Dead display

PeterKg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

New here! Long time reader. Thank you for this great forum.

I have a problem with my m8, the display / lcd when in use is just completely white, some vertical lines now and then. It happened after increasing brightness I believe.. Camera still takes photos, no problem with that! But it is hard to use as changing settings becomes very very hard.

I asked at the Leica shop in Vienna and they said repair is not possible.

Doea anybody now here of a person who could repair this? Or replace the lcd?

Thanks so much!

Peter

Welcome here Peter.

Sorry for you.

LCD was one of the first parts not repairable in M8 (maybe for ten years ?).

The only alternative is to find a donor M8 (shutter fail for example with LCD modul valid ).

The menu in M8 is so simple that, you can still use it, if you want to,

try to set without the LCD using manual or one valid M8, then note the few settings (to use without LCD).

Edited by a.noctilux

13 hours ago, PeterKg said:

Hi,

New here! Long time reader. Thank you for this great forum.

I have a problem with my m8, the display / lcd when in use is just completely white, some vertical lines now and then. It happened after increasing brightness I believe.. Camera still takes photos, no problem with that! But it is hard to use as changing settings becomes very very hard.

I asked at the Leica shop in Vienna and they said repair is not possible.

Doea anybody now here of a person who could repair this? Or replace the lcd?

Thanks so much!

Peter

Try this: Remove the battery for four or five days to drain the internal battery to reset the camera. After that period of time put the battery in and fire it up to see if it is cured.

Thank you for the responses, really appreciated. I keep my eye open for a donor M8, prices however over the last few years do not seem to go further down, by the way, they may even go up somewhat.

Thanks for the suggestions on changing settings -  this works. But it is easier with the display of course. But apart from changing settings it is not a major problem at all, I do not miss the lcd for viewing the images; I have actually a cheap Leica M-D now :-)

I will test the suggestion from jdlaing, thank you; will report back if it works!

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Small update: was using the camera all the time so no opportunity to drain the internal battery. However, I did try whether downgrading/upgrading firmware would solve it (as I assume this results in some kind of 'reset' as well). Unfortunately it does not help. The camera does upgrade/downgrade (I can see the firmware version in the exif) but the display issue remains. I am afraid I have to live with it or buy a 'new' camera.

• Like 1