Firmware Update For SL Lenses?

Wolfgang1756

The lens firmware is included in the camera firmware and will be installed automatically as soon as you mount the lens the first time. It is also accessible in the camera menu. It has never been available separately 

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2021/09/new-firmware-for-leica-sl2-sl2-s-sl-601-sl-lenses/

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jaapv said:

The lens firmware is included in the camera firmware and will be installed automatically as soon as you mount the lens the first time. It is also accessible in the camera menu. It has never been available separately 

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2021/09/new-firmware-for-leica-sl2-sl2-s-sl-601-sl-lenses/

FW 2.0 was available separately, about a year ago.

vor einer Stunde schrieb jrp:

Leica does release separate lens firmware updates. I'd be surprised if they were not installable via a Panasonic. 

Exactly. I could have sworn that I saw it before on Leica's old website. Sadly they are now gone!

The L-Mount "Alliance" has a website with links to firmware updates for all lenses in the "alliance" here:-

https://l-mount.com/en/firmware

But the link to Leica is dead 😢

Why don’t you give Leica a call or contact their support via email?  They have the files, even if the site is in total disarray.  It should be trivial for them to send you a correct link.

Copied directly from their global website:

Leica Camera AG
Customer Care
Am Leitz-Park 5 
35578 Wetzlar

customer.care@leica-camera.com

phone: +49(0)6441 2080 189

vor 20 Minuten schrieb Anakronox:

Why don't you give Leica a call or contact their support via email? They have the files, even if the site is in total disarray. It should be trivial for you to send you a correct link.

Copied directly from their global website:

Leica Camera AG
Customer Care
Am Leitz-Park 5 
35578 Wetzlar

customer.care@leica-camera.com

phone: +49 (0) 6441 2080 189 

I did. They asked me to send them the lens! I don't want to do that when it is so easy to update it myself.

• 2 weeks later...

It is possible to update the firmware of the apo-summicron-sl 35mm using a Panasonic Lumix S5. In short, download firmware file from Leica support site, rename file to a "8.3 name", follow standard update procedure.

In detail:
goto  https://leica-camera.com/
Select menu Service, Support, downloads, "Firmware SL-Lenses"
(or direct: https://leica-camera.com/sites/default/files/2021-12/SLLens03_1.plf)

This will download the file "SLLens03_1.plf" to your computer. Apparently, the filename is too long for Lumix S5 to be recognized as a firmware file. So rename the file to e.g. "SLLe03_1.plf" (8 chars + dot + 3 chars extension). Now follow the standard update procedure, i.e. copy file to SD card, select camera menu item to update, etc.

After the update, the camera shows "Lens firmware   Ver.2.0"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, bandrews said:

Does anyone know if the opposite is possible - using an SL2-S to update a Sigma lens? Reluctant to buy a USB hub to do it.

I don't have access to an SL2-S so could not test it myself, but since this is all L-mount one can expect it to work. Maybe also giving some hope on success: Lumix S5 updates the firmware of Sigma 45mm f2.8 DG DN without a problem using the same procedure as to update Leica SL lens. There is at least some cross-platform compatibility (understatement). Sorry, not the answer to your question, just an expectation.

20 hours ago, bandrews said:

Does anyone know if the opposite is possible - using an SL2-S to update a Sigma lens? Reluctant to buy a USB hub to do it.

Yes, it works. Just download the FW image from Sigma’s website onto your SD card, insert card to the SL2-S and then go to the camera menu to the lens firmware page and you can update the lens FW.

11 hours ago, andries said:

I don't have access to an SL2-S so could not test it myself, but since this is all L-mount one can expect it to work. Maybe also giving some hope on success: Lumix S5 updates the firmware of Sigma 45mm f2.8 DG DN without a problem using the same procedure as to update Leica SL lens. There is at least some cross-platform compatibility (understatement). Sorry, not the answer to your question, just an expectation.

4 hours ago, beewee said:

Yes, it works. Just download the FW image from Sigma’s website onto your SD card, insert card to the SL2-S and then go to the camera menu to the lens firmware page and you can update the lens FW.

Excellent. Thank you.