TT artisans and 7 artisans ,the best leica lenses in the world.

The 7 artisans story is out there on the internet.

A keen group of camera enthusiasts who decided to use the various skills they had to produce lenses,the group ended up with 7 main members and called themselves the 7 artisans.

The pictures of the group show them to be young men and women perhaps surprisingly? 

The 2 lenses i own are externally copies of the leica 50 and 75 noctilux but with completely different optical design.

On 12/19/2021 at 7:16 AM, mikemgb said:

I have the 7Artisans 50mm f1.1 that I use regularly on my M2, while it isn’t as sharp as my 50mm Summicron it’s still an amazing lens for the price.

i have almost all the 50's of leica glasses and the 7Artisan 1.1 50mm is still another useful addition in terms of characters... like no other and for its price, a no brainer

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cboy said:

Good point. They just make their lenses look like m lenses ... faux leica m. lol

And there's nothing wrong with that. There was a niche to be filled and they decided to fill it. The fact that so many companies are releasing M mount lenses means there's a market for that. 

We should be grateful to have so many options available for our cameras. There's never been a better time to be a M shooter.

Edited by Simone_DF
  • Like 2

On 12/19/2021 at 10:16 AM, Sailronin said:

I have the 7Artisans 75mm f1.25 and have been pleasantly surprised at the images produced by that lens.  I thought it would be so soft as to un-useable but actually it's not bad stopped down.

i think most lenses are nice stopped down ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/19/2021 at 12:16 AM, mikemgb said:

I have the 7Artisans 50mm f1.1 that I use regularly on my M2, while it isn’t as sharp as my 50mm Summicron it’s still an amazing lens for the price.

With the greatest of respect, Mike, it might be that the 7A isn't quite 100% calibrated for your M2. Calibrating these things to work perfectly at both min. focus and infinity at all apertures requires a great deal of precise adjustment which is hard enough to do with a digital body let alone trying to do the same with a film M.

There is also a certain amount of variation between individual examples of these lenses. I bought one (in black-chrome finish) which I managed to pair perfectly with, iinitially, my M9-P and subsequently with my M-D Typ-262 but could never get it to work 100% with my Monochrom. I bought a second lens (in silver-chrome) and that one I did manage to match correctly with the Monochrom. Neither lens work as well on the 'wrong body' for some reason even although all my other lenses work perfectly on either body.

Don't quite know why.

In terms of sharpness; I carried out a studio-based comparison with the 7A 50mm f1.1 alongside a selection of other 50s including a v4 Summicron, an f2.8 Elmar (M), an early '50s (Serenar-style) f1.8 Canon LTM and something else which I can't quite remember(?). As expected the Summicron was always the 'best performer' overall but by f4 it was becoming very difficult to see any real difference - at pixel-peeping magnification - between any of the group anywhere in the image-area apart from the extreme edges and corners where the Summicron was still a bit better than the rest; I couldn't quite believe how close the 7A ran the Summicron overall. By f8 it really made no difference which lens was used; they were all superb. So much so that I realised that the 7A could easily be a very attractive all-rounder; giving weirdness at f1.1 to behaving 'properly' at most normal (for me) shooting apertures.

My biggest gripe about the 7a 50mm f1.1 - length of time needed for perfect calibration apart - is that I've yet to find any way of using a lenshood. As minimum aperture is nearing the tendency for corner cut-off becomes a real problem. Anything screwed into the filter thread will cause cut-off at f11 / f16. I've tried hoods on their own; doesn't work. I've tried step-up rings and larger diameter hoods; doesn't work. The internal threaded part of the extreme front rim-edge must be only a millimetre or so from causing cut off as it is therefore nothing can be screwed onto the lens.

Still; I don't often shoot at those apertures to avoid diffraction so hardly a deal-breaker.

Philip.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cboy said:

Hopefully one day there'll be a day a lens that surpasses a Leica lens in all aspects expect the price😉. The ttarisan 28mm f1.4 is a killer lens btw

I really hope that one day a leica lens will surpass various third party lenses in all aspects but its very unlikely.

Though credit to leica they at least stay ahead on price.

Edited by steve 1959

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/24/2021 at 8:15 AM, erniethemilk said:

@steve 1959 What’s your experience of the 7 artisan 75mm f1.25 lens at mid apertures such as f4-f11. I’d like to pick up a longer lens for woodland work to see if it’s a focal length I like but for testing the focal length out I don’t want to commit to a large(ish) budget. 

I recently took some pics of the second severn crossing from the bristol side of the bridge at mid apertures with the 7 artisans 75mm and my 50mm summicrom version 5 and in all honesty  chinese lens was hopelessly outclassed and quite soft and dull compared to the summicrom.

I have taken some nice portraits wide open down to f2.8 with the 7 artisans 75mm but i am not so keen on its output in a landscape setting although in fairness the summicrom is a well known high quality late mandler lens.

If you have already bought it ignore what i am saying!!

6 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

I recently took some pics of the second severn crossing from the bristol side of the bridge at mid apertures with the 7 artisans 75mm and my 50mm summicrom version 5 and in all honesty  chinese lens was hopelessly outclassed and quite soft and dull compared to the summicrom.

I have taken some nice portraits wide open down to f2.8 with the 7 artisans 75mm but i am not so keen on its output in a landscape setting although in fairness the summicrom is a well known high quality late mandler lens.

If you have already bought it ignore what i am saying!!

Thanks Steve, appreciate you coming back to me. I have the same Summicron and have been very happy with that lens. Think I’ll pass on the 7artisans and look elsewhere!