infrared camera

ECohen

vor 5 Stunden schrieb jaapv:

Hot spot should not be a real problem in the digital world. Simple flat field correction will solve it with one click.

Unfortunately it is. I have used an M8 for infrared photography. Not all lenses are suited for infrared. I had decent results with the 50 and 35 mm Summarits, but you can still see hints of a hot spot, differently colored. Before modifying a camera I would make some tests with an infrared filter on the camera in question. There is/was a list of suitable lenses somewhere, but it did not include compacts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EUSe said:

Unfortunately it is. I have used an M8 for infrared photography. Not all lenses are suited for infrared. I had decent results with the 50 and 35 mm Summarits, but you can still see hints of a hot spot, differently colored. Before modifying a camera I would make some tests with an infrared filter on the camera in question. There is/was a list of suitable lenses somewhere, but it did not include compacts.

Did you try flat field correction? It is a one-click thing once you have set it up.

I thought I had read someplace that there was an adjustment made to the auto focus. When the camera is adapted to infrared

or just stop down since it’s landscape photography is my primary use.

by the way thanks to all who are replying to this it  helps to talk it through. I’m not sure whether my X2 has any trade-in value so I thought I could get more use out of it as an IR camera

this excerpt came from Life Pixel FAQ  Am I reading it correctly?

Point & Shoot CalibrationSince point & shoot cameras come with a lens built into the camera we calibrate the camera to focus accurately with this lens only (obviously).

Edited by ECohen

On 12/19/2021 at 2:54 AM, jaapv said:

Hot spot should not be a real problem in the digital world. Simple flat field correction will solve it with one click.

Hot spots in general are a dark current issue, not being solved by flat fielding! Hot or cold pixels cannot be solved by flat field either.

Hermann-Josef

I won't dispute the theory (although it is surprising  that a dark current issue can be resolved by using another lens) but I  found it quite effective doing the correction on my M8 for IR, but then I converted to B&W unlike the thread referred to.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb ECohen:

I thought I had read someplace that there was an adjustment made to the auto focus. When the camera is adapted to infrared

or just stop down since it’s landscape photography is my primary use.

by the way thanks to all who are replying to this it  helps to talk it through. I’m not sure whether my X2 has any trade-in value so I thought I could get more use out of it as an IR camera

this excerpt came from Life Pixel FAQ  Am I reading it correctly?

Point & Shoot CalibrationSince point & shoot cameras come with a lens built into the camera we calibrate the camera to focus accurately with this lens only (obviously).

Generally autofocus works quite well with unmodified cameras. Manual focus is a little more difficult, but no issue with live view. I used to stop down to f/8 with my M8 and focused a little closer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ECohen said:

thought I had read someplace that there was an adjustment made to the auto focus. When the camera is adapted to infrared

i have 3 cameras from Kolari Vision, they adjust the focusing for infrared based on your lens, and if no lens is supplied they will mention how they adjust it for AF, MF is no problem at all whether through Liveview or EVF

am sure lifepixel do something similar

Example:

Eos RP infrared 850nm with Leica 90mm APO Summicron M ASPH

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Example 2 with AF not leica but for general info:

Sony A5100 Infrared 850nm, sony FE85mm

Edited by frame-it

3 hours ago, ECohen said:

These samples great. Thank you.

This conversion will definitely get me more life from my X2 

So 850nm for B+W work …which is all I’m interested in.

and you prefer Kolari Vision?

850 is deep infrared, most people prefer 720nm as their first, my first IR camera was also 720nm, but i love pure b&w so for the next 2 went with 850nm, keep in mind 850 needs a lot of sunlight, and if you do go with kolari you may want to order the IR torch as well.

i never tried lifepixel but a few people on the T side of the  forum have.

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 1

vor 4 Stunden schrieb ECohen:

These samples great. Thank you.

This conversion will definitely get me more life from my X2 

So 850nm for B+W work …which is all I’m interested in.

and you prefer Kolari Vision?

I found 850 to be too much, especially if you plan to produce color versions by swapping color channels (see below, M8), but it is a question of taste, as exposure times will shorten after conversion. 

• Like 3

Hi, I have had many cameras converted to IR, with AF too, and if the company know what they are doing there should be no issue with AF at all.

It's great fun playing with IR. I used to really enjoy doing portraits using different MUA's and concepts. GO FOR IT!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jaapv said:

I won't dispute the theory (although it is surprising  that a dark current issue can be resolved by using another lens)

If this is the case, it was not a dark current issue. It is as simple as that. Understanding the theory helps diagnosing the problem.

Hermann-Josef