SL 90-280 rear element dust

Shawn30

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I picked up a open box 90-280 and the rear element has dust. I’ve tried the blower, a new Leica lens cloth dry and moistened. I can’t get it clean, in fact it seems like it gets worse sometimes. I’m not saying I want it clean room clean, but the dust that’s there isn’t normal. 
Does anyone have any tips?

Shawn30,  I recommend if the rear element can't be cleaned as it appears from what you wrote, take the open-box lens back to the dealer and ask them to clean it.  If they can't do it, ask for a refund or have the dealer send it to Leica for service.  Whatever the substance might be, you don't want to damage the rear element (or front glass for that matter) cleaning it yourself.  You did the right normal procedure, only there is something else on the glass.  Might well be the reason you got the lens as an "open box".  Hope this helps.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 3

So the reason the dust couldn't be removed is that it's internal. Some glitter a bit. Looking from front to rear magnifies them & It looks like some are fibers from a cleaning cloth. I assumed it was on the outside of the sealed lens. I can't imagine it would meet any spec at Leica.

It's being shipped back today.......