Noctilux aperture ring looser after service

vikag

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently sent in my Noctilux F1.0 50mm for 6 bit coding service to Leica NJ. I got the lens back today and right away I noticed that the aperture ring is now loose. I’ve attached a video. Play it with sound, you can hear the tick sound.  
let me know if any of you think this is an issue and I should send it back to them. 

Vikag,  If you are not satisfied with the service on your 50 Noctilux, I suggest you send it back.  Leica NJ usually expedites repair returns.  Also, check the aperture to see if you like the level of positive detents.  I like my M lenses to have a positive click at each f/stop.  They can adjust that too.  I would include a copy of your video clip with your letter of instruction so the tech can see and hear the issue.  It is Christmas...so expect a delay from NJ.  You paid the money, get the service that makes you happy.  Happy Holidays!    r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10

how come the same problem repeat & repeat again & again...?  don't Leica have a knowledge base that every technician needs to pay attention to some common problems?  3 out of my 4 leica lenses are having this problem after service or even new in the box.  It seems like one gimmick to get customer back to spend money - very dodgy and annoying.

1 hour ago, jaeger said:

how come the same problem repeat & repeat again & again...?  don't Leica have a knowledge base that every technician needs to pay attention to some common problems?  3 out of my 4 leica lenses are having this problem after service or even new in the box.  It seems like one gimmick to get customer back to spend money - very dodgy and annoying.

I have pictures of before and after service. The screw below aperture ring was never visible before service. And it is now after service. And it’s so now you can only see half of the screw. It’s like they tried to assemble it back and didn’t know how to do it properly. I am going to escalate this with Wetzlar so that they know what Allendale is upto. I’m actually super mad at them. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, vikag said:

I have pictures of before and after service. The screw below aperture ring was never visible before service. And it is now after service. And it’s so now you can only see half of the screw. It’s like they tried to assemble it back and didn’t know how to do it properly. I am going to escalate this with Wetzlar so that they know what Allendale is upto. I’m actually super mad at them. 

I have similar experiences about NJ and they screwed my entire M system and took me almost 2 years working with Wetzlar to correct their "crime".  At the beginning I didn't want them to service my gears, I told them their reviews are horrifying but they said they have improved so I gave them a try and it was a big mistake!  I warn people here as much as I can and I also said those bad google reviews are real.

Edited by jaeger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, jaeger said:

I have similar experiences about NJ and they screwed my entire M system and took me almost 2 years working with Wetzlar to correct their "crime".  At the beginning I didn't want them to service my gears, I told them their reviews are horrifying but they said they have improved so I gave them a try and it was a big mistake!  I warn people here as much as I can and I also said those bad google reviews are real.

How do you get Wetzlar to agree to service your gear if you are in North America? I actually contact Wetzlar everytime I have an issue and they always redirect me to Allendale. 

I just got a response back from Leica NJ Allendale that they will need to do a fresh quote for parts and labour on the lens. And that they did not inspect the lens. They only did 6 bit coding and sent it back. Which is very strange because I had sent other equipment which they “inspected” without  me asking for it but somehow (conveniently) didn’t inspect my Noctilux.

I called Germany customer care and explained the situation to them and they were quite surprised by the Allendale response. I’ve copied them on my email chain now.  

Update : Received a response from Leica NJ that because they have limited parts they do not inspect the lens fully as they may not be able to repair it if they break something. And they also mentioned that it could be that my lens aperture ring became loose in transit. 

I am having serious doubts about Leica now. 

Another update: They emailed back again saying that the Noctilux will back focus on digital cameras even after 6 bit coding. I thought they calibrate the lens with 6 bit coding. Both my invoice and customer care confirmed it. Does anyone else have a similar experience?

2 hours ago, vikag said:

Another update: They emailed back again saying that the Noctilux will back focus on digital cameras even after 6 bit coding. I thought they calibrate the lens with 6 bit coding. Both my invoice and customer care confirmed it. Does anyone else have a similar experience?

No way to calibrate a lens with regard to six bit code. It is only to identify which lens is mounted for exif and corrections. The backfocus depends on the sample you have. Some are different.

6 hours ago, jdlaing said:

No way to calibrate a lens with regard to six bit code. It is only to identify which lens is mounted for exif and corrections. The backfocus depends on the sample you have. Some are different.

No he's saying the 6-Bit Coding service includes focus adjustment due to the varying thickness between the old and new bayonet mount IIRC.

@vikagA couple years ago I had the same doubts about Leica NJ 6-Bit Coding my E58 Noctilux so I had requested they send it to Leica Germany and they were willing to do so on my behalf. I just get it to Leica NJ and they take it from there and get it to Wetzlar on their dime. I of course had already spoken with Wetzlar and told them to expect my lens.

I think Germany referring you to NJ is their way of saying all their facilities perform same quality of repairs, so since you're in the US send it to the nearest facility which is NJ. If they knew what was going on I'm sure they wouldn't suggest that.

I say keep following up with Wetzlar and see that they make this right. I'm hoping they will.

11 hours ago, a5m said:

No he's saying the 6-Bit Coding service includes focus adjustment due to the varying thickness between the old and new bayonet mount IIRC.

@vikagA couple years ago I had the same doubts about Leica NJ 6-Bit Coding my E58 Noctilux so I had requested they send it to Leica Germany and they were willing to do so on my behalf. I just get it to Leica NJ and they take it from there and get it to Wetzlar on their dime. I of course had already spoken with Wetzlar and told them to expect my lens.

I think Germany referring you to NJ is their way of saying all their facilities perform same quality of repairs, so since you're in the US send it to the nearest facility which is NJ. If they knew what was going on I'm sure they wouldn't suggest that.

I say keep following up with Wetzlar and see that they make this right. I'm hoping they will.

@a5m I did some test on my Noctilux F1.0 E60. I found that at F1 it is on focus. But from F1.4 - F5.6 is back focusing. from f8 anyway the DOF is large so it doesn’t bother me there. I am using the M10 camera. Can you please confirm that you are experiencing similar focusing with your Noctilux? Many thanks !

7 hours ago, vikag said:

@a5m I did some test on my Noctilux F1.0 E60. I found that at F1 it is on focus. But from F1.4 - F5.6 is back focusing. from f8 anyway the DOF is large so it doesn’t bother me there. I am using the M10 camera. Can you please confirm that you are experiencing similar focusing with your Noctilux? Many thanks !

I no longer have my Noctilux, but even then I always shot it wide open. Come to think of it I don't think I ever stopped it down...

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I sent my Noctilux F1.0 back to Allendale to fix the aperture ring. This is what they are saying - the aperture ring is within tolerance for the age of the lens. If I really want it fixed it will be at my risk as they don’t have parts. They also said they can forward the lens to Germany. But also said this - “please be advised that maintenance service without the use of spare parts can generally be carried out. The repair possibilities for your lens are limited and depend on the availability of the needed spare parts. A definite evaluation of the repair capacity is possible after inspection of the product. They will ask   for your understanding that a repair/maintenance can only be performed at your own risk. Simply by opening a product it is theoretically possible to cause damage (i.e. screws can break or rip) that cannot be corrected due to missing parts”.

any words of wisdom from the community?

3 hours ago, vikag said:

Update: I sent my Noctilux F1.0 back to Allendale to fix the aperture ring. This is what they are saying - the aperture ring is within tolerance for the age of the lens. If I really want it fixed it will be at my risk as they don’t have parts. They also said they can forward the lens to Germany. But also said this - “please be advised that maintenance service without the use of spare parts can generally be carried out. The repair possibilities for your lens are limited and depend on the availability of the needed spare parts. A definite evaluation of the repair capacity is possible after inspection of the product. They will ask   for your understanding that a repair/maintenance can only be performed at your own risk. Simply by opening a product it is theoretically possible to cause damage (i.e. screws can break or rip) that cannot be corrected due to missing parts”.

any words of wisdom from the community?

Live with it as is. If it functions it works.