New Q2 – All Film Styles Set to "Standard"

hdmesa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone else seen this? Leica has given us the ability to change all three parameters (color, contrast, and sharpness) of each film style, but for some reason on my new Q2 (Reporter), all the styles are set to "Standard" for color, contrast, and sharpness. Same thing for the video styles – all are set to "Standard". I had to go in to all the styles and change them to what I thought they should be based on their names.

Anyone else seeing this? Maybe I missed finding this in previous threads about firmware 3.1.

Edited by hdmesa

This might not help but I'll mention it anyway - on the DL7 the photo styles are all set to 0 at first (contrast, sharpness, saturation, noise reduction and a couple of extras for monochrome).

For example everything is set to 0 on Vivid, everything is set to 0 on Portrait etc.

However switching between them makes an obvious difference. I think that the "0" is at the style's base setting, and then you can tweak from there.

Or I might have completely misunderstood ! 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Geoff777 said:

This might not help but I'll mention it anyway - on the DL7 the photo styles are all set to 0 at first (contrast, sharpness, saturation, noise reduction and a couple of extras for monochrome).

For example everything is set to 0 on Vivid, everything is set to 0 on Portrait etc.

However switching between them makes an obvious difference. I think that the "0" is at the style's base setting, and then you can tweak from there.

Or I might have completely misunderstood ! 😂

I think this must be the case. But it's just weird because when I go into edit a style and I see "Standard" ("0" in your case), I worry that if I back out of the style without making any changes that I've just changed that style to be all "Standard". I'm guessing if I don't actually perform the edit, then the "Standard" doesn't actually take effect. Strange logic, IMO.

3 hours ago, nwphil said:

well, I have Q2, so the color parameter is not available, but once i choose let's say sharpness, default is standard and then I can choose from low to high...

Is this what you are talking about?

Yes, but say you want to edit the VIVID style, and you go into the menu where that is done – all the parameters are set to "Standard". Because of this, I have no idea what the default VIVID style is supposed to be. It's also not clear if "Standard" saturation for VIVID is the same as "Standard" saturation for NATURAL. That is, if I increase the saturation setting for NATURAL to High, is that the same as setting the VIVID saturation to High?

Edited by hdmesa

4 hours ago, hdmesa said:

Yes, but say you want to edit the VIVID style, and you go into the menu where that is done – all the parameters are set to "Standard". Because of this, I have no idea what the default VIVID style is supposed to be. It's also not clear if "Standard" saturation for VIVID is the same as "Standard" saturation for NATURAL. That is, if I increase the saturation setting for NATURAL to High, is that the same as setting the VIVID saturation to High?

ok, then I am afraid I cannot help clarify things, because I don't have color modes - sepai, blue and selenium do not count :). However with other cameras that allow film modes - Olympus that I have -  the film modes are set by "default" to preset parameters but one can still adjust them a little bit, and yes they are different from each other very clearly

To me, what you are describing makes me believe something is off. You should contact Leica support and explain what's going on. Might be that you can do a reset and reinstall the firmware or could be indeed a faulty file? forgot to ask if you actually performed any upgrade lately....

This thing of having the styles set to generic default parameters does not sound right at all, but I am  not an expert and neither have Q2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, nwphil said:

ok, then I am afraid I cannot help clarify things, because I don't have color modes - sepai, blue and selenium do not count :). However with other cameras that allow film modes - Olympus that I have -  the film modes are set by "default" to preset parameters but one can still adjust them a little bit, and yes they are different from each other very clearly

To me, what you are describing makes me believe something is off. You should contact Leica support and explain what's going on. Might be that you can do a reset and reinstall the firmware or could be indeed a faulty file? forgot to ask if you actually performed any upgrade lately....

This thing of having the styles set to generic default parameters does not sound right at all, but I am  not an expert and neither have Q2

Seems weird to me, too, but the camera was brand new with the current firmware. I think the default behavior is the default film styles do change when switched, but the first time the user tries to customize one of them, color/sharpness/contrast are all set to "Standard" in the menu where they can be edited.

Example:

Factory default for Q2 (color) film style for Monochrom HC is probably "Sharpness = Standard / Contrast = High", but when I try to make a custom setting for Monochrom HC, I have to start at "Standard" for both parameters. 

Edited by hdmesa