Unveiling M11?

Ba Erv

7 hours ago, overexposed said:

the dealer that sold me a 50APO black chrome today told me he had the chance to play with the M11 yesterday, i didnt get much information but 60mp is confirmed.

the only thing that interested me was the new EVF and he didnt see it

That's interesting. In one video, Peter Karbe said that diffraction starts in at F8 with the higher pixel count (he might have been talking about the SL2, but the M10R would be virtually the same). Would 60MP make for diffraction problems at F5.6?

3 minutes ago, John Smith said:

That's interesting. In one video, Peter Karbe said that diffraction starts in at F8 with the higher pixel count (he might have been talking about the SL2, but the M10R would be virtually the same). Would 60MP make for diffraction problems at F5.6?

i guess so, when i heard its gonna be 60mp i also thought, why? nice to have yes, but not really necessary

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

Assuming you find mob violence humorous, of course. 😃

The real danger is not from the Leica faithful being disappointed by the unveiling an accessory rather than the M11, but rather from the very real danger of a coordinated smash and grab attack by a gang of violent criminal thugs. 

I fervently hope that Leica Store Los Angeles has or will give that some serious consideration and will have security forces in place to keep both the customers and the store safe from such savagery.

This is not a reassuring assessment of the situation in Los Angeles:  https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021/12/07/we-cant-guarantee-your-safety-head-of-lapds-police-officers-union-warns-tourists-away/

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Thanks 1

For a moment I actually thought about going to the LA event and hobnobbing with the Hollywood elite.  Then, I snapped back to reality and remembered my Leicas are more at home on a muddy scooter in the Mekong Delta or a backroad Albanian village. Lenny will just have to find another wingman.😎

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Ba Erv said:

For a moment I actually thought about going to the LA event and hobnobbing with the Hollywood elite.  Then, I snapped back to reality and remembered my Leicas are more at home on a muddy scooter in the Mekong Delta or a backroad Albanian village. Lenny will just have to find another wingman.😎

Same here - Mongolia's Buddhist monasteries in my case.

Most definitely Lenny's loss, not yours.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, overexposed said:

i guess so, when i heard its gonna be 60mp i also thought, why? nice to have yes, but not really necessary

The resolution difference between 47 and 60MP is rather insignificant.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

The resolution difference between 47 and 60MP is rather insignificant.

I am certainly a high megapixel fan, but I’m inclined to agree. Indeed, I even own a GFX100S (102mp), and whilst for some subjects there is a difference in fine detail vs my former SL2 in (say) 40-50” prints, it’s not always as big a difference as you’d expect. 

The difference in prints is often better seen as a result of sensor size (physical dimensions), not MP, especially in tonal transitions. The S3, with 64 MP, will potentially yield nicer prints, at equivalent sizes, than a 60-ish MP M11. Of course there are myriad other variables that determine whether a print is special or not, including user abilities.  MP isn’t typically among the more important print variables, especially given appropriate viewing distances.

Jeff

• Like 5

Getting more megapixels than 24 (SL2-S, CL) is the least of the issues stopping me from taking better photographs. It's also well down the list of technical issues stopping me making better photographs: behind low light noise and colour, autofocus performance, EVF speed/responsiveness....... And in the M, a silent shutter, accurate framelines.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 2