Any ideas what this - light leak? or something else

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Leica Forum

I have a Leica M4-P which I use mainly with a Summicron DR. Ive started to notice on a few frames per roll that I get a band (darker area) running across the same part of the frame as attached. This isn't scanning related as visible on the negative. Ive tried to identify the exact circumstances that this occurs but its inconclusive including is it when I change lens / use of filter on the front / bright light plus angle of light. Ive ruled most of these out but it does seem to mainly occur in brighter light situations but not always at same angle to light source. Is this a standard light leak or can this happen from filter usage? Many thanks 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

My guess would be that it has something to do with the shutter curtain lagging slightly at the beginning or end of its travel. I think if it was the light seals the line would be fuzzier, but this line is perfectly straight. A clean, lube and adjust by a Leica-trained or experienced technician should be able to get it sorted.

Many thanks for all the replies. Its puzzling - I shot 7 rolls of film the same week and two rolls don't have any frames with this issue. The other rolls have this issue on 1 - 3 frames per roll. There is also no sign of light leaks on the sprocket holes / edges of the affected frames which is confusing.

I can't see it would be a processing issue personally as I process about 50 rolls a year myself and have never seen this issue before. Half the rolls a year are from a Nikon - this has just occurred on the M4-P. The band is always in the same place as well. I did check feel of chemistry etc but I always use slightly more to fully cover the film holder in the tank.

Ive checked back through my archive and it looks like this is a recent issue. The only thing I did differently for the last 7 rolls was heavy usage of a yellow filter and also changing lens in the field more than I usually do but unsure how that would lead to any issues.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’d agree to look at processing, for example a film spiral loading issue reducing the flow of developer getting to a bit of the film (hence underdeveloped, hence lighter on the negative, darker in the print/scan inversion). Not the only possibility, but one to check.

Check the lower left of the hinged door on the back of the camera. The light leak looks like its being 'blocked' by the lower side of the shutter recess so my best guess is that its a leak from the bottom part of the back of the camera and from the position it may well be the bottm left. Easy check is to put a film in, leave the camera in strong light back upwards for several hours, then put aluminium foil over the camera lower left and leave it in the same illuminated place for the same time. If the problem is only on the uncovered camera you will have isolated the leak area.

Edited by pgk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, a.noctilux said:

Is this band continuing toward the sprockets also ?

As said, dark band can not be light leak.

I've attached an image of one of the negatives. The sprockets on all the suspect frames as totally clear as expected .

22 minutes ago, 105012 said:

I’d agree to look at processing, for example a film spiral loading issue reducing the flow of developer getting to a bit of the film (hence underdeveloped, hence lighter on the negative, darker in the print/scan inversion). Not the only possibility, but one to check.

Thanks, I will investigate this. I use a standard Paterson spiral and tank but will double check loading technique incase im going astray somewhere.

22 minutes ago, pgk said:

Check the lower left of the hinged door on the back of the camera. The light leak looks like its being 'blocked' by the lower side of the shutter recess so my best guess is that its a leak from the bottom part of the back of the camera and from the position it may well be the bottm left. Easy check is to put a film in, leave the camera in strong light back upwards for several hours, then put aluminium foil over the camera lower left and leave it in the same illuminated place for the same time. If the problem is only on the uncovered camera you will have isolated the leak area.

Many thanks for suggestion, this sounds like a good test to hone in on possible problem. Would a light leak in this area bleed into (be visible) on the sprocket holes of the negative? I have attached a picture of the negative in a previous post. Thanks 

Just now, a.noctilux said:

Is this band continuing toward the sprockets also ?

As said, dark band can not be light leak.

To my eyes, Arnaud, it looks like the dark band is an area protected from a possible light-leak. Consider the window-panes at right of image in post #7. The dark band from top-right downwards looks correctly exposed; it's the light area to the left of that band which looks like possible fogging due to light-leak.

I've no idea how, though. I've just checked the construction of my M2 and I can't quite see how light could easily get around the rear-frame design. I think Paul's suggestion is a good one. Two frames; one with the back 'clear' and one with the back 'blocked' should be sufficient to either confirm or rule-out this area as being the problem.

Philip.

I have had something similar in a shot into the sun with a lot of flare. M4 + Summilux-m 35 pre-asph., Tri-X

But not in just bright light, towards the sun shots with less flare.

As it wasn't a pervasive problem, I filed it under 'Interesting' and 'To look at sometime'.

I agree, it is obviously not a light leak. Like the OP it is at the top of the image, and the bottom of the frame in the camera. I reckoned the flare was actually a reflection off some other part of the lens or body, and the strip was a shadow from part of the frame. I haven't yet looked inside the camera to see if that is plausible. 

Adan explained this type of flare very well

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/315481-problem-with-refraction-of-light/?do=findComment&comment=4086698

in this thread

I had this on M-D also

• Like 2

21 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Many thanks for this! Very helpful