Leica R to Sony FE adapter recommendations

pgk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have one R lens - a 21mm f/3.4 Sper-Angulon - which works fine on my M via a 22228 adapter but I also want to use it on my Sony A7 series cameras. The 22228 won't fit into a Metabones Leica M to Sony FE adapter because there is a bayonet extension which blocks it, so I'm looking to buy a Leica R to Sony FE adapter, prefereably for not too much cost. Can anyone recommend a reasonably cheap dumb adapter please?

I have a Gorilla Film Gear LER to E adapter which cost AU$20, and a Novoflex LER to E mount adapter for AU$230, both purchased off eBay. The Novoflex is certainly  a better made product, with much tighter tolerances, but I'm not sure it is 10x as good as the cheaper one. The Chinese Gorilla adapter  is pretty tight, and I can't see any difference in handling between either of them. I would assume that there is likely to be greater copy variation with the cheaper one.

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The problem I have found with "cheap" adapters is that the lens-flange distance is often out, resulting in variable quality images IF you have lenses with moving internal elements (eg. R 28mm V2).

After monkeying around with a lot of different adapters, finally found out about Rayqual adapters. Have found these are the only ones which actually have the exact front-to-back flange distances, meaning infinity focus, is actually… infinity.

https://www.amazon.com/Kindai-rayqual-Adapter-Minolta-Japan/dp/B00KKIX0CC?th=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Keith (M) said:

I use a variety of R lenses on my A7III with a Novoflex NEX/LER adapter.  Superb quality.

I also have this adapter.

Improved it by covering the cylindrical interior with black velvet to reduce internal reflections.

Also shimmed the lens-mount to make the flange-to-chip-plane distance the exact 47.00mm required by Leica R lenses (used a digital caliper to confirm).  

The Novoflex is now in spec 🙂.

Here is a link to an online discussion about shimming lens mount adapters:  https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63458995

Edited by AZN

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have 7 R lenses. 6 of those lenses have been modified for cinema use. 3 of those have the Leitax mount (EF), and the other 3 I modified with Simmod mounts. Those mounts actually mount to the R mount, then convert it to EF. I then use a Sigma MC11 or Metabones EF to FE to use on my Sony FX6 and A7SIII. However, if you want to have the original R mount still on there, I have a Kipon L/R-NEX adapter that will go from the R to Sony cameras. Those are pretty cheap. Long story short, you have options. I know that some people have problems with the flange distance on cheap adapters. If that's the case, I'd convert the mount via the Leitax or Simmod route, then use an EF to FE adapter like I mentioned before.