R3 mirror sticking up

the_brotographer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So yesterday I just got a mint R3 safari edition, or at least I thought it was. It is from a reputable Leica store. They tested all the shutter speeds and everything. When I put my first roll of film in it today, it shot about 10 shots perfectly fine, then the mirror started to slowly raise when the shutter button was pressed, and it would stay raised until I press the DOF preview lever. I replaced the battery as well after that, but it is still happening now at all shutter speeds. For some weird reason, if I put the camera upside down  and open the back door, it doesn’t seem to happen very often, almost like gravity is assisting it. Is it possible that my brand of battery isn’t powerful enough, and isn’t raising the mirror like it should? I have seen a few other people have this problem, but never found a conclusive answer. 

Edited by the_brotographer
Misspelling

25 minutes ago, Charles Morgan said:

No.

Return it.

Bummer. The store should accept the return. They’re a Leica boutique. I just confirmed that if I put the camera upside down, it fires no problem. It’s like the mirror isn’t getting enough power to combat gravity. Also, when I go from say F2 to F22 it will then work, as the parts move in the lens. 

5 minutes ago, Charles Morgan said:

It's a pain, but these things happen. I've had enough older cameras and lenses arrive with issues that I no longer worry about returns. I won't now deal with anyone who makes returns difficult or who regularly sells me misdescribed things. 

Bummer. I’ve done business with them before, hopefully they don’t charge a restocking fee. They claimed it worked at all shutter speeds, but probably didn’t test it thoroughly enough since it looked mint. They also have a 90 day used gear warranty, so I hope I’m good on that front. Now to brave the Bay Area traffic. 

Would you recommend something like an R6.2 over the R3 since it’s fully mechanical? 

Sorry to hear they might even contemplate such a thing - here no such nonsense is lawful, goods can be returned for any reason up to two weeks and if defective up to six months.

I have no experience of the R6s to be able to say with confidence if it is a good replacement. As with all these cameras now it's the ability to find someone to repair them with the necessary parts. I'm getting out of older cameras with parts or repair issues - I don't shoot enough 35mm film nowadays to need more than a few, 

Sorry to hear that Leica R3 has troubles.

Myself, I was happy user of Leica R3 Mot that I had before R4.

Now for some years back, each time that I use the R3 Mot, it's not reliable in shutter speed, switch false contacts, lazy shutter release, etc.

So now it's not  in service for long (or forever I fear).

Our two R6 still in working order after thirty years.

My Leicaflex SL is reliable and never need repair/CLA, I think this one may be the right choice in R camera.

this one in the thread just under this

12 hours ago, Charles Morgan said:

Sorry to hear they might even contemplate such a thing - here no such nonsense is lawful, goods can be returned for any reason up to two weeks and if defective up to six months.

I have no experience of the R6s to be able to say with confidence if it is a good replacement. As with all these cameras now it's the ability to find someone to repair them with the necessary parts. I'm getting out of older cameras with parts or repair issues - I don't shoot enough 35mm film nowadays to need more than a few, 

I’m just getting into them, so my collection is small! 

just for context, I shot a video of the problem in case anyone else has solved the problem. 

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to give you guys a heads up as to the ending of this issue in case anyone else comes across this at a future date. Because I just purchased the R3 camera from a very reputable Bay Area Leica store (Camera West in Walnut Creek), they were able to send off the camera to DAG. Apparently there is a huge delay on getting cameras repaired because they are so reputable, but my store has such a good reputation that mine was able to be repaired in about four weeks. DAG replaced the mirror spring (I think that was it), a few other things, and gave it a full CLA. It now works like a charm. I'm almost through my first roll and couldn't be happier. 

Edited by the_brotographer
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I see many contributors mention the Leicaflex. I’m a great fan of the original or standard Leicaflex. It’s the sheer build quality and finish that attracts me. Easily the same quality as my pair of M3 bodies, used very regularly since 2007. The bright screen of the Leicaflex with focus by the central spot fools some people until it’s explained. I’m not keen on the split image focus aid as with F4 lenses (35mm PA Curtagon shift and 100mm Macro Elmarit - a fabulous portrait lens) makes these aids black out. Not so the central spot in a Leicaflex original model. 
I don’t use the inbuilt, non-TTL meter. I prefer handheld. My kit comprises two bodies (64&66) 35/2 50/2 90/2. Ektar 100 and FP4. Weston V and Studio leader for incident, no batteries. Negatives scanned to disc so we are digital too! (Alright, stop laughing).