what to sell: 35mm Canada Summilux V1 - or 35mm Summilux ASPH?

jaques

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have to make a decision- sell my collectible v1 canada summilux with infinity lock- or sell my newly acquired summilux ASPH lens (pre fle). I just got the ASPH lens along with a leica M8 for a very good price- but I cannot afford or justify keeping the M8 and lens unless I sell something else to make room for it. I hadn't planned to buy the m8 and lens- I just stumbled into a deal that was way too good to pass. If I keep it it will be the most modern Leica lens I own and the only aspherical one.

Which lens would you keep?

Edited by jaques

Advertisement (gone after registration)

the Lux V1 will without a doubt keep increasing in value & if you sell it you'll never be able to find one at the price you originally got it. Now if you're just keeping it to collect rather than use, I'd say sell it so someone else can enjoy it :) But if you do use it, def keep it over the asph

• Like 2

Hello Jaques,

Whatever you do, it would be the right decision, anyway.

This question reminds me of some of my past lenses,

many with  no regret at all, but some regretted and when searching them again after some time, two things : the lens is unable to find as good shape as the regretted sold one,

even when I found one the price gained two/three/more the price I sold some years ago.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jdlaing said:

Both

I agree. I found the 35 on an M8 not the best option. Used Leica lenses with a certain fame are quite expensive these days, so you’ll get a lot for them. I found the 28 Summicron the best general purpose lens for the M8 and/or the Summilux 50asph. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jaques said:

Which lens would you keep?

None sorry. The v1 is too soft with too much flare for my taste so i would not keep it but i wouldn't have bought it to begin with since mine is a German made v2. As for the pre FLE i have no experience with it but i bought the FLE to avoid focus shift issues so i wouldn't have acquired the pre-FLE either. Since you asked what i would do i would sell both and acquire a v2 and/or a FLE depending on your tastes. YMMV :cool:.

• Like 1

thanks all- hmm, none of this makes it easier, lol... But I remembered I do have another ASPH 35mm lens: the CV 35/1.2. Haven't used that for a few years so perhaps that can go? Also I do already have an M10 so perhaps I can part with the M8- though I was considering keeping that as my M backup and a dedicated B&W jpeg camera and I do love the black chrome... I have to sell something as I have more than enough leica M lenses... I might weed out some of the lessers- or even sell my super sharp goggled summicron. It's a beauty but the summilux v1 is much more unusual and so small.

as for 'never sell a leica lens'- in theory I agree- unless it's in order to buy another Leica lens...

6 hours ago, jaques said:

thanks all- hmm, none of this makes it easier, lol... But I remembered I do have another ASPH 35mm lens: the CV 35/1.2. Haven't used that for a few years so perhaps that can go? Also I do already have an M10 so perhaps I can part with the M8- though I was considering keeping that as my M backup and a dedicated B&W jpeg camera and I do love the black chrome... I have to sell something as I have more than enough leica M lenses... I might weed out some of the lessers- or even sell my super sharp goggled summicron. It's a beauty but the summilux v1 is much more unusual and so small.

as for 'never sell a leica lens'- in theory I agree- unless it's in order to buy another Leica lens...

Oh, I thought you had a very small amount of Leica goods. But reading this I would sell all my 35’s for the 35APO. The CV won’t get you much money though

1 hour ago, otto.f said:

Oh, I thought you had a very small amount of Leica goods. But reading this I would sell all my 35’s for the 35APO. The CV won’t get you much money though

yes- I have quite a collection of vintage glass. And yes- I wouldn't use a 35mm on an m8 that often- more likely to use a 28mm lens. But the ASP 35mm will be great on the M10.