Annoying cookie popup

jrp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why does the cookie popup asking whether I am prepared to allow my data to be shared come up every day?

I would bet a fair sum that it won’t come up if I allow sharing, unless those who run the forum ask whenever a data sink is added or subtracted from the astonishingly long list of organisations who have access to your data (whether explicitly, or by the “legitimate interest” loophole) if you opt in (but hopefully not if you opt out).

Anyway, it is very annoying .   ‘No’ should be taken for an answer.   If you need more € to run the site, ask Leica, not us, repeatedly. 

Where are you based?

It might be an IP vs European data laws thing. 

I’m in the UK (so not in Europe as far as data laws are concerned) and get the pop up probably every other day. I click once, and it’s gone. Not really a problem here. 

This doesn't happen to me when I use just one device. But the moment I switch from laptop to desktop or back the popup happens again.

I use the Consent-O-Matic plug in for Edge/Chrome that automatically responds for some sites; for most it is unable to respond in full and make the popup go away, but it makes sure most questions are answered 'no, I don't want this'. LUF is one of these. Unfortunately on some sites 'legitimate interest' (weasel words!) check boxes remain permitted unless I intervene. 

Edited by LocalHero1953

So far as I know the EU data laws continue to apply in the UK. Anyway, I would like a ‘don’t collect data about me, including for those claiming a legitimate interest, and don’t ask me again’ setting.

Edited by jrp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, jrp said:

So far as I know the EU data laws continue to apply in the UK. Anyway, I would like a ‘don’t collect data about me, including for those claiming a legitimate interest, and don’t ask me again’ setting.

The UK's Data Protection Act 2018 is the statutory instrument by which the European General Data Protection Regulations are enforced in the UK after the UK left the European Union and the Act is aligned with the Regulations. 

Pete.

Indeed. Although I seem to remember the cookie stuff preceded GDPR.

Anyway, I want to be able to say that I don’t want to be tracked and my data shared with any of the organisations listed in the pop up and to object to their tracking for what they claim to be legitimate interests. 

26 minutes ago, jrp said:

Indeed. Although I seem to remember the cookie stuff preceded GDPR.

Anyway, I want to be able to say that I don’t want to be tracked and my data shared with any of the organisations listed in the pop up and to object to their tracking for what they claim to be legitimate interests. 

I suspect the problem is that you have stopped them tracking that you don't want to be tracked. 
So they keep asking.

I'm sure it is all a ploy by the IT/media giants to irritate us all so much that we press our parliaments to repeal the data protection legislation. They must know they are just pissing us off by giving us a long list of 'legitimate interest' options or media partners to opt out of.  

Edit. Of course one benefit of Brexit could be that we can just pass our own legislation banning cookies, tracking etc entirely.
No more popups, questions - result! Hands up all those who think it will happen?

Edited by LocalHero1953

• 4 weeks later...

As this is still happening I guess it wasn’t covered by the latest upgrade. Because I swap about between four different devices during any day I get this more times than seems reasonable, every time I change to a different device. Can’t it flag me rather than my device?

• 1 month later...