Soft release or mini soft release

kivis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For those of us who do use these shutter buttons on our Leica's, which do you prefer and why? I find myself always using convex mini soft release on my film Leica's but somehow prefer the larger convex button on my M-P 240. I love using them, as it gives me an extra stop (I think).

But they are not without risk. Several years back I had a mini soft release button attached to an M7, it caught on a camera strap attached to another camera around my neck. The M7 became inoperable. Believing that this would void my warranty, I returned it to Leica Miami for repair (ultimately going to NJ for repair or maybe Germany, I don't remember). Anyway the guys at Leica Miami gave me an MP as loaner while M7 went in for repair. Amazingly, the M7 came back with no charge!! 

Edited by kivis

Losing the release has been my only issue.  I prefer the mini concave for my convex finger.  I grind them down if they're too large and over 40 years I've collected quite a few, scattered here and there.  It might be fun to gather them up and photograph the collection, if it can be called that.  

50 minutes ago, 250swb said:

The best thing about soft releases is that you can lose them, the worst thing about them is that you could find them again.

Whilst I couldn’t agree more, the fortunate reality is that once lost in the wild, finding them again is mercifully unlikely.

I gave soft releases a proper trial on two Leicas, but had issues with tilted framing due, I think, to holding the camera differently to utilise the release method (middle of forefinger rather than tip). The potential for camera damage from regular snagging on clothes and bags did it in. 

Original Abrahamsson large size was the best, in answer to the original question. 

• Like 2

Got these off fleabay. They're great as it's cheap and doesn't snag on anything and damage the camera thread.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

But I agree the original abrahamsson are the best, but it's difficult to get in my neck of the woods

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/18/2021 at 11:35 PM, cboy said:

Got these off fleabay. They're great as it's cheap and doesn't snag on anything and damage the camera thread.

But I agree the original abrahamsson are the best, but it's difficult to get in my neck of the woods

That's awesome. could you send us the link?

• 2 weeks later...