How to turn off redundant entries in Unread Content

pop

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 minutes ago, andybarton said:

I’ve just tried it this morning. 

It seems to work on my iPhone. 

In an activity stream, only one post from each thread should be displayed. I still see several.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by evikne

Definitely still an issue for me. I always hit the newspaper icon and scroll the threads.

I have been really struggling to find new posts as I don’t use the filters/follows etc. Unsophisticated I know but it means that I come across random threads in areas I wouldn’t have looked and have found much diverting content that way….

Edited by NigelG
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I guess you have to activate the "condensed" button.

Condensed view doesn’t help for this issue.

• Like 2

both on phone and laptop, I see.

Condensed view doesn’t work as of now (see below). It’s ok in that I can see this is obviously not easy to fix and accept the redundant posts will continue but am just posting in case anyone thinks this has been sorted.

• Like 1

Might it be of note that the two members on the thread (Jaap and Andy) who aren't experiencing the problem are both Moderators whose accounts might necessarily have been set up differently from non-Mods accounts so that they're able to view, for example, content that has been (rightly) hidden from the rest of us? 

Just a thought, and I might be barking up the wrong forest.

Pete.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, farnz said:

Might it be of note that the two members on the thread (Jaap and Andy) who aren't experiencing the problem are both Moderators whose accounts might necessarily have been set up differently from non-Mods accounts so that they're able to view, for example, content that has been (rightly) hidden from the rest of us? 

Just a thought, and I might be barking up the wrong forest.

Pete.

Both Andy and Jaap have the same issue, even if they didn't notice. Andy's screenshot shows the thread about the Sigma 18-50 twice, Jaap has three times the Funleader thread listed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest Nowhereman
On 12/12/2021 at 5:43 AM, LUF Admin said:

Still no idea why this happened but I figured out a way how to fix it.

Needs some work in the background and an update. Will try to do it tomorrow…

Andreas

Now, nine days later, the problem is still there. Is work still going on to try to fix this?

Edited by Nowhereman

Guest Nowhereman
On 12/20/2021 at 3:38 AM, LocalHero1953 said:

There doesn't seem to be much progress with this issue.

And yes, it really does affect my engagement with the forum. I am sure there are plenty of threads I haven't read or caught up with because they have been swamped from my unread content list by multiple posts from just a few popular threads.

I am sure Andreas is doing what he can, but this isn't a minor issue AFAIC.

On 12/20/2021 at 4:39 AM, evikne said:

Perhaps not many users are familiar with this feature, but once you get used to it, it quickly becomes an indispensable way to use the forum.

Surprised to learn that relatively few users are familiar with this activity listing feature, considering its usefulness. I would have thought it would be a major positive feature of this BBS. I guess there is a need for some stickies on how to use LUF features efficiently — once the current board board problem is resolved.

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

Surprised to learn that relatively few users are familiar with this activity listing feature, considering its usefulness. I would have thought it would be a major positive feature of this BBS. I guess there is a need for some stickies on how to use LUF features efficiently — once the current board board problem is resolved.

Yes. This feature is super useful. There are so many things going on in different parts of the forum, and I read both English and German. Without the activity streams it would be almost impossible to keep track of everything.

And I love that I can discover and learn about new stuff in corners of the forum that I wouldn’t normally bother to navigate to.

Edited by evikne

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

For moderators, who have to keep track of the forum in general, it is a bit redundant, but useful for a quick scan of the activity, I guess :) 

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

For moderators, who have to keep track of the forum in general, it is a bit redundant, but useful for a quick scan of the activity, I guess :) 

That depends a bit on how you work. I know of at least one former moderator who would not have been able to do what he did without this instrument.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I use this function all the time, largely as I don’t read all the threads - reviewing unread content in threads I’ve posted in is one of the best features on this.  Just now, checking this option, I got a whole page of new posts in one thread.  It is unusable …

8 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

Just now, checking this option, I got a whole page of new posts in one thread.  It is unusable …

It's still not completely useless if you know of another very smart (and quite hidden) feature on this forum. If you go to Account Settings > Content View Behavior > Take me to comments I haven't read, then you will always be taken to the last comment you haven't read, no matter which post you click on.

• Thanks 3