How do you custom your M camera/lenses?

Dennis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, KFo said:

On this particular lens (1972 Summilux 35) I find that I accidentally change the aperture so I tape it in place.  I'll also tape some lenses at hyperfocal or at a particular distance occasionally.

It totally makes sense. I'm sure black tape would look better, but it serves its purpose, right?

7 hours ago, KFo said:

Another customisation that I've done is adding a step up ring to my 28 f5.6 summaron.  I did that to keep my finger out of the picture

Interesting. Cause the lens is so small and your finger is not part of the composition 🙂

This customization works for you thanks for sharing.

12 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

I typically attach a Leica 14312 strap to any M. And maybe a thumb rest. Wild and crazy customization, I know.  Otherwise, just works as is.

Jeff

haha, very crazy. But it works perfect for you. So, everyone are happy!

If there is no need for customization, why do it, right?

• Like 1

I put focusing tabs for two finger (back & forth) quick  focusing on my 35 Color Skopar...a setup similar to the diametrically opposed focusing knobs on my beloved Ricoh 500.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spydrxx said:

I put focusing tabs for two finger (back & forth) quick  focusing on my 35 Color Skopar...a setup similar to the diametrically opposed focusing knobs on my beloved Ricoh 500.

I never saw it something similar.

I really like to use focus tab (when they exist on the lens), it's almost a must in the lens purchase requirement. Two fingers tab, I guess can be a very interesting focusing method, especially for tiny lenses  

23 hours ago, pippy said:

I haven't done anything to any of my M kit since I was a student. Back then (mid-1980's) there was a very different vibe in the air here in the UK and people were more uncomfortable and suspicious about anyone snapping on the streets so I resorted to the tried'n'tested route of covering my M2 in black tape.

I left it like that for the next 20 years which might not have been so bad had I not used electricians insulating tape which left such a mess when I finally took it off...

Cue gratuitous snap from circa '86;

Philip.

EDIT : The shape of the hood (which got a LOT worse than that!) illustrates why I always use have a hood on my lenses.......:lol:.......

Looks like a nice Nikon strap ... at least I have a couple Nikon branded ones that look like this one. They are super simple but also great.

Edited by Kriehuber
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kriehuber said:

Looks like a nice Nikon strap ... at least I have a couple Nikon branded ones that look like this one. They are super simple but also great.

You win the coconut!

Very well spotted, Kriehuber. It is a standard Nikon strap from that era and I absolutely agree that they are great straps! In fact after the standard Leica 14312 offering they are, to this day, by a long way my 2nd favourite design ever. Nikon used better quality fitments for their hardware but Leica's 'detail resolutions' with the 14312 were better implemented.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 2

I haven’t personalised my lenses, but I have my cameras - M-A black paint and Monochrom silver chrome, each with ostriche print leather (the M-A black and the Monochrom brown).

I went to take a picture yesterday with my black TL2 of a group I was motorbiking with, and one said to me “You’re very brand conscious, with your Apple watch, Polo tee-shirt and Leica camera”.  I’m not quite sure what set him off, the camera or my Ducati.  It was on the tip of my tongue to ask if he wanted to see my underwear as well.  I don’t think too much about this stuff, as I buy and use what I like.

But, it got me thinking.  Perhaps I’ll put tape over the red dot on my SL & TL2 - the only cameras I have which have red dots; not because of “stealth” or fear of theft, but because I hate people looking at my camera equipment and responding to it - good or bad.  My M cameras just have an interesting, small, old-fashioned look which people generally warm to.

4 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

I haven’t personalised my lenses, but I have my cameras - M-A black paint and Monochrom silver chrome, each with ostriche print leather (the M-A black and the Monochrom brown).

I went to take a picture yesterday with my black TL2 of a group I was motorbiking with, and one said to me “You’re very brand conscious, with your Apple watch, Polo tee-shirt and Leica camera”.  I’m not quite sure what set him off, the camera or my Ducati.  It was on the tip of my tongue to ask if he wanted to see my underwear as well.  I don’t think too much about this stuff, as I buy and use what I like.

But, it got me thinking.  Perhaps I’ll put tape over the red dot on my SL & TL2 - the only cameras I have which have red dots; not because of “stealth” or fear of theft, but because I hate people looking at my camera equipment and responding to it - good or bad.  My M cameras just have an interesting, small, old-fashioned look which people generally warm to.

Feel free to share your ostriche gear 🙂

The tape on the camera brand could be for many reasons. But a friend who was taping absolutely everything to have pure black cameras, told me once "I do it, also to avoid the conversation with other fellows photographer 🤫" ... 

9 hours ago, pippy said:

In fact after the standard Leica 14312 offering they are, to this day, by a long way my 2nd favourite design ever. Nikon used better quality fitments for their hardware but Leica's 'detail resolutions' with the 14312 were better implemented.

I can only agree on that! The quality paired with its simplicity and materials makes it such a great strap!

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 12:06 AM, pippy said:

EDIT : The shape of the hood (which got a LOT worse than that!) illustrates why I always use have a hood on my lenses.......:lol:.......

I don't want to know how many lenses I would have completely destroyed if I wouldn't always use a Hood and a Filter. At one point I had to bend a Hood back because it was starting to vignette / was blocking parts of the picture 

• Like 1

i just added a soft release to my M10M :) 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Wow, super customization. Such a difference  :) 

I do use one too. Not as so essential as the thumbs up is (at least for me), but really nice to use.

I kept this habit from my film days.

1) the physical link to the camera is different, I feel I am more precise with a soft release. Actually I must admit I just prefer the feeling ;)

2) I had the feeling I could slow down with the soft release and be 1 speed slower and have a one stop gain. WIth the M10M this has (almost) no importance since you can shoot @iso 25000 without problem...

18 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

It was on the tip of my tongue to ask if he wanted to see my underwear as well.

I feel sure you could get self-adhesive Jockey labels to stick over the labels on your (clean) Calvin Klein's just in case your Duke slips over on a wet, white line, John. :D

It sounds like your friend might be the brand conscious one since he noticed. ^_^

Pete.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, didier said:

1) the physical link to the camera is different, I feel I am more precise with a soft release. Actually I must admit I just prefer the feeling ;)

I agree. The shutter feels more reactive, but it's not.

2 hours ago, didier said:

2) I had the feeling I could slow down with the soft release and be 1 speed slower and have a one stop gain.

Agree 2

When it's required to shot at lower SS, I take it off and I slightly slide the finger on the button to press it with the "DIP joint" instead. It's a kind of DIY IBIS.

I learned it here, wisdom pearl by Adan

Edited by Dennis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, farnz said:

I feel sure you could get self-adhesive Jockey labels to stick over the labels on your (clean) Calvin Klein's just in case your Duke slips over on a wet, white line, John. :D

It sounds like your friend might be the brand conscious one since he noticed. ^_^

Pete.

To be honest, I ignored him ...

• Like 1