best super wide angle for leica sl2

PDP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, AZN said:

The R10 was a collector's edition Leica R mount digital camera.  24-bit, 500 MP and had a Leitz Universal Lensmout which meant it could mount any lens from any manufacturer, past or future. 

It came in an artisinal hand-carved Black Anthracite box and also included a handy Unicorn's Horn to use as a paint-tin opener…

:)

You got the "specs" wrong:

The Leica R10

On 12/11/2021 at 8:19 PM, AZN said:

Leica Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8 V2.  The only issue I have found is that the far corner-tips are vignetted pretty strongly - easy to fix in post.  Otherwise razor sharp across the frame.

Can I ask whether or not the dedicated Leica R-L adapter was used, to enable the camera to know the exact selected lens? (The vignetting could also have been easily fixed automatically by in-camera processing had the camera known the particular lens being used, so it's a pity if Leica did not do this.)

3 hours ago, masjah said:

Can I ask whether or not the dedicated Leica R-L adapter was used, to enable the camera to know the exact selected lens? (The vignetting could also have been easily fixed automatically by in-camera processing had the camera known the particular lens being used, so it's a pity if Leica did not do this.)

Yes - my lens is the V2 ROM version and I used the Leica R→L lens mount adapter (with ROM reading pins) on the Leica SL (TYP 601).  Have also experienced the same kind of far-corner vignetting on the Sonys (A7RII, A7RIV) using the Rayqual R→FE adapter, so it's a lens-thing.  Like I said though, it's trivial to fix in post.

Maybe the Leica R→L adapter corrects things when shooting JPEG, but I always shoot RAW. Indeed have never used JPEGs from the SL 601, so have no idea what they look like 😀

Edited by AZN
  • Thanks 1

I opted for the Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8 DG DN Art Lens with L Mount.   Before the purchase I reviewed my Lightroom catalogue  and found that a significant number of my favorite images were taken with focal lengths of 14-16mm.  Most were architectural interiors, with lesser numbers of landscapes, rainbows including double rainbows.  In each case extreme wide angle gave the image its impact.   The contrast of the lens is very good.  The high resolution of the lens at all but extreme corners is also exemplary.  For architectural shots, use of the camera's level is essential to control distracting converging of straight lines.  

For the range the the Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8 DG DN covers, it is optically superior to the Leica 16-35mm SL SVE in terms of corner sharpness at wide apertures. It’s my default lens for wide-field astrophotography. However, for more day-to-day landscape photography, I use the 16-35mm SL SVE stopped down to f/5.6-f/8 for decent corner sharpness because of the more useable focal length going to 35mm. The 16-35 is also a bit more flare resistant if used without a filter but I’ve never had good experiences shooting into the sun with it while using top of the line multi-coated filters but this may be improved with the lens hood which I generally do not take with me because the lens is already on the large side for what it is and it becomes ungainly with the hood mounted while trying to hike on rough and steep trails in the mountains.

The 28 APO SL is fantastic but I would prefer a 24mm or 21mm as a landscape/documentary prime if I were to only cary a single lens with me for the day in the mountains.

Sigma 14-24:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica 16-35 SL

Leica 28 APO SL

Edited by beewee
  • Like 11