Voigtlander 50mm f/1 VM

jaeger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/22/2022 at 5:47 AM, robb said:

I also tried the Nokton wide open with some non-portraits.  Highlight bokeh seemed good - I liked the out of focus shapes on the water.  

Beachgoers at Lake Tahoe, Nevada - Leica SL2 with Voigtländer Nokton VM 50mm 1.0 Aspherical MC, iso 50, 1/6400th sec at f 1.0

Robb

What is the focus distance here (from camera to the couple)?

1 hour ago, robb said:

Distance was probably 50 feet.  This is full frame without cropping.  

Robb

50 feet seems quite far, considering how much the couple fill the frame, but it may be difficult to estimate - and since I wasn't there, impossible for me to argue with you about it in any sensible way... 😅😁

I have a number of projects to photograph in Georgia and South Carolina these next two weeks so I called up my friend Steve Hendrix to grab some lunch.  I think we have been friends about 20 years.  We always have a lot to share in talking shop.  The 50 has a great working distance across a table and it is definitely easier to line up a background in tighter confines than the longer 75mm.  And it has no real proportion exaggeration of the 35 focal length.  So I definitely enjoy the 50 in the bag.  Very nice background AND "front" bokeh can be seen here.  I like the effect.  Not sure a 50 summicron could have done this but an SL summicron would definitely had more in focus around the eyes.  This Nokton has crazy thin depth - seemed like 2 mm.... at the eyes.

Bar-B-Q Lunch in Atlanta, Georgia - Leica SL2-s with Voigtländer Nokton VM 50mm 1.0 Aspherical MC, iso 1600, 1/320th sec at f 1.0

Robb

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

15 hours ago, robb said:

I have a number of projects to photograph in Georgia and South Carolina these next two weeks so I called up my friend Steve Hendrix to grab some lunch.  I think we have been friends about 20 years.  We always have a lot to share in talking shop.  The 50 has a great working distance across a table and it is definitely easier to line up a background in tighter confines than the longer 75mm.  And it has no real proportion exaggeration of the 35 focal length.  So I definitely enjoy the 50 in the bag.  Very nice background AND "front" bokeh can be seen here.  I like the effect.  Not sure a 50 summicron could have done this but an SL summicron would definitely had more in focus around the eyes.  This Nokton has crazy thin depth - seemed like 2 mm.... at the eyes.

Bar-B-Q Lunch in Atlanta, Georgia - Leica SL2-s with Voigtländer Nokton VM 50mm 1.0 Aspherical MC, iso 1600, 1/320th sec at f 1.0

Robb

Assuming you used M camera how did you manage off centre accurate focus, EVF or Crop?

Edit, I see you used SL2-s 😅

Edited by mmradman

I’ve used tons of film and digital m bodies but since I added the SL2 and SL2-s, I’m not sure I will be using m bodies.  The SL series kind of replaces the M’s for me primarily because of the Ibis and VF with focus peaking and zooming in with the electronic VF.   Off center focus is fairly fast.

the body to me is still fairly compact and not that dissimilar to an M if you use the visoflex 

the SL just makes focusing these high speed lenses so much more usable, even though my hit rate is still about 50% because of any slight movement (breathing) and the razor thin dof.

All that being said, I do still crave a black paint m10-r.  Lol

Robb

• Like 2

These are snapshots taken with the M10 and CV 50/1.0 (Pensacola, Crawfish Festival set-up).

Edited by Raid Amin

• 2 weeks later...

Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1 Asph, M246

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The dad was pulling the daughter up and throwing her off the wall toward the beach.  The waves were crashing and then running off the concrete.  The son was snorkeling and wanted to come hang out as well... Only the family trio is in focus.  The whole rest of the photo fades out very quickly behind them.  Not sure if most would prefer the whole image to be in focus or not.   I'm torn but I think the composition at f8 would have been equally interesting.  But I only wanted to shoot the whole day wide open at f1.0. I love shooting with the SL2-s equally as much as SL2.  To me they are really the same except for the file size for most uses.  I might regret the smaller file though if printing for an exhibit.  I haven't really needed the high iso benefit of SL2-s yet but I guess it's really nice to have if you need it.  I'm not sure I will ever need it for outdoor scenes even at night unless I'm doing video as well.  It's main use to me is for indoor events and conferences.

Family on Sea Wall in Waikiki, Hawaii - Leica SL2-S with Voigtländer Nokton VM 50mm 1.0 Aspherical MC, iso 100, 1/4000th sec at f 1.0

Robb

• Like 6

Close to minimum focussing distance.  Maybe 1 meter I think.

Nephew with Pineapple Ice Cream at the Dole Plantation in Wahiawa, Hawaii - Leica SL2-S with Voigtländer Nokton VM 50mm 1.0 Aspherical MC, iso 100, 1/2000th sec at f 1.0

Robb

• Like 5

Love the lens but still a bit slow to use to nail focus exactly since you only have a mm or so at closer distances...  But I guess I'm not using the lens to break any speed records.

Wife Sitting at Waterfall in Waikiki, Hawaii - Leica SL2-S with Voigtländer Nokton VM 50mm 1.0 Aspherical MC, iso 100, 1/160th sec at f 1.0

Robb

• Like 5

A bit overcast today.  Really great look on all the Nokton images.  I will try to get a 50 1.4 SL for comparison, but the Nokton really is a great size and weight.  

Nephew at Waimea Falls in Haleiwa, Hawaii - Leica SL2-S with Voigtländer Nokton VM 50mm 1.0 Aspherical MC, iso 100, 1/1250th sec at f 1.0

Robb

• Like 8

Am 25.4.2022 um 10:52 schrieb LarsHP:

50 feet seems quite far, considering how much the couple fill the frame, but it may be difficult to estimate - and since I wasn't there, impossible for me to argue with you about it in any sensible way... 😅😁

Oh I'm sure you're quite motivated and want to calculate it, given a human head is about the width of 11 cm and the field of view is 47.8° and we received the information the image is not cropped.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Review of the 50mm Nokton f/1.0 by Federico Zaza, posted at Leica Rumors.

Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.0 Aspherical MC lens review: Lese Majesty - Leica Rumors

Original article in Italian and English, with larger images:

Voigtlander 50 f1.0 Review <br/>Recensione Voigtlander 50 f1.0 — federicozaza-- unperfect01

Edited by LarsHP
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, LarsHP said:

Review of the 50mm Nokton f/1.0 by Federico Zaza, posted at Leica Rumors.

Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.0 Aspherical MC lens review: Lese Majesty - Leica Rumors

Original article in Italian and English, with larger images:

Voigtlander 50 f1.0 Review <br/>Recensione Voigtlander 50 f1.0 — federicozaza-- unperfect01

These look insane, wow.

• Like 1