Voigtlander 50mm f/1 VM

jaeger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

More screenshots.

The two first are showing the amount of LoCA (longitudinal chromatic aberration). Again, not great, but not bad either. This is an f/1 lens, so no-one is expecting apochromatic performance...

The third shows smooth and soft bokeh quality at extra short focus distance (using VM-E Close Focus adapter) and the fourth how big the lens is on a Sony a7 series camera.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got my notice of the delay this morning. I had only put a deposit down. I suspect those who paid in full, up front, will be the first to get this lens. 

At least now I can see some reviews before fully committing. 

1 minute ago, 6bit said:

I have the 1.2 and I am going to speculate the 1.2 will be sharper at 1.4.

Thank you!

I have the 35/1.2III and I use a lot at 1.4, but never at 1.2. It's enough for me.

and the 50/1.2 I would expect a similar performance at 1.4, like the 35.

No idea about the 50/1, time will tell.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dennis said:

Thank you!

I have the 35/1.2III and I use a lot at 1.4, but never at 1.2. It's enough for me.

and the 50/1.2 I would expect a similar performance at 1.4, like the 35.

No idea about the 50/1, time will tell.

I had the Nokton 35mm f/1.2 v2 and own the 50mm f/1.2. The latter just hammers the second gen 35mm wide open regarding sharpness. I don't hesitate using it wide open at medium focus distances, but usually stop down to f/1.4 at long distances, since there isn't much exposure difference to gain.

1 hour ago, LarsHP said:

I had the Nokton 35mm f/1.2 v2 and own the 50mm f/1.2. The latter just hammers the second gen 35mm wide open regarding sharpness. I don't hesitate using it wide open at medium focus distances, but usually stop down to f/1.4 at long distances, since there isn't much exposure difference to gain.

Correct. Not big difference in DoF but much better sharpening. Enough to win.

1 hour ago, Dennis said:

Correct. Not big difference in DoF but much better sharpening. Enough to win.

Actually, it's mostly because the difference between f/1.2 and f/1.4 only affects a "hot spot" in the center of the image at long distances. In others words, stopping down to f/1.4 yields the same overall exposure as f/1.2 (except in the forementioned spot in the very center, which typically would need some kind of post-processing that f/1.4 doesn't call for).

• Like 2

I foresee getting the VM 50mm f/1.0....I want to turn my M10M into a low light monster, more than it is right now even.

But I've got so many other things going on, and paying for Xmas gifts, etc...I'm likely going to let others get it in their hands first and watch reviews.

Given how good Voigtlander has been last few lens releases, I fully expect them to hit this one out of the ballpark too, but, I'm not in a hurry and looking forward to reviews and seeing what this thing can actually do.

Besides, sometimes anticipation is half the fun.

;)

cayenne

Edited by Cayenne
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Just received my copy of the Voigtlander 50mm F1 today.

Early impressions…favorably impressed with the build quality, overall feel and handling of the lens.

It’s clearly heavier than the average M lens but still quite manageable for such a fast lens at 480g. Also for comparison its 30% lighter than Leica’s Noctilux at 700g and considerably shorter ( 55mm versus 76mm )

I find it balances very nicely on my newly acquired M11 ( its not front heavy) and even better on an SL2. I’d go so far as to say that the size and handling on SL2 is the best of any lens I own for that camera, including SL primes.

I haven’t had an opportunity to take it out for city/street or landscape shooting, however based on test shots taken throughout the day, it more than likely will live up to the anticipation and high expectations. It delivers a very pleasing out of focus character / bokeh with well above average sharpness wide open. Need to test it further but early indications would suggest that sharpness & micro contrast corner to corner stopped down appear to be excellent.

I purchased this lens with the clear expectation that it check multiple usage boxes.i.e. a lens that can serve as a single all purpose 50mm for portraits, low light / nighttime and landscape/cityscapes.

Time permitting I will post some images once I’ve had a chance to put it through its paces.

Edited by NicholasT
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Trial shots of Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f1 Asph lens with M10

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The first testing imaging of Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f1 Asph lens with M10

The image of roaring tiger seems to be pop out @ f1

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f1 Asph with M246

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Empty in the shopping mall during pandemic

Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f1 Asph @ f/1 with M246

• Like 2

The sun is shining on....

Voigtlander Nokton f1 Asph VM @ f/1 with M10

• Like 3