Voigtlander 50mm f/1 VM

jaeger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, jaeger said:

I thought it was around 1k USD, at 1.8K I will consider nikon 50mm 1.2s for my Z7 instead.  Or maybe the 85mm 1.2s that is coming soon. 

Thanks.  I have a Z6 to house non M vintage/ legacy lenses but now can't stop thinking about those F1.2 Nikkors now that you've planted the seed in my head.  Might have to push this Voigt to one side.....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

If Cosina have a 28mm or 24mm f1.4 in the pipeline, either one would make a nice low light/shallow dof duo with the new 50mm f1.

A 24/1.4 (1.2?!?) would be nice. It's a rather neglected focal length in Leica-Land. 

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

21 hours ago, a5m said:

Some sample images finally posted here. Don't see anything special to be honest, but those aren't the best shots to showcase a lens like this...

These are typical “product” images, however they do exhibit one characteristic I dislike; background specular highlights that get cut off (from the barrel I presume). All the bokeh balls show this on the outer edge. Hopefully it’s just these few images, hard to tell for sure. Is it a dealbreaker? No, but looking forward to some reviews. Otherwise looks to be very sharp if they were shot wide open. 

The Canon f1.0 was notorious for this. 

2 hours ago, cpclee said:

Looks to me a more competent lens than vintage Noctiluxes that people pay tens of thousands of dollars for.  

It would not be surprising if this lens would rival the 0.95 Noctilux. Its nearly 14 years old by now and the 0.95 isn't even close to sharp wide open when compared to other lenses. Its a amazing lens and in a vacuum, probably nobody would really notice it but in comparison you see its 10+ years old. You don't even need to look at Leicas own Lenses ..

Edited by Kriehuber
  • Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 7:09 PM, Ray Vonn said:

Thanks.  I have a Z6 to house non M vintage/ legacy lenses but now can't stop thinking about those F1.2 Nikkors now that you've planted the seed in my head.  Might have to push this Voigt to one side.....

Even f1.8 Z Nikkors are fantastic, plus IBIS with Z5/Z6/Z7/Z9 makes need for faster lens artistic choice. 

Optically on native camera I think Nikkor Z 50mm f1.8 is as good as APO Summicron M 50mm  - I have both. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

The obvious comparison for the new f1 Nokton is with the f0.95 and f1 Noctiluxes and from what we know of it, it's highly likely to rival both and probably exceed the f1 Noctilux at full aperture in resolution and contrast. 

Once you get to f1 difference to f0.95 is more of a bragging rights.  I would be curious to see how new Nokton f1 compares to latest Noctilux f0.95 ASPH, the earlier f1 is spherical design.

Screenshot from the video by the German distributor showing vignetting on the Fuji GFX sensor (33x44mm).

I have added a red line showing approximate how the 24x36mm frame looks.

Seems reasonable for an f/1.0 lens.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, LarsHP said:

Exactly. The difference in MFD - 90cm versus 100cm - will be of more importance.

Indeed, however V Nokton is in the same ball park with Noctluxes when it comes to MFD.

Bear in mind that original M3 had minimum focus distance of 1m, plus all Noctilux versions have also minimum focus distance of 1meter, also may other earlier M wide and normal FL lenses.  It is later M2 which introduced 0.7m MFD standard.

If Minimum focus distance [MFD] of less than 1 meter is your primary consideration than RF system is not right choice for you.  If I wanted to consider closer focusing than 0.9m with new Nokton i would consider Nikon Z or Sony E with Voigtlander M-Z or M-E close focus adapter.   

Excluding few exotics like Macro Elmar 90mm with Optical Macro Adapter or Dual Range Summicron 50mm to focus closer than 0.7m we would have to use either EVF or LiveView with M240/246, M10, M11 type camera and any adapted lens capable focusing closer than 0.7 meters.  To do that  I may as well use cheap SLR lens and have some fun in the process.  I recently resurrected my first set of SMC Pentax-M lenses which I acquired some 40 years ago, these are no bigger than Leica M lenses when fitted with K-M adapter.  For instance 50mm f1.4 have MFD of 0.45m 🙂 or 24mm f2.8 MFD of 0.25m 🙂🙂.

• Like 3

On 12/11/2021 at 7:02 AM, Simone_DF said:

For sure, but don't forget that many brands, including Voigtlander, release lenses in M mount to be used with other cameras too (Sony, Nikon etc), where focusing with an EFV makes focusing at f/1 and closer than 1m easy 

Well, adapters for those often exist with a built in helicoid for getting closer focus in....?

6 hours ago, mmradman said:

Indeed, however V Nokton is in the same ball park with Noctluxes when it comes to MFD.

Bear in mind that original M3 had minimum focus distance of 1m, plus all Noctilux versions have also minimum focus distance of 1meter, also may other earlier M wide and normal FL lenses.  It is later M2 which introduced 0.7m MFD standard.

If Minimum focus distance [MFD] of less than 1 meter is your primary consideration than RF system is not right choice for you.  If I wanted to consider closer focusing than 0.9m with new Nokton i would consider Nikon Z or Sony E with Voigtlander M-Z or M-E close focus adapter.   

Excluding few exotics like Macro Elmar 90mm with Optical Macro Adapter or Dual Range Summicron 50mm to focus closer than 0.7m we would have to use either EVF or LiveView with M240/246, M10, M11 type camera and any adapted lens capable focusing closer than 0.7 meters.  To do that  I may as well use cheap SLR lens and have some fun in the process.  I recently resurrected my first set of SMC Pentax-M lenses which I acquired some 40 years ago, these are no bigger than Leica M lenses when fitted with K-M adapter.  For instance 50mm f1.4 have MFD of 0.45m 🙂 or 24mm f2.8 MFD of 0.25m 🙂🙂.

That’s the thing, whilst the Voigt gets my attention like most people here, if it is simply the bokeh you want, you will arguably always be able to get the same or maybe even better results with an old much closer focusing adapted SLR lens be it with an OVF RF or any digital body and as you say, there is definitely fun to be had in that process.

• Like 2

On 12/22/2021 at 10:59 AM, a.noctilux said:

With the small size of those pictures, I don't see "onion rings".

Good news for me as so many asph. lenses show this anti-esthetic rings in tough lighting or contre-jour situations.

+1

If new lens can avoid "onion rings" in provoking circumstances it should be excellent by at least bokeh metrics.  Many Leica M ASPH lenses are onion ring champions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bokeh balls: center, mid-frame, sides and corners.

Looks decent, but not impressive.

Screenshots from the video previously linked from voigtlaender.de with added approximate 24x36mm frame (since the lens is mounted on a Fuji GFX series camera here).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1