Voigtlander 50mm f/1 VM

jaeger

On 12/14/2021 at 1:35 PM, LarsHP said:

I have three. Two smart adapters with AF (Techart and Megadap) and one dumb with close focus helicoid (Gabale).

The reason why I am "whining" about the minimum focus distance is that (I expect) it tells us that at shorter distances, the performance will drop below a threshold that the engineers think is acceptable. To me, it is disappointing considering the floating lens element design.

Yes, it sure will, if they did not opt for compensating measures - but closing the aperture by a stop or two should take care of that. Today with all the YT experts breathing down the necks of the idiot product designers, companies are careful what to release. Especially at a price point like that. I use the close focus adapter from Voigtländer with the old 1.1/50 Nokton with the Z7 sometimes, just to get this little bit closer. Honestly, in my aging eyes, the quality does not drop so much. That lens got for too much flak, btw.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Photon42 said:

Yes, it sure will, if they did not opt for compensating measures - but closing the aperture by a stop or two should take care of that. Today with all the YT experts breathing down the necks of the idiot product designers, companies are careful what to release. Especially at a price point like that. I use the close focus adapter from Voigtländer with the old 1.1/50 Nokton with the Z7 sometimes, just to get this little bit closer. Honestly, in my aging eyes, the quality does not drop so much. That lens got for too much flak, btw.

Stopping down isn't an option to me. This chubby lens needs to be shot wide open. Otherwise, I could just keep my Nokton f/1.2 (which I really love, so I might actually do that anyway).

However, I have a (not so secret) spice, I can add to the sauce: my Tokina AT-X +0.4 achromatic diopter (a "close-up filter" consisting of two lens elements). It has 72mm thread, which means it may work well even wide open with the f/1 Nokton (which has a 62mm thread).

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 11:00 PM, -ph- said:

There is a short video about this lens, they show it on the M, though unfortunately not very close up:

That video reminds me of Fanny Cradock's cookery programme in the 1950's & 60's.  Must have been the same scriptwriter.

Anyhow, I can make room for this new Nokton 50mm f1.  The CV train is a runaway!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 hours ago, LarsHP said:

Stopping down isn't an option to me. This chubby lens needs to be shot wide open. Otherwise, I could just keep my Nokton f/1.2 (which I really love, so I might actually do that anyway).

However, I have a (not so secret) spice, I can add to the sauce: my Tokina AT-X +0.4 achromatic diopter (a "close-up filter" consisting of two lens elements). It has 72mm thread, which means it may work well even wide open with the f/1 Nokton (which has a 62mm thread).

An high quality apochromatic diopter is in my eyes the better option, optically. It keeps the lens within its specs.

On 12/17/2021 at 8:47 AM, Photon42 said:

An high quality apochromatic diopter is in my eyes the better option, optically. It keeps the lens within its specs.

As far as I know, there is only one made - which was sold together with the 100mm Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R.

I just discovered that the NiSi Close-Up lens is labeled as apochromatic even though it only uses two lens elements. As far as I know, an apochromatic lens design needs at least three lens elements to accomplish it (but I may be wrong). Another issue is the diopter strength. It appears to be +5, which may be fine for macro or semi-macro use, but for the intended use (focusing a bit closer than 90cm) it is way too strong. If it was an +1 diopter, it would have been about perfect.

The Tokina AT-X MC +0.4 diopter 72mm close-up lens is one of the best on the market. Things that are in focus shows no chromatic aberrations. To make my point, this diopter clearly improves the performance of my 90mm Apo-Summicron-M even at about 2 meter distance. However, the out of focus areas does show color fringing (but so does the 90 Apo).

9 minutes ago, Photon42 said:

Canon used to produce the 250D and 500D. And Leica sells one for M-Lenses. And there are more, as you discovered.

I bookmarked a quite complete listing, here (ki.tng.de)

a rich chart, if we want to search for one or more.

I use for years Nikon 3T (52mm) and 6T(62mm)on Leica lenses with adapters to bring 52/62 to Leica diameters.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Photon42 said:

Canon used to produce the 250D and 500D. And Leica sells one for M-Lenses. And there are more, as you discovered.

Yes. I have Leitz Elpro 1, 2, 3 and 4 (from the film era), and a Canon 250D too (in 52mm). However, those are all achromatic diopters, not apochromatic, and they are all too small. I am considering buying a Canon 500D in 77mm size since I saw one used locally, and it will pair well with another lens I already own, and it might work with the Nokton f/1.0 too.

Otherwise, I have been checking out this site:

http://fuzzcraft.com/achromats.html

Edited by LarsHP

18 hours ago, Al Brown said:

It is not officially priced yet (on B&H) but the price seems to be 1799$, so it beats the current champ Voigtlander Super Nokton 29mm f/0.8 Aspherical Lens for Micro Four Thirds priced at 1749$.

I thought it was around 1k USD, at 1.8K I will consider nikon 50mm 1.2s for my Z7 instead.  Or maybe the 85mm 1.2s that is coming soon. 

• Like 2