Voigtlander 50mm f/1 VM

jaeger

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Things just got more interesting...

Edited by cboy
  • Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

34 minutes ago, cboy said:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Things just got more interesting...

Yes. The question is if this is right or wrong, given that neither the English, nor the Japanese site says anything about floating elements. I find this odd. Usually, if some feature isn't mentioned, you can be sure it isn't there. So why isn't it mentioned on Cosina's own sites? 

The drawing doesn't show floating lens elements, either. I am guessing the German info is wrong, but hoping it's correct.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, steve 1959 said:

I was responding to critical comment about the upcoming voigtlander lens only focusing to 0.9m that was all.

Not sure what you mean by "as it should" though?

Leica M was designed to have a close focus with their lenses of about 1 meter. The newer lenses focusing closer with live view and an add on evf are a bonus if that’s what you want. I am used to the  one meter distance having used them for so long.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

Leica M was designed to have a close focus with their lenses of about 1 meter. The newer lenses focusing closer with live view and an add on evf are a bonus if that’s what you want. I am used to the  one meter distance having used them for so long.

But the 50mm f0.95 was designed in 2008 by peter karbe [ i believe] when many lenses were already able to focus at 0.7m .

The 50mm summicrom version 5 for example is a 1979 lens much older than the current noctilux but able to focus from 0.7m.

Edited by steve 1959

1 hour ago, steve 1959 said:

But the 50mm f0.95 was designed in 2008 by peter karbe [ i believe] when many lenses were already able to focus at 0.7m .

The 50mm summicrom version 5 for example is a 1979 lens much older than the current noctilux but able to focus from 0.7m.

Yet here we are at one meter. 

4 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

Yet here we are at one meter. 

I was defending the voigtlander close focus of 0.9 by pointing out that the modern karbe noctilux only gets as close as 1m that was all.

I guess there are technical reasons why modern super fast lenses have mediocre close focus although the TT artisans copy of the noctilux does actually get as close as 0.7m.

Anyway the new upcoming voigtlander is an interesting lens,especially as it has a very compact design.

45 minutes ago, cboy said:

Released Jan2022...Should we postpone Christmas presents on ourselves haha....I should of been Buddhist lol

Trouble is voigtlander seem to bring out an m mount lens of great interest every other week!! 

But father christmas can only be bothered to turn up once a year!

vor 11 Stunden schrieb LarsHP:

Yes. The question is if this is right or wrong, given that neither the English, nor the Japanese site says anything about floating elements. I find this odd. Usually, if some feature isn't mentioned, you can be sure it isn't there. So why isn't it mentioned on Cosina's own sites? 

The drawing doesn't show floating lens elements, either. I am guessing the German info is wrong, but hoping it's correct.

Good news - the floating elements design has been confirmed through CameraQuest / Fred Miranda. 👍

• Like 6

Somehow I know I want one, even though the minimal focus distance seems 90cm only and the thing seems large. That is maybe the most expensive Voigtländer to date, so given the recent lens development from that company, I am expecting a more modern and very solid performance. I doubt it will draw like the 50/1.2. They have something similar (+-) to the 50/1.2 with their Heliar.

Edited by Photon42
  • Like 1

As long time 50 Noctilux 1.0 user, I can confirm that using F/1 closer than 1.5m is working to have trouble.

Only new users would use this F/1 setting (under 1.5m wide open) then complain that the expensive Leica lens is not up to their expectations.

So having the F1 for RF M lens under 1m focus is bonus of course, but only marketing for me ( I can do what Leica can not ).

0.9m is fine and reasonable from Voigtlander, if using closer than that Liveview is a must, in this case Elpro or M ring ( as limited OUFRO ) can be used closed down !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alexander-HH said:

Good news - the floating elements design has been confirmed through CameraQuest / Fred Miranda. 👍

Yes. I just saw it in that thread this morning. So why on earth didn't Cosina write it in the Japanese and English description? This is really odd. To be honest, I am a bit hesitant regarding a final conclusion whether it actually has floating lens element design, as long as Cosina doesn't say it themselves. The German description at https://www.voigtlaender.de/objektive/vm/50-mm-11-nokton/ is the only official page that claims it so far, but even the video on that very page doesn't mention FLE.

Edited by LarsHP
  • Like 1