Voigtlander 50mm f/1 VM

jaeger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Tête-à-tête

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

M10 + Voigtländer Nokton 50mm 1:1.0 VM

• Like 3

Draught beer, drought

Edited by 01maciel
  • Like 6

• Like 5

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/8/2022 at 3:03 AM, robb said:

Great lens.  :)

Project manager in Jersey City, New Jersey - Leica SL2 with Voigtländer Nokton VM 50mm 1.0 Aspherical MC, iso 200, 1/60th sec at f 1.0

Robb

Nice shot! Can you take a picture showing the finder blockage, please? I am thinking about a nice rendering 50mm for portraits and it's a tough decision... (would be a good combination of fast aperture and character so taking into account f1.5-0.95 lenses with reasonable budget where this Voigtlander will be rather from higher price end)

2 hours ago, wojtek_87 said:

Nice shot! Can you take a picture showing the finder blockage, please? I am thinking about a nice rendering 50mm for portraits and it's a tough decision... (would be a good combination of fast aperture and character so taking into account f1.5-0.95 lenses with reasonable budget where this Voigtlander will be rather from higher price end)

I would but I only use this lens on SL2 and SL2-s bodies.

I’m waiting on adding another M once it also has ibis…

I’d highly recommend an SL2 or SL2-s

not much bigger than an M.  Easy to nail focus on static subjects with fast wide open apertures.  
Robb

• Like 1

23 hours ago, robb said:

I would but I only use this lens on SL2 and SL2-s bodies.

I’m waiting on adding another M once it also has ibis…

I’d highly recommend an SL2 or SL2-s

not much bigger than an M.  Easy to nail focus on static subjects with fast wide open apertures.  
Robb

It's good that the SL2-S works for you, but let's be real about the size differences. The SL2-S is 60% heavier than the M11 (850g vs 530g), 30% taller (107mm vs 80.3mm), and 215% deeper (83mm vs 38.8mm). Those are significant differences. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, eyeheartny said:

not much bigger than an M

🤣

PS: just like the previous owner of my SL, I sold it because it just doesn’t handle, compared to M, that is.

PS2: very nice lenses these Voigtländers, but there are two serious obstacles every time I think about it:

- the separate hoods, which make the lenses even bigger than they already are compared to Leica. It’s a pain in the ass that you have to pay so much more for a compact Leica lens, given the fact that the IQ is practically the same nowadays, but it is just that devilish detail. On an SLx that won’t be noticed…
- the not seldom weird filter sizes, except for the Ultrons ii 28 and 35.

Edited by otto.f

• 2 months later...

Please forgive me if this is already answered, I did try to search the thread for “code”

But are people using Ms home coding the CV 50/1 (or selecting something from the lens menu)?

and if so, would one code/select the Noctilux F0.95, the F1 or F1.2 or something different?

Many thanks in advance 

vor einer Stunde schrieb Adam Bonn:

.., would one code/select the Noctilux F0.95, the F1 or F1.2 or something different?

Many thanks in advance 

I use the Visoflex when I photograph max open because the DOF is too narrow. Mine is not encoded 6 bit. That could change, as I will soon be testing the Finder Magnifier 1.4.
Otherwise I select 50 1.0 in the camera.
Of course, a 1.0 is slightly larger, also with the corresponding filter diameter. On the other hand, if you look at other 50s 1.0 / 0.95 from third-party manufacturers, it's not too big on an M.
The sun visor (included) is not very deep. I don't have a problem with the VC 50 1.0 on the M, nor with the handling. I rather find the overall weight to be comfortable in my hands.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, M Street Photographer said:

I use the Visoflex when I photograph max open because the DOF is too narrow. Mine is not encoded 6 bit. That could change, as I will soon be testing the Finder Magnifier 1.4.
Otherwise I select 50 1.0 in the camera.
Of course, a 1.0 is slightly larger, also with the corresponding filter diameter. On the other hand, if you look at other 50s 1.0 / 0.95 from third-party manufacturers, it's not too big on an M.
The sun visor (included) is not very deep. I don't have a problem with the VC 50 1.0 on the M, nor with the handling. I rather find the overall weight to be comfortable in my hands.

I'm quite taken with the idea of getting the CV 50/1, I'm just a bit worried I won't use it that much, as I already have a 50 lux asph (which IMHO is about right for a balance of IQ/size/speed) and also a 50 cron v5

There's something magical about a well executed F1 shot though...

I just asked about the coding as I'm a bit of a sucker for having something exif related about the lens to search on in LR.

My hunch would be that the F0.95 n'lux is probably the option that the CV would respond best to, as possibly the F1 option would try and correct corner issues that the CV doesn't have...

....easy enough to try some different codes with a pemy pen (I believe 'sharpie' in US parlance) and figure out the best one, (my ZM21/2.8 is sensitive to which elmarit 21 I code it as)

Very interested in your thoughts on this lens because unless I'm mistaken (quite possibly) you also have an M10R, and I'm a little curious about the high vignette lens on the high vignette camera!! (win some/lose some I would imagine)

The M10R samples from the FredMiranda review look nice enough, strong colours 'pop' etc - quite reminiscent to the 50 lux to my eye (no offence intended to anyone.... but I'm not getting bogged down in FC testing and OOF comparisons, of course they're important but I suspect -for me at least- missing focus will ruin more of my potential 50/1 images than ugly bokeh!)

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Adam Bonn:

I'm quite taken with the idea of getting the CV 50/1, I'm just a bit worried I won't use it that much, as I already have a 50 lux asph (which IMHO is about right for a balance of IQ/size/speed) and also a 50 cron v5

I understand your thoughts well. I too had similar. As a Canon 50 0.95 TV lover, I also wondered if I would use the VC 1.0 enough. But since I know both of them very well, each has its area of application and fulfills one or the other of my ideas.

I just asked about the coding as I'm a bit of a sucker for having something exif related about the lens to search on in LR.

Ich habe in der Kamera ein Profil angelegt und abgespeichert mit dem Namen 50 1.0. Da ich kein 2. 1.0 habe, ist es leicht zu finden. Bei meinen beiden 50 2.0 habe ich unterschiedliche Namen vergeben: Nikkor 50 .20 und Robert Frank 50 2.0. Sollten die Speicherplätze nicht ausreichen, nehmen Sie eine 2. kleine 1 GB / 500 K Speicherkarte und legen dort weitere Profile an. Je nach dem welche Sie brauchen, lesen die Profile der einen oder anderen Karte ein. Sicherlich dauert es ein wenig bis Sie die "richtige" Ordnung gefunden haben.

...My hunch would be that the F0.95 n'lux is probably the option that the CV would respond best to, as possibly the F1 option would try and correct corner issues that the CV doesn't have...

I hadn't thought of this until now. Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it with 0.95, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2

...easy enough to try some different codes with a pemy pen (I believe 'sharpie' in US parlance) and figure out the best one, (my ZM21/2.8 is sensitive to which elmarit 21 I code it as)

I haven't coded myself yet, so maybe I'll try it with a gifted friend on an unimportant lens.

Very interested in your thoughts on this lens because unless I'm mistaken (quite possibly) you also have an M10R, and I'm a little curious about the high vignette lens on the high vignette camera!! (win some/lose some I would imagine)

The M10R samples from the FredMiranda review look nice enough, strong colours 'pop' etc - quite reminiscent to the 50 lux to my eye (no offence intended to anyone.... but I'm not getting bogged down in FC testing and OOF comparisons, of course they're important but I suspect -for me at least- missing focus will ruin more of my potential 50/1 images than ugly bokeh!)

Yes that's right, I have an M10R. Miranda probably had a pre-series model at the time of testing, so his results might not be entirely accurate.
At the moment I have very little time for testing, but I will do it intensively soon. I can't see some of his problems. Mine appears to be well adjusted and is a later model than his.
And yes, in the beginning, a misfocus is likely to cause some photos to fail. But, as I said, for close-up portraits I use the Visoflex, which minimizes waste. At the end of the week I'll get the 1.4 viewfinder magnifier and I'm curious if I can then focus more securely via the rangefinder.
The coloring reminds me a bit of the VC APO Lanthar series, which I really liked (on a Sony 7 C with very nice color rendering).
Please have courage for the VC 50 1.0, I don't think you will be disappointed. And even if you do, sell it a little cheaper later and book the small financial loss as learning / rental costs.

43 minutes ago, M Street Photographer said:

I understand your thoughts well. I too had similar. As a Canon 50 0.95 TV lover, I also wondered if I would use the VC 1.0 enough. But since I know both of them very well, each has its area of application and fulfills one or the other of my ideas.

All good points, sometimes it's good to have too many lenses (!!) I find they fall in and out of favour and it's good to mix it up a bit

44 minutes ago, M Street Photographer said:

Ich habe in der Kamera ein Profil angelegt und abgespeichert mit dem Namen 50 1.0. Da ich kein 2. 1.0 habe, ist es leicht zu finden. Bei meinen beiden 50 2.0 habe ich unterschiedliche Namen vergeben: Nikkor 50 .20 und Robert Frank 50 2.0. Sollten die Speicherplätze nicht ausreichen, nehmen Sie eine 2. kleine 1 GB / 500 K Speicherkarte und legen dort weitere Profile an. Je nach dem welche Sie brauchen, lesen die Profile der einen oder anderen Karte ein. Sicherlich dauert es ein wenig bis Sie die "richtige" Ordnung gefunden haben.

I think (.....) doesn't the M10x have a thing where if you set a lens from the menu then use a coded lens, the coded lens overrides it, then next time you put a non-coded lens on it reverts to whatever's selected in the menu? I might be imagining that...

46 minutes ago, M Street Photographer said:

I hadn't thought of this until now. Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it with 0.95, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2

Just a hunch... I mean the F0.95 is an ASPH lens with FLE and so is the CV 50/1.... I might be adding two and two and getting five here... 

48 minutes ago, M Street Photographer said:

Yes that's right, I have an M10R. Miranda probably had a pre-series model at the time of testing, so his results might not be entirely accurate.
At the moment I have very little time for testing, but I will do it intensively soon. I can't see some of his problems. Mine appears to be well adjusted and is a later model than his.

I like his (and others) thorough testing and it's important stuff, but IMHO most lens have pluses and minuses... I had a 7Artisans lens for a while and some of the pictures came out ok but what about the crazy bokeh? oh easy I mainly used it on the beach with nothing much behind the subject... AFAIK most modern ASPH well corrected lenses have FC and elliptical bokeh balls, it's a trade off for the positive points of having modern ASPH well corrected lenses. 

'We' pick lenses we like that work for the things we like to shoot..

54 minutes ago, M Street Photographer said:

And yes, in the beginning, a misfocus is likely to cause some photos to fail. But, as I said, for close-up portraits I use the Visoflex, which minimizes waste. At the end of the week I'll get the 1.4 viewfinder magnifier and I'm curious if I can then focus more securely via the rangefinder.

That's the rangefinder charm I think, so many little variables can spoil the focus... and as you say there's tools for minimising the error when it's critical (or other lenses that are more F8 and be there for that type of thing)

56 minutes ago, M Street Photographer said:

The coloring reminds me a bit of the VC APO Lanthar series

That's encouraging, not owned one but seen plenty of pictures

57 minutes ago, M Street Photographer said:

sell it a little cheaper later and book the small financial loss as learning / rental costs.

Every time I sell gear for a 'small financial loss' it's like a party as usually it seems to be a big loss  😅 (probably because I tend to keep lenses and sell digital bodies)

58 minutes ago, M Street Photographer said:

Please have courage for the VC 50 1.0, I don't think you will be disappointed

I just ordered and paid for it, if the winds of the courier service blow kindly... it should be delivered on Friday to the address I'll be at on Saturday afternoon

Thanks very much for your replies, I was about there with the decision but you offered some clarity

oh and FWIW

1 hour ago, M Street Photographer said:

I haven't coded myself yet, so maybe I'll try it with a gifted friend on an unimportant lens.

I keep meaning to download a template or something... but I do this, you probably know this, but in case it helps anyone

Place some masking tape next to the lens code sensor by the lens mount (on the leatherette side), then draw 6 lines where the sensor reads

Mount the lens and put some tape around the barrel, then extend the first set of lines onto the tape that's on the lens

Take the lens off the camera and the tape shows you where the sensor sees the code.

I use a black permanent marker and mark only the black parts needed (it doesn't need the white) in the little groove that CV (and Zeiss) helpfully provide

That's probably explained poorly. Sorry.

It is correct, if you use a coded lens, it will be recognized, then if you use one of the profiles, it will automatically switch to it.

One issue with Miranda was the field curvature at the center. Others and I do not have this effect or it is not visible. It was the pre-production model. Later people hardly or not at all showed this problem with him.

Sometimes when I sell something my heart bleeds too. You can't keep everything. It's getting too much. I had 8 ! 50 mm and no longer knew the disadvantages of some. Now I've reduced a lot, only "favorites" remain and I know them like the back of my hand. I will no longer sell anything unless I have to give up photography for health reasons. Now that I have successfully sold my Sony equipment, I am free. No native lenses, no artificially bred cameras whose performance I don't need. My concept is clear and simple:

M10 R, RX1 RII, Ricoh GR III - done.

For the M I now have everything I wish for, the last one will reach me on Thursday / Friday: VC Ultron 21 1.8 ASPH. I still have to get to know some lenses better, a nice task for the coming spring.
Congratulations on the decision to order the VC 50 1.0, it will be exciting and a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to your insights and photos.

As I said, I will try the coding with a friend, thanks for your instructive information.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, M Street Photographer said:

...One issue with Miranda was the field curvature at the center. Others and I do not have this effect or it is not visible. It was the pre-production model. Later people hardly or not at all showed this problem with him...

If I recall correctly, the field curvature was an issue at the edges of the frame coming into sharper focus and losing the bokeh effect. But it was also determined via his testing that the performance was still better than the Noct f/1 (and 0.95 judging from images available here and elsewhere online).

I used the Noct f/1 lens profile with mine, and it seemed to work well.

• Thanks 2

Thank you for the examples and reviews in these posts. I was considering this lens to replace a Noctilux f/1.0 and Summilux pre-asph. There's no issues with those lenses, just looking for a new toy/a change of pace. I think I would miss the vignetting and curve in the bokeh of the old Noctilux - it is imperfect in a beautiful way. It is so different, that if I had this lens, I would have to keep the other ones. Voigtalnder came out with some other fast 50mm lenses about the same time... I wonder how they look.

2 hours ago, Dan Bachmann said:

Thank you for the examples and reviews in these posts. I was considering this lens to replace a Noctilux f/1.0 and Summilux pre-asph. There's no issues with those lenses, just looking for a new toy/a change of pace. I think I would miss the vignetting and curve in the bokeh of the old Noctilux - it is imperfect in a beautiful way. It is so different, that if I had this lens, I would have to keep the other ones. Voigtalnder came out with some other fast 50mm lenses about the same time... I wonder how they look.

The CV 50 f/1 also has swirl, if that's what you mean by "curve in the bokeh" – perhaps not as much, but it's there – need a busy background for it to show up. Vignetting can always be enhanced in post, but it can't be removed non-destructively if you don't want it.

Where it really differs is at f/1, the CV is very, very sharp at the point of focus, and overall there is something more modern about the rendering. The best way I can put it is the CV at f/1 and close distance has a somber tone that I don't see in shots from the Noct f/1.

Here are a few samples with the CV 50 f/1 that show some bokeh swirl:

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Dan Bachmann said:

As a personal opinion the Nocti f1 is a quite special lens in terms of rendering with a unique character compared to modern lenses. You probably already know that, so just to say that it might become more and more difficult to find f1 Nocti's in good shape (and reasonable prices) as time goes, while you could always buy a VM Nokton f1 (which is a kind of improved Noctilux .95 in terms of sharpness). To make sure you do not regret your move later!   

• Like 1