Voigtlander 50mm f/1 VM

jaeger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f1 @ f/1 with M10 (image cropped)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Daniel kk
image cropped
  • Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Just received mine today and took a few quick test shots, all at f/1.

These forum previews always look soft – click to scroll though sharper versions:

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RexGig0 said:

hdmesa, our momentarily-weak internet service will not load your higher-definition images, but I must say that even the “soft” versions, on this web page, are quite amazing work.

Thank you for the kind comment. Probably didn't help your downloading that I posted one of them twice 🥴

• Like 1

at f/1

• Like 11

• 1 month later...

Still quite happy with this lens - the usual trouble of needing a ND filter in bright light aside.  The Leica M11 lets you go electronic but unless things are static, no go. Both shot Leica M11 Voightlander Nokton 50/1, wide open. I borrowed a Noctilux to compare it with, the Leica 75/1,25.  Not in the same class of rendering, but the Noctilux is so heavy that I'm not sure I'd take it with me everywhere. Am aware the subject in the first one is soft, was just getting set up and up they popped, but I still like the image.

Edited by stout_trapdoor9
Grammar
  • Like 10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have it and i am happy at my M10 R

• Like 2

I have it and i am happy at my M10 R

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Lantern Show in the traditional Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival

Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f1 Asph with M10

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

I used mine today with the subjects being cows at a watering tank. Oh boy, do you need to be accurate in your focusing! At normal size they all look sharp and in focus. Even when I used an electronic viewfinder and focus peaking told me the eye was in focus, it wasnt sharp. When you get the cow's eye in focus, it is sharply in focus and when you miss you can clearly see it at 100%. I need to practice and practice some more. 

@Sandokan,Yes, unfortunately the curse of narrow dof. Open at 1.0 I can't focus reliably without the Visoflex. And if it's also an M10 R or M11, you can clearly see the misfocus on the monitor. The focus peaking is too imprecise for me.
But sometimes there are also micro shakes, you have to look closely.

Edited by M Street Photographer
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, eyeheartny said:

So it’s only a major problem when you’re pixel peeping? Is that what you’re actually saying? 

As much for me to see what they look like on the forum. All at f2

First three are where I missed focus on the eye (but in the whole image it looks OK), but in the second set of 3 you can see the lashes. 

In the EVF, the peaking told me all were focused on the eye. I will try other techniques  -maybe bracketing is an alternative. 

• Like 1

As I have already noted, the peaking is too imprecise for me, especially in the close-up range. Even at f 2 it doesn't always seem to fit.
Could it be that there is a focus shift?
Voigtländer doesn't tend to do that normally, mine is fine too.
Focus shift was discussed in detail in another thread (not by Voigtländer). There the effect occurred when focusing from a close previous distance. If you always focus from the infinity position of the lens towards the close-up range, there was no focus shift.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, M Street Photographer said:

As I have already noted, the peaking is too imprecise for me, especially in the close-up range. Even at f 2 it doesn't always seem to fit.
Could it be that there is a focus shift?
Voigtländer doesn't tend to do that normally, mine is fine too.
Focus shift was discussed in detail in another thread (not by Voigtländer). There the effect occurred when focusing from a close previous distance. If you always focus from the infinity position of the lens towards the close-up range, there was no focus shift.

I have tested with camera on a tripod and focusing with EVF and optical RF ... I did not see any focus shift, but I think I can only tell by pixel peeping after taking the photos. Another thing to try.

I think the way you describe focus shift it sounds more like lens calibration of focus movement where moving away from infinity has a different focus to moving towards infinity. I learned from Jono S a long time ago to always focus moving away from infinity to give a consistency that you can then correct for. 

• Like 1

AFAIK... focus shift is when you focus on something close wide open, then stop down a bit (say 2 stops) and the focus moves behind the subject, even though the camera and subject were static

IMHO it would be bad news on a tripod, but in a live (eg street etc) environment your/subject movement, field curvature and the inherent error margin of using a very fast lens wide open would probably negate it and I suspect it wouldn't adversely affect the number of shots in focus. (ie loads of reason to miss focus a bit, not just focus shift)

I mean all of that generically, not about the VM 50/1

There is no appreciable focus shift on the Voigtlander Nokton f/1. I checked my copy very carefully. There is just a touch of reverse field curvature, though. Not much, but it’s there. We are used to lenses where the “plane” of focus is actually more of a “sphere” of focus where the most distant point is at the center, and the corners are actually sharpest on objects just a bit closer. We’ll, the Nokton has a backwards spheres—where the point of focus at the center of the field is just a tiny bit Closer than the point of focus in the corners.

Aside from that, truly exceptional performance. I’d take mine any day over a 0.95 Noctilux just because of the reduced color fringing and smaller size and weight. It’s perfectly usable at f/1, and competitive with my 50 APO across the field at f/2. Wish it didn’t obscure the viewfinder quite so much, but that’s probably inevitable with a 50mm this fast.

• Like 4