Voigtlander 50mm f/1 VM

jaeger

59 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

Looks suspiciously like the 1961 Canon 50mm/0.95 "dream" lens.

11 minutes ago, FrozenInTime said:

It will be as interesting to see how this monster is marketed as it will be to see the sample photos.

2022 looks set to bring us more threads about viewfinder blockage,  field curvature, vignetting, onion rings, cat's eyes , purple fringing , flare ... 

I would combine these 2 comments like this "the 1961 Canon 50mm/0.95 "dream" lens" + "viewfinder blockage,  field curvature, vignetting, onion rings, cat's eyes , purple fringing , flare"

I kinda have some good feelings toward recent design voigtlanders lenses.

1 minute ago, jaeger said:

I would combine these 2 comments like this "the 1961 Canon 50mm/0.95 "dream" lens" + "viewfinder blockage,  field curvature, vignetting, onion rings, cat's eyes , purple fringing , flare"

No doubt the Voigt will be better than the 'ole Dreamo. I have it on my watch list.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jaeger said:

I have enjoyed the drawing of the 50/1.5 Heliar classic more that the perfection of the 50/2 APO-Lanthar, so hope the 50/1 will not take itself too seriously ; after all it already looks like a clown of a lens 🙂 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

So it's a double aspherical 50mm f1! 😁 . What does 'grinding' aspherical mean btw. I love that they kept similar in styling to the f1.1. Personally I hated the chrome ring look.

I believe we'll have another winner here folks ( pending clean aspherical bokeh balls) lol. And just when I was about to give in to the mic noct. knock offs

Edited by cboy
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, cboy said:

So it's a double aspherical 50mm f1! 😁 . What does 'grinding' aspherical mean btw. I love that they kept similar in styling to the f1.1. Personally I hated the chrome ring look.

I believe we'll have another winner here folks ( pending clean aspherical bokeh balls) lol. And just when I was about to give in to the mic noct. knock offs

For some decades now, aspherical glass elements are molded when hot melting glass still 'soft' with two ceramic parents.

This technic is not suitable with large surface and/or some kind of glass (which one type is used in this Nokton 1.0).

The other asph. element, at rear 'aspherical' at each side, being smaller (or right type of glass) could be molded type in this Nokton 1.0.

Grinding is long time individual job with precision 'diamond' turning tools.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Anyway, the onion ring would be there with aspherical elements

Maybe the grinding is fine enough to avoid the onion ring ?

I'll give it a try when available.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks. I understand that's the reason why Leica lost money producing their first aspherical lenses as it was hand ground.

I guess machining is now at stage that it can be machined polished to more exacting tolerances that minimises onion ringing?

But I thought machine grinding aspherical was a common practice and I never heard it was ever marketed such as 'GA'

3 minutes ago, Alexander-HH said:

Very curious how this turns out. Too bad it only goes down to 0.9 m, especially since it is equipped with a FLE floating element mechanism to improve quality at MFD according to Voigtlander.

It's because it doesn't have a floating lens element, as far as I can see. Where do you read that it's an FLE design?

Edited by LarsHP

vor 2 Minuten schrieb LarsHP:

It's because it doesn't have a floating lens element, as far as I can see. Where do you read that it's an FLE design?

On Vogtlanders website (German) - it is on the right to the lens diagram, in the fourth paragraph:  https://www.voigtlaender.de/objektive/vm/50-mm-11-nokton/

Edited by Alexander-HH
  • Like 3

Just now, Al Brown said:

So the price is set at around $2000... Does not go well with 0.9m MFD.

Unless you're shooting an M3 that has had its minimum focus distance reduced to 0.9... like mine... but I realize I'm a dinosaur :) 

Mind you, a 1m min focus distance never stopped the Leica 50/1 from becoming popular.

—Peter.

• Like 6