Picked up a Leica M9-P (All black)

CGarrard

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've owned a few M (digital) bodies now, M8/9/Typ 262/Typ 262 Monochrom/Typ 240, but the M8 was my favorite and I've been shooting with it for years. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages of course. I liked the M9, it was my second favorite of the bunch above, but I'm not about the big red logo personally. To each his own of course. For me, less is more with Leica M's. 

I prefer the understated look of the M9-P, and missed it's sensor from the M9. Good compliment to my all black M8 (which has a black logo now). Also getting a couple more lenses to compliment the system in 50mm/90mm.

While I'm at it, I'll share a couple M9 photos, why not. Such excellent tones and detail with this sensor. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

7 hours ago, CGarrard said:

I've owned a few M (digital) bodies now, M8/9/Typ 262/Typ 262 Monochrom/Typ 240, but the M8 was my favorite

Maybe M Type 246 ?

OR

Please explain what is Leica Typ 262 Monochrom.

I ask because my dreamed M would be M-D-Monochrom ( non existe M-D typ 262 Monochrom sensor, no screen ! )

My M9-P arrived yesterday. I'm one of those lucky people who got a much better deal than I maybe should have. It's in better condition than described (bought from a major camera dealer), literally like new with 190 shutter actuations and everything is in the pristine box as if opened the first time (nothing was discarded). There's not a single scratch on it, the sensor is perfect, and the rangefinder is spot on with all three of my lenses. I couldn't ask for more, but... I got more.

What I wasn't prepared for was  how absolutely stunning it is in person. I must say even more so than any other of my previous Leica's which, where all impressive in their own right. The exterior changes reduce the camera design to it's utmost simplified essentials.  And to me, it's less-is-more design is the real beauty here. The exterior seems to mirror the downright simple and clean menu system and camera features perfectly. And I'm definitely okay with the etched Leica logo on top of the camera, a touch of class if I must say so.

Pretty sure the paint is an upgrade over the M9, it seems harder than and slightly matte in finish. The dry but grippy leatherette is both practical and very classy looking. Apologize if I seem to be droning on about its beauty, but it can't be helped.

The M9-P is by far, of the myriad of cameras I either own or have owned, the most beautiful camera to ever land on my desk. A beautiful but equally practical tool that I'm going to thoroughly enjoy using.

And this is the first image I made with my new M9-P, of my daughter.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Paused when I saw this Live Oak on yesterday's hike n shoot. Something about it. Non-stop shooting with the M9-P right now.

15 hours ago, CGarrard said:

Paused when I saw this Live Oak on yesterday's hike n shoot. Something about it. Non-stop shooting with the M9-P right now.

Beautiful Oak and beautiful light on it.

There are bits of technology which simply work for an individual. I had a 35mm 2.8f summaron and sold it in a fit of stupidity a couple of years ago. I've regretted it every time I've picked up my M9 since.

On 12/11/2021 at 4:19 PM, CGarrard said:

My M9-P arrived yesterday. I'm one of those lucky people who got a much better deal than I maybe should have. It's in better condition than described (bought from a major camera dealer), literally like new with 190 shutter actuations and everything is in the pristine box as if opened the first time (nothing was discarded). There's not a single scratch on it, the sensor is perfect, and the rangefinder is spot on with all three of my lenses. I couldn't ask for more, but... I got more.

What I wasn't prepared for was  how absolutely stunning it is in person. I must say even more so than any other of my previous Leica's which, where all impressive in their own right. The exterior changes reduce the camera design to it's utmost simplified essentials.  And to me, it's less-is-more design is the real beauty here. The exterior seems to mirror the downright simple and clean menu system and camera features perfectly. And I'm definitely okay with the etched Leica logo on top of the camera, a touch of class if I must say so.

Pretty sure the paint is an upgrade over the M9, it seems harder than and slightly matte in finish. The dry but grippy leatherette is both practical and very classy looking. Apologize if I seem to be droning on about its beauty, but it can't be helped.

The M9-P is by far, of the myriad of cameras I either own or have owned, the most beautiful camera to ever land on my desk. A beautiful but equally practical tool that I'm going to thoroughly enjoy using.

Eight years ago, almost to the day, I bought my first Leica, a beautiful silver M9-P. It did me proud for several years until I foolishly sold it to fund an M10, which in its turn later funded an M10M. It remains the most beautiful Leica I have ever had and a replacement is due to arrive this afternoon - silver again, with the sensor replaced by Leica in 2019. I still have the grip, Thumbie, and three batteries from the original.  I am ridiculously excited.

The original theory was that the M10M would be my main camera, with the SL601 as a backup for when I needed colour - that didn't recognise that the SL, excellent picture-taking machine though it is, has no soul and is really rather hideous, so I don't much enjoy using it. I shall keep it for my R glass and tricky lenses like the Noctilux but it's back to M most of the time and I can't wait. My old M9-P produced many of the best pictures I've ever taken.

2 hours ago, Musotographer said:

Eight years ago, almost to the day, I bought my first Leica, a beautiful silver M9-P. It did me proud for several years until I foolishly sold it to fund an M10, which in its turn later funded an M10M. It remains the most beautiful Leica I have ever had and a replacement is due to arrive this afternoon - silver again, with the sensor replaced by Leica in 2019. I still have the grip, Thumbie, and three batteries from the original.  I am ridiculously excited.

The original theory was that the M10M would be my main camera, with the SL601 as a backup for when I needed colour - that didn't recognise that the SL, excellent picture-taking machine though it is, has no soul and is really rather hideous, so I don't much enjoy using it. I shall keep it for my R glass and tricky lenses like the Noctilux but it's back to M most of the time and I can't wait. My old M9-P produced many of the best pictures I've ever taken.

It will be interesting to hear how you get on with it after the newer Ms. I love my M9s and am derading the day they die and I have to get something newer, new sensor M9s are getting rarer as time passes.

On 12/16/2021 at 6:12 AM, Musotographer said:

Fantastic. Reading that brought a smile to my face. I think we all try to continue to maximize the experience with our gear,  and sometimes we fail to see that sometimes its as good as it gets.

My M8 remains my favorite overall, in a sort of tie with my new M9-P. I'm in the middle of a trade to acquire an MP Typ 240. I'll pretty much have it covered with those three. I like to use my M8 for IR and b/w photography, M9-P is becoming a "classic" overall experience, and the MP Typ 240 will be my a "modern" M- at tool I can do a bit more other types of photography with. I'm glad to offload a bunch of my gear fo these acquisitions, M's are just unique, and the experience of using them the same.

Another lucky punter here; it's on'y been with me for a couple of (very busy) days so I've had no time yet to try it out properly other than round the house, but I think I've found a winner. For a nine-year-old camera it's in very good shape with hardly a mark on it. The rangefinder seems to be spot-on, even with the Noctilux 50 wide-open, the sensor apart from a couple of tiny specks of dust looks immaculate, as does the rear screen, and the whole thing seems to be working impeccably. It's so good to have an M9-P back in my hands.

Indeed - the later M cameras’ much larger file sizes, LiveView/EVF and hugely extended ISO ranges mean that getting framing and exposure right in camera is both easier and less critical than in the M8 & M9. With them the skill of the photographer plays a much greater role IMHO.

• 3 weeks later...

At last I got out with my new-to-me M9-P - what a pleasure. And the files are so easy to process.

Ilminster parish church, Elmarit-M 28 pre-asph IV

14 minutes ago, Musotographer said:

At last I got out with my new-to-me M9-P - what a pleasure. And the files are so easy to process.

That's a nice shot, well done. I love my M9s for all the reasons you mentioned. 👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2022 at 9:01 AM, Musotographer said:

Yes excellent exposure, agreed. My eyes wander all over the photograph too (sign of good composition in my book). :)

On 12/16/2021 at 6:12 AM, Musotographer said:

I agree that although the SL system takes great photos, there is nowhere near the enjoyment of taking pictures with the SL compared to the M.  I just dropped off my SL, SL2 and 4 SL lenses for consignment.  My silver M9-P and M9-M, both bought new, and whose sensors have both been replaced with the most current non-corrosive variety have brought endless joy.  Hopefully, Leica will continue to produce batteries as the older ones age out.  It is also very hard to find 8 or 16GB UHS1 cards that these early Ms prefer.