Now available: Leica Q2 Reporter - Ultra-robust product variant with Kevlar armour

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 minutes ago, liggy said:

Yikes!  I have the Hendrix in black and it’s pretty nice.  Sorry that the Mamba isn’t up to par.  Love the COOPH but have ordered a green/black paracord strap from a fellow on Etsy that will incorporate the PD anchors.  
Will post some pics when it arrives.  

https://www.etsy.com/listing/997837669/black-army-green-military-style-paracord?click_key=6f70ef5c6d2e25cdecba489f78d89874025ff902%3A997837669&click_sum=d83c8c20&ref=shop_home_active_22&frs=1&sca=1&sts=1

That looks awesome!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, liggy said:

Fingers crossed!  The maker has been super responsive so far.  

Good to hear. Prices are very reasonable. I decided to try one, too, the all-Paracord army green one with brown leather in 130cm:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I just got crazy and ordered this. Anyone have any reports on if the green wears off like the black paint does on the regular model? I just liked that it didn't have the red dot on it to be honest. Can't tell if someone would know what the heck it was if I was holding it. I would prefer to be low key but I can't decide weather this is low key or high key.. heh. Apparently for the $300 more the body is supposed to be more scratch resistant and less glossy, not sure how true.

I shoot raw, I shoot manual and I learned on a Nikon Film metal body so I think I will really enjoy it, but it not I will just return it.

Anyone know if it has the white blinkies for blown highlights like canon has?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, firelegend said:

I just got crazy and ordered this. Anyone have any reports on if the green wears off like the black paint does on the regular model? I just liked that it didn't have the red dot on it to be honest. Can't tell if someone would know what the heck it was if I was holding it. I would prefer to be low key but I can't decide weather this is low key or high key.. heh. Apparently for the $300 more the body is supposed to be more scratch resistant and less glossy, not sure how true.

I shoot raw, I shoot manual and I learned on a Nikon Film metal body so I think I will really enjoy it, but it not I will just return it.

It’s much more matte. Scratch resistance, hard to tell. I don’t think anyone has fixed the fraying, or maybe it’s leas severe but that’s going to be part of the charm… also the fabric kinda changes colour in the light from being rubbed, i’d say…. White blinkies yes.

Sounds like a semi impulsive purchase, first Leica? The crops are amazing, to me, when I get the right thing — for social. Welcome! What plans do you have for straps, the included one is fine but we were having a discussion about various green/other matching possibilities :)

On 1/11/2022 at 2:32 PM, firelegend said:

Yes, flashing highlight warning is an option for shooting, and you need to pay attention to it as the Q2 sensor highlights are not as recoverable IMO as some other cameras. If you have a Canon, you're used to that, though, compared to a Sony BSI sensor anwyay. Paint has a somewhat rough, grippy tooth to it. It has actually worn my strap a little versus the usual scenario of the strap wearing the camera finish. I haven't scratched it yet, but of course I haven't tried. The Kevlar gets rougher with use, but there is no exposed bottom edge to fray like on the M10 Reporter. Between the paint and the Kevlar, this model has so much grip, I haven't felt the need to add a hand grip or a case. The black painted aluminum on the lens will show wear over time. It already have a very small nick in the aperture ring from it colliding with a piece of jewelry. Gotta love that first ding, lol.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/11/2022 at 2:32 PM, firelegend said:

Oh, and congrats! :)

• Like 1

thank you for taking the time to reply @hdmesa the info is helpful! I keep thinking about canceling the order because I realized if I got the regular Q2 on amazon its actually a much bigger savings then $300. And also my kitten is growing and I would love the camera now. I wish I knew if the wait was a week or a month. B&H has 70 on order.. and 20 orders in the pipeline, I think I'm number 21. Giving me too much time to re-think my decision lol. I really like the idea of it being more scratch resistant and no red dot... so I'm trying to sit tight. $300 felt like worth it.. $600+ seems more like.. just deal with it and enjoy it sooner. But then I think I am going to have this camera for a very long time and the SE may hold up better over time as well as make it more desirable if I ever did need to sell it.

35 minutes ago, firelegend said:

thank you for taking the time to reply @hdmesa the info is helpful! I keep thinking about canceling the order because I realized if I got the regular Q2 on amazon its actually a much bigger savings then $300. And also my kitten is growing and I would love the camera now. I wish I knew if the wait was a week or a month. B&H has 70 on order.. and 20 orders in the pipeline, I think I'm number 21. Giving me too much time to re-think my decision lol. I really like the idea of it being more scratch resistant and no red dot... so I'm trying to sit tight. $300 felt like worth it.. $600+ seems more like.. just deal with it and enjoy it sooner. But then I think I am going to have this camera for a very long time and the SE may hold up better over time as well as make it more desirable if I ever did need to sell it.

You'll have a better chance of getting one more quickly by getting on the list with Popflash or another smaller Leica seller, plus you won't have to pay tax if you don't live in their state, which helps balance out some of the added cost over the regular Q2.

I think the finish is worth waiting for. The regular Q2 finish (in my opinion) is not very nice. It fingerprints and gets face oil smudges on it – I was constantly wiping it off to keep it perfect.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2022 at 12:35 PM, Njhaley said:

It’s much more matte. Scratch resistance, hard to tell. I don’t think anyone has fixed the fraying, or maybe it’s leas severe but that’s going to be part of the charm… also the fabric kinda changes colour in the light from being rubbed, i’d say…. White blinkies yes.

Sounds like a semi impulsive purchase, first Leica? The crops are amazing, to me, when I get the right thing — for social. Welcome! What plans do you have for straps, the included one is fine but we were having a discussion about various green/other matching possibilities :)

Ive heard its nice to get a strap a bit longer then the one that comes with it. I like the corded one above that has green under/in it but honestly I think a long thin black leather strap with green wax/side would be pretty nice looking if the green matched. When I first get it I plan to just evaluate it before I buy a bunch of stuff for it, as I've never shot a Leica. I'm a Canon Full Frame / Raw / Manual  shooter but Ive used Nikon, Fuji and Hasselblad (my father has a film one I've used, I was tempted by the little digital one they sell now because I could use his lens, its about the same amount of money I am spending on the Leica but I wanted something for travel/lightness. My L lens's are tanks).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, firelegend said:

OMGOSH Leica come on ship the dang camera's! I wish there was a website with dates or something. No info anyplace!

I think Voigtlander may be one of the only major photographic players I've seen let the public know a current batch of a product is sold out and when to expect the next one. More companies should do that.

Yeah I got frustrated by realizing it was $600 less on amazon, then I ordered it on amazon in black and realized it was a 3rd party seller so I promptly canceled that order. I do not trust 3rd party sellers for something. like that, I had already canceled my pre-order when I realized that. but I was 20th in line at B&H so I dont even know if they would get 20 in their batch anyway (they said they had 70 on order)... sooooo I got a regular one from adorama and I will now leave this thread because I won't be getting one of these bad boys lol. I also realize they may literally get it in stock tomorrow and there I am.. thats life, argh!

Edited by firelegend
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, firelegend said:

Yeah I got frustrated by realizing it was $600 less on amazon, then I ordered it on amazon in black and realized it was a 3rd party seller so I promptly canceled that order. I do not trust 3rd party sellers for something. like that, I had already canceled my pre-order when I realized that. but I was 20th in line at B&H so I dont even know if they would get 20 in their batch anyway (they said they had 70 on order)... sooooo I got a regular one from adorama and I will now leave this thread because I won't be getting one of these bad boys lol. I also realize they may literally get it in stock tomorrow and there I am.. thats life, argh!

Same camera, and you saved some major coin with the regular version. Congrats!

Strap came in today from Etsy.
Really loving it so far.  Asked for integrated Peak Design Anchors and imo it’s beautifully done.  The internal cotton strap is just a little brighter green than the body but it’s pretty close. 

Paracord work looks nice and the maker was super cool to work with. 

Clear #1 in the strap rotation.  :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by liggy
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Looks like reporter series is the swan song of Leica models. 
Just like M10-P reporter were the last M10-P. 
Q2 Reporter may also be the last one before Q3. 

Q2 reporter paint is reportedly the same kind of duratec (from Deluxe Valentine) spray paint used on M11. 

So in your humble opinion there with be no Leica Q2-P?

6 hours ago, Le Chef said:

...there with be no Leica Q2-P?

And don't forget we still have the Q2 Monochrom Reporter coming in March, which will be a limited edition unlike the color version. But it's impossible to know if the Reporters take the place of the "P" version. Before he was banned, Steven said the Q3 was nowhere near being ready, so I took that to mean it was still in the initial planning stages. That would allow time for Q2-P, but who knows.