Storing in Billingham Hadley Pro

Infantasy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, I am currently using a Billingham Hadley Small Pro for my M10P and several lenses. Sometime feel congested and like to buy a Hadley Pro or Hadley Pro 2020 but wonder how many lenses and M-camera can be carried more in particular when the compartment for storing a M10P, no more lense can be stored without stacking it underneath.  The height of the bag is a bit awkward. Could you please share some photos of your configuration if you are using Hadley Pro or Hadley Pro 2020. Thanks.

I have a Hadley Small Pro too and also the larger Hadley Pro 2020 too. I don't have any photos of my bags handy, but you can easily fit an M body and 4 "M" lenses in it if you "stack" the lenses using 2 lens double-caps to make 2 Lens Stacks into the Hadley Pro 2020. You'd also have room for some other small accessories in the pockets and an Ipad or small laptop can easily squeeze into the back pouch or in the interior of the bag behind the organizer.

Edited by roverover

When I am travelling overseas, I sometime pack my Hadley Pro with a camera, 3-4 lenses, a MacBook Pro, a small flash and some other miscellaneous accessories. Heavy but only to get from point A to point B.

However, when on a walkabout to take photos, the bag is packed much lighter with camera, 1-2 lenses and a small flash, if needed. I sometimes use a smaller Hadley Digital with an Avea 3 pouch.

At home, gear is stored in a dry cabinet and never in the bag. 

Edited by rramesh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Infantasy said:

Although 225 can accommodate more lenses and bodies, the overall size is bulky and discontinued.  

Thank you for all your opinions. 

I also had a 225, and it's a fine bag, but proved to be too large for MY needs and I sold mine, but they really are quite nice if Your
gear collection is still growing and want extra space.

I replaced my 225 with a "Hadley One" model if you decide you might need something larger but not as large as the 225 series
as I did.

• 2 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/9/2021 at 5:52 PM, Infantasy said:

Although 225 can accommodate more lenses and bodies, the overall size is bulky and discontinued.  

Billingham still lists it on their U.S. website, although it is out of stock at the moment:  https://billingham.com/products/225-camera-bag_colour-khaki-canvas-tan-leather

Long ago, I had a 335 and it was a great bag.  The only drawback was that it was large enough to carry enough gear to cause me back/shoulder pain.  I now have a 225, which can carry an M body and 2-3 lenses and a Q2 - if you need to carry that much all at once.  If so, we are getting into the weight issue again (for me) with that much gear.

As I have continued to live the photographic life, I have been drawn to the one camera, 1 or 2 lens ethos, making my Billingham Hadley Pro or a similar sized bag large enough.  I have the dividers configured so the bag is divided into thirds and I insert my M10M, Q2 or M4-P into the middle compartment, standing vertically on its left side.  A second lens may go into the left compartment and the right is used for the strap, a lens cleaning brush and a microfiber lens cloth.

Dragging around every photographic tool owned - AKA "National Geographic syndrome" - is counterproductive in my experience.  Too much gear, too much weight makes photography a job rather than a enjoyable experience.  Edward Abbey's observation about life is also applicable to carrying an excess of camera gear when it is not needed (below).

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Siriusone59 said:

Not meaning to highjack this thread but would a Hadley Pro 2020 be large enough for say a m10 and Q and maybe an additional lens? .....or two?

I have one. I feel you can fit an M Body, a Q and 2 lenses if you use a lens double cap to stack the lenses.
I don't think you will fit an M body WITH a lens attached unless it's a very short lens with the Q and 2 lenses, but those items you asked about WILL fit that bag.
You also COULD add 1 or 2 of the Billingham End Pockets to extend the capacity of the Hadley Pro 2020 if you might need to carry a few other items.
I have 1 End Pocket for mine too so I can fit a few small essentials in there too.

The next size up is the Hadley One, and I have that bag too, which fits much more.

• Thanks 1

On 2/19/2022 at 7:11 PM, Siriusone59 said:

Not meaning to highjack this thread but would a Hadley Pro 2020 be large enough for say a m10 and Q and maybe an additional lens? .....or two?

The regular size Hadley Pro will carry that much gear, if the two additional lenses are not longer lenses like a 90mm and a 135mm.  One long lens and a wide angle would fit.

Edited by Herr Barnack

I have a Hadley Pro and have no problems with the size nor the stack. I use it as home base on travels, but hardly carry it on the street with all my lenses, in that case I use the Hadley Small or the Digital with pre-selected lenses to go. I’m still a very happy owner of these three, although I also often carry my M10R on the  neck with one or two lenses in the packsafe waist bag. 
I store in three compartments: left the camera with mostly the FLE, in the middle: 24, pad, 75, pad, Elmar 50, right: 135 or 90. The 90 fits also horizontally in the middle instead of the 75. In the dump pocket right the Summicron 35. I can even take the 16” macbook pro with a little squeeze. If I take my R tele lenses these come in the Pro and most M stuff in the Small.

Edited by otto.f

On 12/10/2021 at 9:52 AM, Infantasy said:

Not discontinued according to Billingham UK website either  https://billingham.co.uk/collections/camera-bags/products/225

Edited by Mute-on

18 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

The regular size Hadley Pro will carry that much gear, if the two additional lenses are not longer lenses like a 90mm and a 135mm.  One long lens and a wide angle would fit.

I ordered the Pro 2020 before reading your post, hopefully it will fit what I need.  If not, I'll send it back or purchase end pockets for the smaller items.  I plan to use it just for storage of items not being used at the time...most likely one camera and additional lens, batteries etc. But might try to cram both cameras in during transport.  I'll find out when it arrives later this week.

Thanks for your input. The experience shared on this site is most helpful.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Siriusone59 said:

I ordered the Pro 2020 before reading your post, hopefully it will fit what I need.  If not, I'll send it back or purchase end pockets for the smaller items.  I plan to use it just for storage of items not being used at the time...most likely one camera and additional lens, batteries etc. But might try to cram both cameras in during transport.  I'll find out when it arrives later this week.

Thanks for your input. The experience shared on this site is most helpful.

If not big enough, consider the Hadley One instead.  Same style, just bigger. Better than add-on pockets IMO, unless you mostly carry a smaller outfit.

Jeff

I highly recommend using the Peak dividers in the Hadley bags. I only currently have a Small Pro, but the small Peak dividers size well in it. The Peak dividers have an ingenious fold over design so easy to stack lenses, or fold down for one lens and a body down the middle with a long lens like a 135mm. I go between the Hadley small and the Peak design 10L sling. The sling is great for like the 10 days I just did in with the family on Kauai in Hawaii as it zips up tight against sand, water, dust, etc and can wear to the back. Went ziplining, water kayaking (with dry bag of course), at the beach in the surf, horseback riding, etc all with the M10-R in tow and shooting. Almost 256GB in total (a lot, almost all really, for a landscape/seascape project I’m working on but also of the family). 

I’m stuck at my friends in Kilauea due to a thrown out lower back. Family flew back last night to school and work. Made it through everything and then packing yesterday morning that nauseating spasm doing absolutely nothing and then the dread of knowing you’re f*^#ed. Got my miles returned and taking a non-redeye this time on Wed. with an upgrade to a premium economy bulkhead seat. Even got in to see a chiropractor today that was a two minute walk from my friends. So life could be worse. 

From a past trip. M10. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
On 2/21/2022 at 4:54 AM, otto.f said:

I have a Hadley Pro and have no problems with the size nor the stack. I use it as home base on travels, but hardly carry it on the street with all my lenses, in that case I use the Hadley Small or the Digital with pre-selected lenses to go. I’m still a very happy owner of these three, although I also often carry my M10R on the  neck with one or two lenses in the packsafe waist bag. 
I store in three compartments: left the camera with mostly the FLE, in the middle: 24, pad, 75, pad, Elmar 50, right: 135 or 90. The 90 fits also horizontally in the middle instead of the 75. In the dump pocket right the Summicron 35. I can even take the 16” macbook pro with a little squeeze. If I take my R tele lenses these come in the Pro and most M stuff in the Small.

So if the bag is not too crammed I can squeeze in the16“ pro in the back of the hadley pro, is this the 2020 version or original? 
thank you very much!

3 hours ago, Ormus said:

So if the bag is not too crammed I can squeeze in the16“ pro in the back of the hadley pro, is this the 2020 version or original? 
thank you very much!

I don’t know about a 2020 and own it quite a long time so it will be the original. I just pack M’s in it when the macbook 16” comes along. No SL and only the smaller R lenses