M10-R Black Paint Edition

Ouroboros

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Based on Jeff S's post, I checked around and did find a couple of BP's available.  I actually started the ordering process but as I continued with filling in the appropriate info, I slowly came to the conclusion that I just can't get on board with the price.  I've owned four Leica Ms over the years but never bought a new one.  I guess I'm just a "used Leica" kind of guy.  :(  

Edited by Mikep996
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mikep996 said:

Based on Jeff S's post, I checked around and did find a couple of BP's available.  I actually started the ordering process but as I continued with filling in the appropriate info, I slowly came to the conclusion that I just can't get on board with the price.  I've owned four Leica Ms over the years but never bought a new one.  I guess I'm just a "used Leica" kind of guy.  :(  

Trade-ins can offset the pain, especially if the new gear is replacing an item, or if one has others for trade or sale that will not get much use.  At least the BP is (for now) a limited edition at a minor price premium compared to other such special  editions.  But, yes, prices for new Ms have jumped significantly in a relatively short period, especially given tariffs.

Jeff

18 hours ago, Mikep996 said:

As Jeff said, trading can offset the pain, that’s what i did… especially with digital camera… only dont sell out the glasses, it’s more painful in the end

FWIW, my post from earlier re the BP being discontinued by Leica - as I mistakenly understood from B&H - was incorrect.  Leica AG shows the M10R BP as a current model along with the M10R black/chrome and M10R silver chrome.

Out of curiosity, it SEEMS to me that if you have a BP version, it would drop considerably in value once it has some brassing.  I realize Leica markets 'patina' on the BP as being a good thing but, IMO, it would not be if reselling.  Since the BP will scratch/mark much easier than the black chrome, does this make the BP pretty much a "display-only/collector" camera or do folks here that own them feel comfortable being out in regular daily use just as they would with a black chrome model?

Edited by Mikep996

Advertisement (gone after registration)

21 minutes ago, Mikep996 said:

.......  Since the BP will scratch/mark much easier than the black chrome, does this make the BP pretty much a "display-only/collector" camera or do folks here that own them feel comfortable being out in regular daily use just as they would with a black chrome model?

I didn't spend £7.5k on a camera just to look at it!  :D

I don't bother about the effect on it's resale value if it picks up a few marks in my owner(user)ship.  It's no different to any other camera I use in that respect.   

I  will admit to being the type of customer that Leica probably don't really target; the last time I bought a new Leica was in 2006, a black paint MP which has travelled widely with me and had many rolls of film through it.

From my experience, black paint, at least the stuff on my MP, is more durable than many people seem to think.  After 16 years of regular use it is only just beginning to show brass on the end of the wind-on lever and the knurled part of the rewind knob.   The only real indicator of it's age, apart from the serial number, is that some of the white text on the back of the top plate has yellowed.

I have no reason to treat my M10-R BP any differently.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Mikep996 said:

FWIW, my post from earlier re the BP being discontinued by Leica - as I mistakenly understood from B&H - was incorrect.  Leica AG shows the M10R BP as a current model along with the M10R black/chrome and M10R silver chrome.

Out of curiosity, it SEEMS to me that if you have a BP version, it would drop considerably in value once it has some brassing.  I realize Leica markets 'patina' on the BP as being a good thing but, IMO, it would not be if reselling.  Since the BP will scratch/mark much easier than the black chrome, does this make the BP pretty much a "display-only/collector" camera or do folks here that own them feel comfortable being out in regular daily use just as they would with a black chrome model?

Steven told us that a dealer already offered him a premium for his sandpapered camera.  There’s a buyer for most anything, I suppose.

Jeff

1 hour ago, Mikep996 said:

Since the BP will scratch/mark much easier than the black chrome, does this make the BP pretty much a "display-only/collector" camera or do folks here that own them feel comfortable being out in regular daily use just as they would with a black chrome model?

My M10-R BP is with me out there daily - studio, sun, sand or fog. Every time I look at its black paint with brassed details and laser engravings I get overwhelmed with joy - it truly makes my daily work a pleasure to hold such a gorgeous piece of gear No Canikon can match. Just got me a Thumbs up black paint thumb rest from a very nice Lieca store in Coral Gables, FL and it is a prefect match!
There will ABSOLUTLEY be a top notch buyer for it when the time comes. There was one for my M6TTL engraved and my M240 engraved. The former ended up on a bewildering journey that started in Sweden, stoping over in Austria, only to be finally purchased for a personal collection by an Iranian gentleman from Canada - with no internet classifieds back in the day.
No need to worry one bit about resale value. As Jeff said, there is a market for eveything.

PS. @Mikep996 I have never before bought a new Leica M either.

Edited by Al Brown

I use mine almost every day. Fantastic piece of work. 🤠

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Managed to get one from a local dealer. The manufacturing date stamps September, not that I'll mind. It's really a glossy beauty!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

11 hours ago, MrFriendly said:

Some people are buying the M10-R BP hoping that in a few years they'll be able to sell it for more than what they paid for because it's a 'collectors' item.  That's just not going to happen IMO.  Digital M cameras always depreciate. 

Some people bought a black paint M10-R because they like it and couldn't give a toss about how much it might depreciate in value.

Me, for one.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Some people bought a black paint M10-R because they like it and couldn't give a toss about how much it might depreciate in value.

Me, for one.

I bought a black paint M10-R brand new from Popflash for less than the cost of a regular M10-R. I use it professionally every day. It's a wonderful camera. Depreciation is a given with any digital camera.

BTW, the M10-R is the first digital Leica that I've bought brand new. I've used every normal model since the M8, but I bought them all used.

• Like 1