M10-R Black Paint Edition

Ouroboros

I bought mine from Red Dot Cameras a couple of weeks ago - it was the last one they had in stock.  Mine predates yours by a little over 300 so at the moment you are Top Trumps!  Just to add, my production date was 28th September.

Edited by T25UFO
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

The M10-R black paint edition is now listed as Sold Out.  I received mine from Leica on November 26th and was wondering if it's one of the last.  Serial number is 5655175.  

Look for production date on the side of the sticker of the outer packaging. I received mine early November, which was made on Oct 13th. I was told it’s one of the last batches of bp models, if not the last.

FYI my serial number is 71 after yours.

Edited by arriestocracy
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, arriestocracy said:

Look for production date on the side of the sticker of the outer packaging. I received mine early November, which was made on Oct 13th. I was told it’s one of the last batches of bp models, if not the last.

FYI my serial number is 71 after yours.

Sticker on the outer box of mine is dated 22-10-2021.  Probably just dates the outer box! :D 

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Haha 1

Per BH today, the BP M10R has been discontinued.   

If an '11 is really going to be released in the near future, seems unlikely they would produce any more 10's of any kind from whenever the release announcement occurs.  I suspect the 11 will have a P and/or a BP option! ;)

Edited by Mikep996

5 hours ago, Mikep996 said:

seems unlikely they would produce any more 10's of any kind from whenever the release announcement occurs

We might get one more “M-E” type M10 variant, like we did with the original M9 M-E (typ 220 after the M240 came out) and the 240 based M-E (M-E typ 240) after the M10 came out

11 hours ago, Adam Bonn said:

We might get one more “M-E” type M10 variant, like we did with the original M9 M-E (typ 220 after the M240 came out) and the 240 based M-E (M-E typ 240) after the M10 came out

Given the popularity of black paint M’s , It would make more sense to list it as an standard option rather than a ‘limited edition’.

22 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Given the popularity of black paint M’s , It would make more sense to list it as an standard option rather than a ‘limited edition’.

Agree but any ME M10 will probably be grey

17 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Agree . . . but that's not the Leica business model.  First the regular camera, then the P model, then the Monochrom, then perhaps the oddball (D) and finally the limited editions.  They play to their target market, which is relatively small, but a lot of that small market still follow the upgrade path.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jeff S said:

There’s a difference between discontinued and sold out.  It’s not sold out.  

Jeff

True - I was on the wait list for one and received a message from BH saying they are no longer available/been discontinued by Leica.  I assume that's accurate.  Of course there may be some around but BH, Adorama/Miami Leica do not have any.  

On 12/8/2021 at 10:14 PM, Ouroboros said:

The M10-R black paint edition is now listed as Sold Out.  I received mine from Leica on November 26th and was wondering if it's one of the last.  Serial number is 5655175.  

Picked up mine this afternoon. The number is almost exactly 600 after yours, production date 26/10/21. Certainly not one of the last made, but no worries, I'm happy with it nonetheless. 

1 hour ago, Mikep996 said:

True - I was on the wait list for one and received a message from BH saying they are no longer available/been discontinued by Leica.  I assume that's accurate.  Of course there may be some around but BH, Adorama/Miami Leica do not have any.  

I called three dealers this week regarding trade-in/sales possibilities to consolidate my gear, and each one had one remaining BP camera. I’m confident I could have found more if I were in the hunt, especially at lesser known dealers. Popular stores like Miami (now YouTube stars) have waiting lists and sold out quickly. 

Jeff

41 minutes ago, nodrog said:

Picked up mine this afternoon. The number is almost exactly 600 after yours, production date 26/10/21. Certainly not one of the last made, but no worries, I'm happy with it nonetheless. 

No reason not to be happy, it wasn't the point of starting the thread.  I'm trying to understand the serial numbers.  The M10-R BP is a very nice camera regardless of numbers and dates!

The differences between the box dates, serial numbers and the date of distribution are confusing. Mine came direct from Leica UK who notified me as soon as they had received it  from Wetzlar (presumably) on November 23rd.  Everywhere else in the UK had sold out at that point. 

The box date on yours is only four days after mine but you say the serial number puts yours at 600 camera bodies further back along the production line.  If the black paint edition was indeed limited to 2000 worldwide as Leica say, going by serial numbers alone it seems odd that they might leave production of potentially 30% + of the edition to the final few weeks or even days before discontinuing it.

I assume the serial numbers are allocated  to bodies regardless of finish, unless I'm missing something.

Edited by Ouroboros

There is of course confusion as a lot of dealers (I know 5 stores all around the globe that have it in stock) got their copy or two just recently after a long "drought" and only B&H lists it as discontinued - most others list it as back ordered. I got a hint from Leica Store Vienna (which is 100% Wetzlar owned) that it will very soon be coming to the end of the line though... ATM they do NOT list it as discontinued. This might be the right time to get it and grab the remaining pieces if anyone  planned to do it eventually.
Still absolutely sure no 2000 pieces were sold. My copy is 562xxxx and was bought in summer 2021.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Al Brown