M11 without baseplate: Do You really know, what this means?

elmars

1 hour ago, Herr Barnack said:

I give up.

I'm going to get a fake M11 with a removable baseplate that is made by Zorki.

A quite likely future development, where President Medvedev will uphold his youth's preferences with a state-sponsored Zorki series recreating old Leicas, including an artisanal S. 

Happy noidays!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by setuporg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, setuporg said:

A quite likely future development, where President Medvedev will uphold his youth's preferences with a state-sponsored Zorki series recreating old Leicas, including an artisanal S. 

Happy noidays!

Someone should tell him he can open his left eye now.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Someone should tell him he can open his left eye now.

Yes, Comrade @Ouroboros!

to discuss this topic of baseplate again from a bit more serious angle, i would like to mention that i had lost today for the first time ever a baseplate, the base of my M10-D, as i was playing with my little daughter in a sandpit.  now, lucky me, and truly by chance did my eyes move over something dark in the sand which turned out to be my baseplate - which i otherwise may have missed just hours later, at home perhaps.  needless to day that i have no clue how my baseplate had detached itself this afternoon...

now, thinking about the anyway somewhat questionable role of this baseplate on an M10, i would say that i preferred my future camera, hopefully an M11-D,  to come without any baseplate, as shown nowadays on leicarumors.  what doesn't exist, cannot get lost, right ?

Edited by fenykepesz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anybody thought about the repercussions of scratching the base of the camera? With a removable baseplate its simple to order a new one and fit it yourself. With a fixed base it requires a trip to Leica with associated costs. [Of course this assumes that a scratch bothers you - my baseplates are battered and it doesn't seem to affect the photos .....]

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, pgk said:

Has anybody thought about the repercussions of scratching the base of the camera? With a removable baseplate its simple to order a new one and fit it yourself. With a fixed base it requires a trip to Leica with associated costs. [Of course this assumes that a scratch bothers you - my baseplates are battered and it doesn't seem to affect the photos .....]

Hi Paul, the only thing that might give me pause on the fixed baseplate is what's rumoured to be 64mb's of internal memory instead of a SD card slot to safe space I guess..........But what happens when the internal memory has a hiccup, ( It is after all just a internal SD type of SSD memory storage ), if that fails or goes wonky would the camera have to be sent back to Wetzlar, NJ or wherever to be set to rights? 

But then it should all be ok, why would I worry?...........SD cards and SSD's never fail........... right?

Edited by petermullett

On 12/6/2021 at 10:47 AM, sebben said:

And to make matters worse: While changing batteries whilst using a tripod you won’t be forced to remove the tripod plate before you take off the baseplate. 😱

Efficiency will be the down fall of modern photography 

Umm.. instead of removing the camera from the tripod to open the baseplate, I normally just unlock the baseplate,  leave it on the tripod and take the camera body off.

7 hours ago, fenykepesz said:

to discuss this topic of baseplate again from a bit more serious angle, i would like to mention that i had lost today for the first time ever a baseplate, the base of my M10-D, as i was playing with my little daughter in a sandpit.  now, lucky me, and truly by chance did my eyes move over something dark in the sand which turned out to be my baseplate - which i otherwise may have missed just hours later, at home perhaps.  needless to day that i have no clue how my baseplate had detached itself this afternoon...

now, thinking about the anyway somewhat questionable role of this baseplate on an M10, i would say that i preferred my future camera, hopefully an M11-D,  to come without any baseplate, as shown nowadays on leicarumors.  what doesn't exist, cannot get lost, right ?

You would have lost your entire camera under the sand... :lol:

• Haha 2

On 12/8/2021 at 7:50 PM, SrMi said:

When do you use it on a tripod?

8 second exposure shots.

I've never been bothered by the baseplate and using a tripod. If in any doubt there is not enough power, just change the battery before mounting. If I used up a whole battery charge during one tripod session, I would probably start questioning my choices.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

Umm.. instead of removing the camera from the tripod to open the baseplate, I normally just unlock the baseplate,  leave it on the tripod and take the camera body off.

That's not possible as on the M10 the tripod plate screws into the body through the base plate. I guess not so many people use the M in the studio like I tend to do where a battery won't last that long with wireless tethering. And no, I don't want to own multiple camera systems.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sebben said:

That's not possible as on the M10 the tripod plate screws into the body through the base plate. I guess not so many people use the M in the studio like I tend to do where a battery won't last that long with wireless tethering. And no, I don't want to own multiple camera systems.

Just a thought - can't you just leave the baseplate off and tape a magnet to the camera?/

On 12/8/2021 at 10:10 PM, 250swb said:

The more people say they like the 'specialness' of a Leica M the more they applaud it becoming ordinary.

Yes! Make it with and EVF instead of the fragile old fashioned rangefinder, add in AF and use plastic for the body to make it cheaper. That will be a really 'special' M.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, earleygallery said:

Yes! Make it with and EVF instead of the fragile old fashioned rangefinder, add in AF and use plastic for the body to make it cheaper. That will be a really 'special' M.

Not forgetting to change the mount to Sony and add in AF. (😲😁).

vor 4 Stunden schrieb earleygallery:

Ugly enough? :) 

Edited by TeleElmar135mm

At least my M10 does not take any pictures without the baseplate.

But if the risk of losing the removable baseplate was the reason to omit it I think Leica should have come up with a more sophisticated solution. Such as sounding a loud siren when the baseplate drops off, regardless of whether the camera is on or off. Or even better, equipping the baseplate with a homing device so that you could easily find it in case it has dropped. This feature could in fact be extended to finding also other parts falling off, including lens front elements, hoods, accessory shoe covers, eyepiece rings etc.

Edited by mujk