M11 without baseplate: Do You really know, what this means?

elmars

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Somebody will get rich selling aftermarket plastic protection film for your mentioned baseplate.

Or aftermarket elephant hide baseplate protectors. 

You pay your $40,000 USD up front and then settle in for a two year wait to get an order confirmation email.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 3:48 PM, snz said:

No baseplate, such like the SL2/-S or Q2, is genius. Some of us actually use that M for some serious work and changing battery while the M is mounted on a tripod is a real pain in the ass. Also ever tried the battery release of the SL2/-S or Q2? It's super reliable and fast. I don't get why you won't want that in your next M.

Maybe some of us don't do super serious important stuff like you?    

Battery never runs out on my m262 anyway.

7 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

Maybe some of us don't do super serious important stuff like you?    

Battery never runs out on my m262 anyway.

Yeah but no baseplate is still the better design hands down even you if take out your M just for a few occasional shots. Everyone wins 

Edited by snz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I love it that the Leica M is become more of a consumable product to eventually become indistinguishable like all cameras with a back door. Lol. Who cares about quirks we just want homogeneous no frills cameras with an expensive pricetag 😂

Edited by cboy
  • Like 3

I'm all for removing the baseplate from the M design because of how poorly it was implemented in the first place.  There should have been a menu option "allow shutter to fire with baseplate removed" so that if you lost the baseplate, you could still use the camera.  I've never heard a story of anyone missing a shot because they lost the baseplate on a shoot, but it always bothered me that the camera didn't have the option to fire without the baseplate.  I know you can put a magnet somewhere to make it fire...but who's walking around with magnets all day?  So because Leica refuses to implement the baseplate in logical way, I'd rather be without it.

To me it’s an unfortunate direction and moves it further away from one of its iconic elements. In practical terms it also means that I’ll need to shell out another $250+ apiece x6 for new batteries 😞  Hopefully they added an adjustable diopter (which would be a real practical improvement for optical focusing) or at least allow me to use the M10 diopters in the M11…..otherwise another $150 for a new diopter too.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jakontil said:

I wish they’d still keep the baseplate… or may be it would make a come back in m12 gen

I'm sure it'll make a resurgence eventually just like they revived some lenses... probably a classics line for the old school folk like myself. 

It would be funny if baseplates for the M9/M10 became collectibles in 10 years time ahah

That being said, I do like the baseplate, never bothered me having to remove it whenever I wanna get the SD card out…that happens like once a day when I go shooting. But I understand that some shooters use the M for more professional work so this will be a welcome addition for them. 

There is something oddly satisfying with the baseplate.  It's one of those things that just feels right based on using film M's for so long.  Speaking of which, even professionals seemed to manage the indignity of baseplate removal for film changes while still satisfying their professional obligations.

In any case, the lack of a baseplate certainly wouldn't put me off of the camera.  Sorry to see it go though.