Fogg Last Waltz: The Leica M of camera bags

Herr Barnack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/15/2021 at 8:11 PM, yeatts said:

Well the Last Waltz arrived today and....well, it may be the best bag in the Fogg lineup...

That's my take on the Last Waltz - to my eye, it is the most beautiful of the Fogg bags.  I think of it as the flagship of the Fogg lineup.  It's pretty well perfect for a day to day carry bag.

The B Major looks like an interesting option for when you need to bring everything but the kitchen sink.

Edited by Herr Barnack

It sounds like the Last Waltz and B-Sharp have similar capacities, but the B-Sharp is bigger due to thicker foam padding (7mm vs. 4mm).  So the B-Sharp has the advantage of protection while the Last Waltz is trimmer and hugs closer to the body.  Despite their size similarities, the two bags are quite different in terms of design and construction, from what I understand.

What makes a LEGEND?  Leica lens cleaning clothes. 😊

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Haha 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/12/2021 at 11:57 PM, Herr Barnack said:

The Last Waltz is a nice size if you are looking for a daily carry bag - it's not so large as to be cumbersome.  It can carry more than just one camera and a lens, though.  You could load it down with 2 M cameras and 4 M lenses, but the weight would take all the fun out of carrying the Last Waltz. 

Larger loads of gear still demand a backpack type camera bag for most of us.

You don’t seem to care about weight. Starting with nearly 1kg and then adding a few summiluxes, poohhh, not my cup of tea.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, otto.f said:

You don’t seem to care about weight. Starting with nearly 1kg and then adding a few summiluxes, poohhh, not my cup of tea.

The gear I carry determines which bag I use. 

You could load it down with 2 M cameras and 4 M lenses, but the weight would take all the fun out of carrying the Last Waltz. 

Larger loads of gear still demand a backpack type camera bag for most of us.

The only time I carry multiple camera bodies and multiple lenses is when I'm traveling, and then I am always carrying my kit in a backpack type camera bag.

My day to day carry is either a Q2 and an extra battery or an M10M and an extra battery, in a messenger type camera bag.  Neither kit is a nuisance in terms of weight.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/22/2021 at 4:39 PM, Herr Barnack said:

That's my take on the Last Waltz - to my eye, it is the most beautiful of the Fogg bags.  I think of it as the flagship of the Fogg lineup.  It's pretty well perfect for a day to day carry bag.

The B Major looks like an interesting option for when you need to bring everything but the kitchen sink.

Just found this thread, and pulled out my Last Waltz #18 made in 2016 when they are a good bite more reasonable :)

I forgot how much I loved this bag, and have to agree it is the most beautiful of the Foggs. I've owned a half dozen over the years dating back to the 90's

Looks like they have made quite a few upgrades to The Last Waltz since mine was made. Mine has a smooth bottom without the added strips and the shoulder pad is a different design. It also has a single long flap over the front two pouches instead of two flaps. This will make a nice home for my new M11.

• Like 1

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
31 minutes ago, TheEyesHaveIt said:

Is the Flute still a good choice for a single M body with lens attached for a daily "always take your camera" type of bag? I find most camera slings are too big (and look too much like tech bags). But most flight / crossbody bags don't have enough depth for an M body with lens attached.

I no longer have the Flute, but it was OK for a M and one lens - I used it for the M240 and, say, the Summilux-35 FLE or Elmarit-M 28 Asph.

Note that older versions of the Flute are a slightly different size - smaller, I think - you see old ones on ebay sometimes.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

To transport the camera, lenses and notebook while travelling I still use my Thinktank Retrospective.

Having arrived I carry the camera and one lens in a Fogg Flute or Soprano. Use the Soprano more often as it holds a smaller lens and the M10 with one lens or just the M10 with Telyt 135. Comfortable and light.

Edited by stephan54

28 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Note that older versions of the Flute are a slightly different size - smaller, I think - you see old ones on ebay sometimes.

Yes, many of the older Fogg bags have increased in size since the earlier film days, to accommodate somewhat larger lenses and, until the M10, larger digital bodies.  Prices were far less then, too, as I mentioned when this thread started last year (post #14).

I use an old Fogg Lyre as my small bag option.

Jeff

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I no longer have the Flute, but it was OK for a M and one lens - I used it for the M240 and, say, the Summilux-35 FLE or Elmarit-M 28 Asph.

That's the combo I would be carrying (except with an M11). I've never had a pouch bag before - wondering if it is something I would take out more often when I'm not going out for photography specifically. Or would it be better to just stick with a traditional camera sling or shoulder bag (like an Ona Bowery) for planned walkabouts.

What are you using these days? The new Fogg prices are pretty steep.

9 hours ago, TheEyesHaveIt said:

That's the combo I would be carrying (except with an M11). I've never had a pouch bag before - wondering if it is something I would take out more often when I'm not going out for photography specifically. Or would it be better to just stick with a traditional camera sling or shoulder bag (like an Ona Bowery) for planned walkabouts.

What are you using these days? The new Fogg prices are pretty steep.

I have a Soprano now, which replaced the Flute to enable me to carry a CL with the Summilux-TL 35 or Elmarit-TL 60. At that stage I had sold the M240. I have now sold the CL in favour of a Q2, for which the Soprano is a bit big. As I now have a M4 I could use a Flute again. Hey ho!

I also have a b-minor (camera + two lenses) and b-major (SL2-S + the two big zooms, or small camera and guide book/water bottle).

• Like 1

I have three Fogg bags - bought a few years back, but within a year of each other.  That was back in the day when I thought it was important to have the 'statement' bags to match the statement Leicas make.... now that I've matured..  I carry my MP in a bag that came with the Pentax P30T 35mm slr camera.  It is cheap looking, non descript,  does not attract attention.

All my Fogg bag have aged poorly.  They have not been used much but the colours have faded, and not evenly.  The leather fastening strips have become loose, floppy and insecure.  The linen liners have become stained from contact with the darker outer skin of the bags where they come into contact.  Even though they have never been wet.  These are all things that I would be disappointed about if they were cheap bags, but these are anything but!

If you want expensive, and quality, I find the German Oberwerths to be much better.  I have one because a certain infamous camera website owner offered it up at a price to good to refuse!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TheEyesHaveIt said:

Is the Flute still a good choice for a single M body with lens attached

The Flute works fine with a M body and lens - it was designed for M9 plus Summilux. Since the Flute was launched, Billingham also now makes a single camera  / lens bag you might consider.

My Flute with M2 only because latter was handy!

Edited by pedaes
  • Like 2

As I've looked into Fogg more, the main worry I have is it is run by a single person now (his partner passed away recently). So in terms of long term support / repair for the bag, there's quite a limited window. Billingham has been in business for over 50 years and seems like it'll be continuing to exist well into the future.