24mm Elmarit 2.8 ASPH and vignetting

bdolzani

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've had this lens for over a year, and used it a lot recently in the bright San Diego sun over break. It was the most vignetting I have experienced, I was thinking perhaps it was because of the very bright sun at certain angles. 

However it also vignetted at night. See both photos. Any thoughts? I can lust over the 24mm Summilux - would there be a great improvement if I don't *really* need 1.4? 

(the vignette is even more obvious in the color version of the daytime photo...)

PS I'm also not sure how or if you can eliminate the vignetting in Lightroom. I have the lens profile enabled and it doesn't eliminate it. 

PPS I am using the original hood.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by bdolzani

I do not have the 24 mm, but I do have the 21 mm. The vignetting you show is not normal and looks like some kind of outside interference, rather than a feature of the optical unit. Did you buy the lens new (unlikely unless it as old stock)? If not, any idea of previous history of the lens? It is rather late to refer back to the vendor, but the lens might need servicing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, happymac said:

Seems to be the wrong lens hood…

and @Sailronin.... it's the 12592, 'A58'. I know it's a 55mm thread...wow maybe it's the wrong one?! 

I bought it from Blue Moon Camera, a reputable shop I believe. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

For me one of these can explain :

too thick filter or not adapted hood, or adapted hood not pushing to lock in.

Perhaps it got moved in my bag...but it's locked in now, and I feel it was at the time.

Thank you all, great observations. I'm about to look up the lens/hood original combo.

vor einer Stunde schrieb bdolzani:

I've had this lens for over a year, and used it a lot recently in the bright San Diego sun over break. It was the most vignetting I have experienced, I was thinking perhaps it was because of the very bright sun at certain angles. 

However it also vignetted at night. See both photos. Any thoughts? I can lust over the 24mm Summilux - would there be a great improvement if I don't *really* need 1.4? 

(the vignette is even more obvious in the color version of the daytime photo...)

PS I'm also not sure how or if you can eliminate the vignetting in Lightroom. I have the lens profile enabled and it doesn't eliminate it. 

PPS I am using the original hood.

I have used this lens for many years and tell you definitely this is not the lens but something else; a wrong hood probably. 

• Like 1

Hmm maybe I just ditch the hood...but I'm quite curious if it's mismatched. I should go out now while it's sunny and shoot without it and see what I get.

12592 is the right hood,

needing to push and lock so it would not turn.

In doubt, grab the two tabs, push in, release the tab, try to turn the hood.

Ok it is in fact the right hood...(thank you)

https://www.edouardschneiders.com/review/leica-24mm-f-2-8-elmarit-m

And I really really do believe it was locked. It's locked now, and I can tell it wouldn't get easily unlocked in my small bag (it was on the camera the whole trip).

I will still take it outside and experiment. 

M has LV.

You can use liveview inside with a white wall (or whatever white ! ).

Try to unlock the hood push forward, you will see.

I'll try that too...I wasn't sure if actual sunlight made a difference, perhaps causing more vignetting than an interior light. 

I bought that lens "new" (grey market) back when I could afford new Leica equipment (and the dollar to mark exchange rate was good, I think this was pre-Euro, or maybe right after the Euro was introduced and it briefly tanked against the dollar). Anyway, I've always used the hood that came with it, and here's a shot that conveniently has a fairly even surface on the bottom that shows some corner falloff, but no vignetting:

That was taken with my M6TTL, inside the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, at a video exhibit, back in 2012. Camera on the floor, wide open, guessed the exposure to be 12 seconds, Ektar 100 film. I guessed pretty close!

• Like 1

Quick test into the sky and no vignetting either with or without the hood. Strange. I should say that not every photo from the trip was vignetted, only some...which made it seem to me like it was just perhaps certain light with this lens.

I don't usually review my shots after taking them, which I could have then noticed the heavy vignetting.

I'll just have to work more with the lens and see.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 3:08 AM, Stein K S said:

Most has been stated here. I have this lens and no problems with vignetting. Definitely right hood… same hood was also supplied with my 21mm Elmarit asph. I also use a rather ¨fat¨ Leica filter.

good luck

Thanks I'll just keep working with it a while with more attention. Did a bunch of test shots into and around the sun yesterday as well as a white wall and seemingly no problems. 

Funny thing is that I tried to pull the hood halfway off, so it wasn't locked in, and it falls off quite easily. I think if it were not locked in on my hike and shooting all day it would've literally fallen off. 

My first thought was that shooting in such open skies with bright sun made it vignette - I don't usually shoot in those conditions.