6 Months with a S007

ImmerDraussen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have used the S2, S006 and S007. Stillown the 6 and 7, today I use more the SL system because of smaller size, more reliable af and flexibility.

for me the S007 faster speed, better high iso and better dynamic range make me prefering it over the S006. Maybe S006 color are slightly ahead, but S007 colors are very good as well. inhave tested the S 3 , but the color difference was so minor and I didnt need the resolution, so for me then S007 is the coice of S bodies.

I would say color and tonality of the S system is ahead of the SL system. But the Sl2 sensor and lenses are very good as well. Imo the sl 50/1.4 isnthe lens which renders closest to the S lenses.

• Like 1

I will feel very hesitate to recommend S system to anyone unless I know for sure such a person's preference, expectation or priority. Most will find the idea of own S exciting but only found out disappointing after using it if expectation did not align well with reality. For example, single AF point, super slow, noisy and not reliable AF, huge and heavy. Zoom glass is huge with slow speed for OVF viewing. tele lens is hard to use without tripod. Sensor difference in both resolution and DR will be small comparing to latest FF offers. You dont pay S price for sensor performance I would say unless you have niche requirement for CCD which none of other offer these days. 

Having said that, if appreciate what is really shine with S system, then none remotely approach it.  Incredible S glasses house rendering, superb 'analog' color, splendid OVF viewing, down to earth simple control with very limited features without bell and whistle distracting you in field.  No need for upgrade for next 10 years or so as this is the pinnacle of OVF shooting experience. :)

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ZHNL said:

You dont pay S price for sensor performance I would say unless you have niche requirement for CCD which none of other offer these days. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but nobody (including Leica) offers a CCD sensor any more. You have to shop the second-hand, demo or NOS market for that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pieter12 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but nobody (including Leica) offers a CCD sensor any more. You have to shop the second-hand, demo or NOS market for that.

No, you are not wrong. CCD become history now. However, I believe most potential S customers will be more likely to buying used or 2nd hand. No that S dosent worth the price but mis balance of supply and demand results very attractive 2nd hand price on S gears. 

for people don’t appreciate S’s offer, they are still not inexpensive compare to modern FF gear. For people do, this is one of best bargain in Leica land. 

On 1/8/2022 at 10:33 AM, helged said:

Not being David, but nevertheless.... To (subjectively) evaluate eg SL2 and S007 one needs to consider all parts of the image 'chain', from sensor to optics and whatever goes on in between. Using S006 and S3 (haven't used S007), and the various incarnations of SL, I prefer the S-files. The SL lenses are outstandingly good and bitingly sharp, but I (subjectively) prefer the rendering of the S-system. The S-files are defenitely more malleable than the SL-files (up to ISO400 for S006, at all ISOs for S3).

These are my thoughts exactly.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2022 at 10:20 AM, Sanji said:

Hi David. Is the resolution image quality of the SL2 better than the S007? I’ve heard the opposite. Care to share some images or thoughts?

So, being David,  ( LOL @helged), First the image resolution, or the sensor size, of the S007 is 37mb and the SL2-S is 24mb, so the S007 wins, also because the ratio of the sensor (30x45 and 24x36)(meaning no cropping to compare, the sensors produce the same ratio).  In terms of image quality, that is so subjective, so I’ll give you my opinion. The colors of the images are based on the sensor interpretation and the light through the lens. I’ve shot some of the best R lenses through the SL2-S including the APO 90 ‘cron, the APO 70-180, the 80 ‘lux and 50 ‘cron.  The colors through these lenses tend to be a little more saturated than SL lenses (IMHO).  I have also used the APO SL 35 and 50 ‘crons on that body.  The images are very good and the color depth is indeed a full stop or more better than the SL2.

However, the sensor has not been tuned in the same way as the S007.  I compare the R lenses to S lenses frequently because they are made to look through, not post process like an SL lens.  The optical viewfinders of the R and S series require it.  That said, the colors can be edited between the SL2-S and the S007 to look the same.  The S007 takes much less work (IMHO).  More importantly, I believe the S007 gains at least a stop over the SL2-S (and two or so over the SL2).

In my experience the S007 files are very flexible in highlights and shadows, and more so than the SL system.  That is in part because of the tuning of the sensor and the dynamic range it captures.  It’s also evident in the price.  Three times the price means something is different in the image quality from the system.

My photography is mostly landscape, which the S is suited to.  For vacations, groups of people moving, etc. The SL system is well suited.  I just took the SL2-S to Venice in the fall and then Paris and it performed outstandingly for a walkabout and with both SL and R lenses got some great shots.  Different uses.

Hope that helps!

Edited by davidmknoble
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1