6 Months with a S007

ImmerDraussen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I entered the S007 camp this year in May. I thought, I could share my experience. I don´t think those having a S already will be surprised, but maybe there is somebody around who is in a similar situation as me in May.

My focus is landscape and travel. My "digital" career started with the modul for the R8. When Leica announced to stop this line, I was heavily disappointed and walked away to Canon. When Pentax launched the 645Z, I could not withstand.

Over a period of time, the Pentax became my reference for picture quality and the Canon for speed. 

Later the SL601 came up, and I returned to Leica, because I still had the R-lenses. But even with native 24-90 and 90-280 zoom, it did not beat the results of the Pentax/Canon combo. Investing into a S1R did not change this.
The reasons are not so much technical, it´s me. I do not enjoy to use an EVF outside.

Long story short, this spring a lot S equipment could be found with full 2 years warranty for an attractive price. (GAS?). I emptied my account.
I do not regret this at all and the S007 blows away the Pentax in many respects. Here are my findings:

Good items:

• Picture quality. Even people not interested in photography seeing picture on 27inch IMac ask was is going on here.
  • The view finder is a reason alone to buy this camera. Manual focus on the screen is easy.
  • The shape feels as if it was made for my hands (I´ve read this a couple of times)
  • The battery is full, if want to use the camera (the SL range can drive me crazy some times)
  • The autofocus is precise (better than Canon and Pentax)
  • Set exposure to -2 and still the viewfinder is bright. Hey, try this with the SL (EVF).

Items that are okay:

• One autofocus point is enough. I´ve put the camera on manual, start the autofocus with the joystick and than compose the picture.
  • Autofocus speed. Will use the Canon, if I need speed
  • Lens range
  • No IS, but the number of lost pictures is low

Not so good:

• Dust on the sensor. Never had a camera like this
  • Sometimes, I miss the tilted screen of the Pentax.
  • The way the ISO is changed. With all other cameras, I can do this while looking through viewfinder. The problem is that the adjustment is not shown in the viewfinder until you confirm the setting (any work around?)
  • After checking the picture in play back, you can not return to shooting by pressing the focus buttom. You have to touch the release buttom first. But I´m getting better not to forget this.

All in all, a pretty perfect camera for me. The Pentax sits on the shelf since I have the S.

Andreas

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

I agree in most points except AF. I feel AF-accurancy is the weakest point of the S-Line. AF point seems quite large and gets "fooled" too often.

The IQ is still perfect for my eyes, so much detail, not clinical at all, rich colors and tonality and smooth bokeh. Also the lenses shine even wide open.

• Like 2

Hi Tom, 
maybe I should have been a bit more specific.
I'm talking about situations in which neither I nor the subject move. Cameras with an EVF like the SL range are fast and 100% reliable (I think like any other camera with an EVF).

The Canons are quick, but not very accurate. The workaround is to take 5 exposures. At least one is on spot. The Pentax is also struggling with its legacy lenses, which can show a focus shift when stopping down. This is where the rear LCD helps. Tilted to 90 °, I use the 645Z like an old 6 * 6 Rollei.

As I said, sometimes I miss this function at S. Compared to these two cameras, I didn't experience any problems with the S007.

I think I was lucky to get a perfectly adjusted camera.

Andreas

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm a lurker, not an S user (almost only film), but to my eye, the Leica S produces the finest digital images that have ever been produced. The current Hassy and Sigma Foveon photos are terrific, but, even with them, the gap to S photos is noticeable. 

• Like 1

vor 11 Stunden schrieb Jeff S:

Hope you’re printing and not just displaying online.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

normally, I do not go public with my pictures. They are just used to support my memory and to tell a story to my friends when I come back from a trip.

This audience is not commenting  the technical quality of the picture. In case of the „S“, this is different.

Posting pictures is a new experience, but I feel some other pictures shown here are made for to same reason. I like that.

Andreas

• Like 2

Andreas, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Your experience with the S 007 pretty much corresponds to mine. I am using the S 007 mostly as a, albeit heavy, travel camera with one lens, the Vario 30-90. Very versatile and mostly excellent results. Not perfect though, but hard to beat. Briefly used the S 006 before that, and the S 007 feels more refined to me.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ImmerDraussen said:

Hi Pascal,

are you happy with the performance of the 30-90mm? I read some mixed messages about this lens, but it could be perfect for days with just one body and one lens.

Andreas

P. S.:Do you still use the Rollei 6008?

I had to send mine to Leica to get it fixed as it was decentered. They did an excellent job of it, however, and it's now pretty much permanently on my 007. Yes, it's large and heavy, but it's several lenses in one and therefore no lens changes are required. The quality is pretty much  up there (85%?) with the primes - it's just not as fast (f stop-wise) as those dedicated lenses. 

I also take photos to make paintings from so I take a shot at 30mm and then zoom in to 90mm to make a montage of detail shots; I walk away with an equivalent image of around 350MP's. I guess one could do that and Photoshop the images together to get a massive single image.  

Edited by Sarnian
  • Like 3

On 12/19/2021 at 6:33 AM, ImmerDraussen said:

Hi Pascal,

are you happy with the performance of the 30-90mm? I read some mixed messages about this lens, but it could be perfect for days with just one body and one lens.

Andreas

P. S.:Do you still use the Rollei 6008?

The Vario 30-90's main advantage is of course its versatility, being a "one lens that does most" sort of tool. Its performance does not, however, correspond to fixed focal length lenses especially on the higher end. I have made some comparison shots with the 70mm lens and the differences could be seen, especially in the field. As always, zoom lenses represent a trade-off. For me, I like that I do not have to change lenses all the time (not a small issue given the proneness of dust on the sensor and the difficulty to clean the camera). The biggest downsides of the Vario are of course size and weigth, as well as the darker viewfinder image it can present given the modest (and changing) maximum aperture. The alternative solution could be the S + 70mm, if you are happy with a "standard angle" lens. Smaller, lighter, and even better optically.

The Rolleiflex Hy6 and 6008 are still used now and then, but quite less often than earlier. The size and bulk are sometimes a bit of an issue when packing light.

• Like 2

vor 12 Stunden schrieb leicapages:

The Vario 30-90's main advantage is of course its versatility, being a "one lens that does most" sort of tool. Its performance does not, however, correspond to fixed focal length lenses especially on the higher end. I have made some comparison shots with the 70mm lens and the differences could be seen, especially in the field. As always, zoom lenses represent a trade-off. For me, I like that I do not have to change lenses all the time (not a small issue given the proneness of dust on the sensor and the difficulty to clean the camera). The biggest downsides of the Vario are of course size and weigth, as well as the darker viewfinder image it can present given the modest (and changing) maximum aperture. The alternative solution could be the S + 70mm, if you are happy with a "standard angle" lens. Smaller, lighter, and even better optically.

The Rolleiflex Hy6 and 6008 are still used now and then, but quite less often than earlier. The size and bulk are sometimes a bit of an issue when packing light.

Hi Pascal,

thanks for your comments. This was helpful.
today, I either take the 70mm in a small bag or the 35mm + 120mm combination. Both is accetable in respect of weight. I will stay with this and keep my money.

Andreas

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2021 at 3:22 PM, chriscove said:

Thanks for this. I have been thinking of a 007 for a while. Trying to decide between an SL2 and 007. Which lenses do you have?

I have the S007 and the SL2 and SL2-S.  If you are looking for dynamic rage, the SL2-S is better, if you are looking for resolution, the SL2 is better.  However, the dynamic range of the S007 still beats them both.

• Like 4

On 1/5/2022 at 3:04 AM, davidmknoble said:

I have the S007 and the SL2 and SL2-S.  If you are looking for dynamic rage, the SL2-S is better, if you are looking for resolution, the SL2 is better.  However, the dynamic range of the S007 still beats them both.

How do the colours compare between those sensors?  I have just been through the S images thread and the colours from all (S-E, 006, 007 and 3) are excellent, but I cannot tell what is due to the sensor and what is due to  skilful editing.  Interested because second hand 006 and 007 cameras are now actually just about affordable. 

Totally Subjective Evaluation:

Note: these are all very close. I liked the S(006) best, but it was my first S and I was deeply in love. I only upgraded to the S(007) because someone dropped my camera bag to a concrete floor from too high up and it needed $3500 repair. Instead, Leica offered me a (very) good upgrade price, so... The technological advance of the 007 - especially magnified live view - made it a more useful camera, but I missed the OVF-only use of the 006, and the colors were *slightly* less enthralling. I needed a lighter system for a while, so ended up with the GFX 100. Grew tired of it after a year and thought "I still have the S(007) and all the lenses, and the S3 resolution isn't a huge step down (GFX 100 was, for the first time in my life, MORE pixels than I wanted), and the trade-in deal.. blah, blah. Surprisingly, the S3 colors are closer to the S(006). I am VERY happy with this body and miss IBIS much less than I thought I would.

Skillful color editing has little to do with it, although, with work, one can get close resemblance. I'm just spoiled by the big smile right OOC (and with a Leica or Cobalt profile).

Edited by mgrayson3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, mgrayson3 said:

Totally Subjective Evaluation:

Note: these are all very close. I liked the S(006) best, but it was my first S and I was deeply in love. I only upgraded to the S(007) because someone dropped my camera bag to a concrete floor from too high up and it needed $3500 repair. Instead, Leica offered me a (very) good upgrade price, so... The technological advance of the 007 - especially magnified live view - made it a more useful camera, but I missed the OVF-only use of the 006, and the colors were *slightly* less enthralling. I needed a lighter system for a while, so ended up with the GFX 100. Grew tired of it after a year and thought "I still have the S(007) and all the lenses, and the S3 resolution isn't a huge step down (GFX 100 was, for the first time in my life, MORE pixels than I wanted), and the trade-in deal.. blah, blah. Surprisingly, the S3 colors are closer to the S(006). I am VERY happy with this body and miss IBIS much less than I thought I would.

Skillful color editing has little to do with it, although, with work, one can get close resemblance. I'm just spoiled by the big smile right OOC (and with a Leica or Cobalt profile).

+1 & thumbs up for the Cobalt profile(s)! The Adobe Leica S3 profile may or may not work for me, so no definite love affair there... (I use Lightroom/Photoshop; Capture One might be different regarding profiles).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Eclectic Man said:

How do the colours compare between those sensors?  I have just been through the S images thread and the colours from all (S-E, 006, 007 and 3) are excellent, but I cannot tell what is due to the sensor and what is due to  skilful editing.  Interested because second hand 006 and 007 cameras are now actually just about affordable. 

I think the colors in the SL2-S and the S6/7 are comparable. But that is the raw data in the DNG. Post editing can make or break the image. However, the S007 has more dynamic range, period.  I have compared the SL, SL2, SL2-S and S007 all at the same coastal location and I get better shadow ranges when photographing sunrises with the S007 if I expose not to blow the highlights.  The SL2-S has the best detail in the white parts of the ocean of all the SL’s, but the S007 beats it.  IMHO.

On 1/4/2022 at 7:04 PM, davidmknoble said:

Hi David. Is the resolution image quality of the SL2 better than the S007? I’ve heard the opposite. Care to share some images or thoughts?

1 hour ago, Sanji said:

Hi David. Is the resolution image quality of the SL2 better than the S007? I’ve heard the opposite. Care to share some images or thoughts?

Not being David, but nevertheless.... To (subjectively) evaluate eg SL2 and S007 one needs to consider all parts of the image 'chain', from sensor to optics and whatever goes on in between. Using S006 and S3 (haven't used S007), and the various incarnations of SL, I prefer the S-files. The SL lenses are outstandingly good and bitingly sharp, but I (subjectively) prefer the rendering of the S-system. The S-files are defenitely more malleable than the SL-files (up to ISO400 for S006, at all ISOs for S3).

• Like 5