Recommend Sigma L Mount lens for Portraits

rollsman4

I also love the SL.

I use a sigma 35mm f1.4 DG HSM for use indoors where there is not a lot of room.  A bit wide and you need to watch for distortion but great rendering.

I also use manual M Glass, and my favourite is the TTArtisan 90mm f1.25.

I use the 50/75/90 summicrons on the M9M and M10P

Right now I've been using the Sigma 105 f/2.8. I included a picture of my son fishing at f/8, so you can't really see the bokeh but it is nice wide open. All my Sigma lenses are fantastic on the SL2. I watched a video the other night on youtube by Christopher Frost where he was comparing 85mm lenses by various manufacturers (not L mount). The Sigma 85mm F1.4 was highly recommended.   

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

For environmental portrait and some closeups I can recommend the 35mm f/1.2 DG DN.  Both image3s below at f/1.2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

In my opinion, only a side-by-side comparison with a subject in the picture and some dimensional space behind the person allows for an informed decision. Best would be to have some strong backlight as well. Everything else is hearsay. 

I’m sure Sigma knows how to make sharp glass. But does the character suits your taste? I’d rent/borrow, shoot portraits and then decide. And I’d start for portraits with 50mm because that resembles quite nicely how we humans perceive space and our contemporaries’ faces.

Personally, I think that manual vintage 50ies have more potential for moody portraits than super sharp modern glass. Especially with the SL, there are tons of choices available, and some of them won’t lose value over time. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dr. G said:

Although it’s really big, the 105 1.4 produces stunning images.  The one downside is you can’t really use it when the sun is behind your subject.  

I’d second this. One of the few non-Leica lenses that gets serious time mounted to my SL bodies.