Leica 21mm f2.8 Elmarit E60 vs. Voigtlander 21mm Color Skopar F3.5 Aspherical

AllNoAll

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica 21mm f2.8 Elmarit E60 vs. Voigtlander 21mm Color Skopar F3.5 Aspherical 

I just purchased the Voigtlander $680, with the $100 lens hood, and e39 orange filter $40, and the Voigtlander 21mm external viewfinder $130, which totals just under $1000. All new. For between $1200 and $1600 it looks like I could have  gotten the non-aspherical Leica 21mm Elmarit f2.8 E60 lens used. I think I made the right choice, but $1000 would go a long way toward the purchase of the Leica lens. Thoughts?

The Voigtlander is a 21st century design with aspherical elements, a really good coating and it's small enough not to block much of the viewfinder when focusing. The 2.8 Elmarit was designed in the 1970s', hasn't been produced for years, has a huge filter size and a hood that snaps on instead  of screws on. I've had the 4.0 21 Color Skopar in both LTM and M mount versions and have been very happy with them. Also, one set of filters fit my 21, 35 and 50. Look around for some images taken with the Voigtlander, you won't be disappointed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madNbad said:

The Voigtlander is a 21st century design with aspherical elements, a really good coating and it's small enough not to block much of the viewfinder when focusing. The 2.8 Elmarit was designed in the 1970s', hasn't been produced for years, has a huge filter size and a hood that snaps on instead  of screws on. I've had the 4.0 21 Color Skopar in both LTM and M mount versions and have been very happy with them. Also, one set of filters fit my 21, 35 and 50. Look around for some images taken with the Voigtlander, you won't be disappointed. 

That’s what I was thinking! I wish I could afford the modern Super Elmar, but I’m sure I will love this lens until that day!

• Thanks 1

1) I love the E60 21mm - first M lens I bought (2001) and last I would give up. My particular need is Mandler color rendering and gentle contrast, so really there is no competition, for me.

2) BUT - remember that once you pay for the lens, you STILL need a 21mm viewfinder ($$$), and

3) if you are shooting on color digital Ms, the 21mm E60 really needs to have the 6-bit coding to avoid nasty color "stains" around the edges of the picture (long optical explanation omitted). So make sure it has the coding - or expect to pay $300+ additional to get it installed by Leica. (I got my 21mm E60 coded the instant the Leica M8 came out in 2008).

That doesn't apply to digital Monochrom, or film cameras with color or B&W film, however. And I have no idea of whether the C/V 21 will have similar color-stain problems on digital (the earlier C/V 21mm f/4.0, or Zeiss 21mm f/4.5, did have major problems that way - but that was a decade ago).

The current C/V lenses are excellent (I use their 75 f/1.5 and 35 f/1.4 right alongside my 1983 21mm E60 - they are all brilliant together), so I suspect you are not missing much with your 21, unless you have the same "Mandler fetish" as me. ;)

• Like 1

I have a 1990 21mm E60 without coding in use with a M10-D, but I cannot confirm the color stains in the edges/corners as you mention above. Could this be a matter of a faulty lens adjustment in your case? Anyhow, the 21mm Elmarit is a great lens and I should use it more frequently.

Edited by AndreasG
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No - more likely the new microlenses added with the CMOS sensors. Which is good to know.

However, it also depends on the subject - shoot a field full of white snow backed by gray sky, corner to corner, and the color stains may be far more obvious than with a subject full of different colors anyway.

Believe me, as someone who has learned his living off his photo skills since 1977, I use - and know - and check - my tools of the trade daily. "Faulty lens adjustment" my Ars Aunt Peg! ;)

• Like 1

Am 3.12.2021 um 01:08 schrieb AllNoAll:

That’s what I was thinking! I wish I could afford the modern Super Elmar, but I’m sure I will love this lens until that day!

I switched from Super Elmar 3.4 21 to Skopar 3.5 21mm.
Smaller, lighter and BQ on the same level; I thought, but I'll never regretted it.
Stop "dreaming" ;)

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Artin said:

I had the 21 mm CV f4 was not impressed with the IQ at all, I picked up a new 21mm CV1.4 asph. Which I have to test and then in about 3 days later I came across a 21 mm pre asph E60 for a very attractive price just 850 dollars US. So I grabbed that one as well. I will take some pictures soon and test them out.

The CV 21 1.4 asph  looks very promising 

The Color Skopar f4 and the Color Skopar f3.5 are completely different lenses. The image quality of the f3.5 is not comparable to the f4. 

As said by cp995 the f3.5 is basically on par with what Leica offers new today while being smaller and cheaper.  That said, I still bought the Super Elmar just because of the design of the lens, most would call this a stupid decision. But its not always just about IQ.

I still would always recommend the Voigtländer lens about the Leica. Its cheaper, smaller, with the same ( maybe better ) IQ while offering the same ( on some parts better ) build quality.

Edited by Kriehuber
  • Like 3