UV filter

RWood

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm sure that this has probably been covered before but I recently purchased a Leica Q2. The first video that I watched on YouTube said that a UV filter would protect my lens and would not effect picture quality. So I purchased the Leica UV filter.

Now I see that others think it effects quality. I was wondering if I could ask what the opinion of some of you are.

Quality is most important to me. 

Thank you 

Robert a newbie 

• Like 1

The eternal debate - theoretically there is image degradation, especially towards the corners, but in real life it is so minimal that this will never have any impact on your photograph.
Another thing is flare and reflections. Remove the filter with strong contre-jour light and at night with lights points in the image.
Buy the best filter you can afford. Leica filters are good, but certainly not the best.  Nor are UV filters really intended to protect (although they do) but to umm... filter out UV light, which is unnecessary in normal conditions . The Nano-coated protective filters by B+W and Heliopan are the market leaders. The 007 Pro and Protective are made of ultra-strong and very thin (for even less aberrations) glass and the Nano-coating is very effective and very easy to keep clean.
Dirt on your filter will certainly degrade your image.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm new to Leica but as with other cameras, I purchased the B+W nano UV not for the filtering effect that once was a minor issue in film days but for lens protection from dust and splash. I think that even with today's sensors replacing emulsion, this filter will reduce some haze in distance snaps. I went with B+W hoping to reduce to insignificant any image degradation. 

I agree with any filter, even this, causing light reflection errors but it's obvious if it happens and then the filter comes off. 

My goal is to never have to do more than blow dust off of this lens's front element. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I have B&H UV's on all my lenses.  But I am an old geezer who started with a Vito II and Plus X I rolled myself.  Old habits die hard.  I see one fellow says that a UV and lens hood can eliminate a UV filter for lens protection.  Maybe for him.  That only has to fail once to ruin my whole day.  It never has happened, true.  My house hasn't burned down yet, either, but I still insure it.  I try to expose myself to as little risk as possible.  As always, YMMV.  And I just ordered another B&H 40.5mm UV.  This time for a pretty good old Jupiter 11.

• 1 month later...

like these on everything

I'm an old geezer too

some lens manufacturers require some kind of filter mounted, for water infiltration prevention 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by timplog
new thought
  • Like 1