M10-D focus peaking?

IkarusJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I must be having a senior moment.

I’ve been using my M10-D with the OVF almost exclusively.  The other day (to test my 28 Summilux), I used the EVF and I seem to have completely forgotten how it works.  For a start, the EVF does switch on automatically - I have to detrach it and re-attach it to make it work; then I found that magnification does not automatically come on when I focus (I thought as soon as the focus cam in the mount was moved, it magnified; then when I pushed the focus button on the front, I could not turn focus peaking off.

I find focus peaking a total pain in the arse - it obscures the area I want to concentrate on, defeating the benefit of magnification almost entirely.  I looked in the (useless) manual, and it says you can have magnification, or focus peaking or both - it’s switchable, but there is no instruction on how to do it.  Can anyone advise how to turn off the wrretched focus peaking?  I couldn’t find it in the Fotos App either …

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
John

I don't have the D, nor do I use the EVF.  But on the M10, using the focus ring to automatically magnify is set by going into the menu....Capture Assistants > Focus Aid > Automatic.  Maybe that helps.  On my SL2, I also disable focus peaking....unnecessary and distracting...and instead use auto magnify to fine tune AF by manually turning lens focus ring.

Jeff

9 hours ago, Jeff S said:

I don't have the D, nor do I use the EVF.  But on the M10, using the focus ring to automatically magnify is set by going into the menu....Capture Assistants > Focus Aid > Automatic.  Maybe that helps.  On my SL2, I also disable focus peaking....unnecessary and distracting...and instead use auto magnify to fine tune AF by manually turning lens focus ring.

Jeff

Helpful

How strange... I use the M10-D and the EVF regularly, and thought I could help you find the option in Fotos to turn off focus peaking. But I can't find it either! The manual does indeed state that peaking can be turned off (or the color changed), and simply says to use the app... but the only menu item I can find is 'Focus Aid,' which seems to only turn on/off the automatic zoom-on-focus setting.

I can't remember if this setting was previously in the app and was later removed, or indeed was never there.

Mysterious!

• Like 1

I've gone back and checked all the settings, and I am now sure that the ability to remove focus peaking has been removed, which is a pain.

I've set the "focus aid" in Settings to on (which re-establishes automatic magnification when you turn the focus tab on the lens), and I have set the files to DNG + JPG, with the JGP monochrome.  With the EVF, this makes the electronic image in black & white, which reduces the problems with the focus peaking somewhat.

I have sent a feature request to Leica.  Not sure anything will happen ...

On 12/8/2021 at 11:25 AM, IkarusJohn said:

I seem to recall you could turn it off in an earlier version od Fotos, but I can’t be certain.  Anyway, they say they’re working on it.  Don’t hold your breath …

How about auto-shutoff? You seen that disappear too? I've been wondering why my M10-D is dead every time I pick it up. 

vor 17 Minuten schrieb gotium:

How about auto-shutoff? You seen that disappear too? I've been wondering why my M10-D is dead every time I pick it up. 

i am wondering if you describe here a technical problem i have had with my M10-D quickly running hot & dead some months ago look here and problem resolution here ...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fenykepesz said:

i am wondering if you describe here a technical problem i have had with my M10-D quickly running hot & dead some months ago look here and problem resolution here ...

Thank you, but I don't think so - I found that auto-shutoff was simply disabled, and there was no option in the app to re-enable it. 

Tonight, 12 hours later, however, the option is back. So I turned it on again. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Almost 2 years later, seems this problem still exists.  The m10-d is my favorite digital camera and I'd gladly sell my m10-p and get another m10-d if I could remove focus peaking from the EVF.  I hardly ever use an EVF, but when I do it's usually to check for RF calibration of a new, or recently CLA'd lens.  And the focus peaking makes it useless.   I'd also like to be able to manually code a lens, but I'd be happy with just being able to turn off peaking. :)