SOLUTION : FLASH FOR LEICA CL

Capsr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello:

Just a quick note regarding an alternative flash for my new CL. FYI- The Olympus FL300R flash works on my Leica CL. I wasn't sure about trigger voltage , so I first used a WEIN HSHSB on the hot shoe and then mounted the Olympus FL300 R flash on top of the WEIN. After a bit of experimentation, I set the flash RC to OFF, then worked with various ISO , APERTURE and SHUTTER SPEEDS around 1/60 sec. I like diffused flash , so I bounced the flash off of a white ceiling. My intentions were to be able to light a group in my LR of 15 people.  Of course you do not have TTL, but my setting were ISO400 , F5.6 , 6.3, 7.1 and 1/60 second. Your results will possibly differ, but it certainly is an option,  instead of spending $500+ for a new Leica TTL flash.

Good luck and let me know how it worked for you. BTW, the OLYMPUS FL300R flash is much less expensive, low $100 range and for occasional use, it is the answer for me!   

SUCCESS!!

CAP

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your report. :)  All Leica cameras have 600V trigger circuits - No (fairly) recent flash could possibly damage the camera. And yes, all flashes with an automatic mode will work on the CL. Only if one wants to use TTL flash one must use a Leica branded one.

• Thanks 1

Thanks JAAPV.

Wasn't sure , but then I guess I really don't need to use the WEIN on the hot shoe . I can simply mount the Olympus FL300R on the hot shoe and it will be fine, operation the same?

Also , have you found another TTL capable aftermarket flash that works really well on the Leica CL .

Welcome to the forum. One advantage of using the Wien on camera is that it should trigger a remote flash with its radio link. I found that off-camera flash gave more natural results, although you method should work for closer ranges.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your report. :)  All Leica cameras have 600V trigger circuits - No (fairly) recent flash could possibly damage the camera. And yes, all flashes with an automatic mode will work on the CL. Only if one wants to use TTL flash one must use a Leica branded one.

How about the good ol' SF 20 in A mode? Will it damage the CL?  

Leica keeps changing from one TTL system to another and it's hard to keep up.  I have an SF 64 for serious use but the SF 20 remains my favourite. 

• Thanks 1

I recently bought a like-new SF 24 for a great price.
This flash is very practical, goes very well with the CL and provides excellent results.
I also found a Nikon SC-28 cord which allows the flash to be deported while retaining the TTL measurement.

Guytou

• Like 2

On 12/2/2021 at 3:14 PM, Guytou said:

I recently bought a like-new SF 24 for a great price.
This flash is very practical, goes very well with the CL and provides excellent results.
I also found a Nikon SC-28 cord which allows the flash to be deported while retaining the TTL measurement.

Guytou

May I ask whether the SF24 operates in TTL mode with the CL when directed mounted on the hotshoe?  Do you see the focal length, aperture and ISO transmit correctly to the flash? And does TTL flash exposure compensation still work and do you adjust on the flash or on the camera?  Do you get +/- 3 stops in 1/3 EV increments?

Hello cpclee,

No problem, the SF 24D works perfectly in TTL with the CL.
Whether mounted on the shoe or deported with the Nikon SC-28 or even SC-17 cable (I put the latter on sale because it duplicates me.)

The CL instruction manual also specifies that TTL flash metering is available with almost all Leica flash models, except the SF 20.
(See page 95 of the CL Owner's Manual.)

The small illuminated LCD screen of the flash then indicates the distance in meters of the range of the flash and the diaphragm set on the CL.
I can adjust exposure compensation either on the body or on the flash. It is faster with a dial of the CL.
Exposure compensation can also be obtained on the flash up to + or - 3 stops in 1/3 EV increments.

This little flash is really excellent, its size goes perfectly with that of the CL and it comes with two reflectors (GA or TV) as well as a small soft fabric cover.
It is easy to deport with these Nikon cables for indirect lighting and its price on occasion is interesting.

Guytou

Edited by Guytou
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2021 at 7:46 PM, Capsr said:

Thanks JAAPV.

Wasn't sure , but then I guess I really don't need to use the WEIN on the hot shoe . I can simply mount the Olympus FL300R on the hot shoe and it will be fine, operation the same?

Also , have you found another TTL capable aftermarket flash that works really well on the Leica CL .

There is no (aftermarket) TTL capable flash for Leica cameras other than the Leica branded ones.

5 hours ago, Guytou said:

Hello cpclee,

No problem, the SF 24D works perfectly in TTL with the CL.
Whether mounted on the shoe or deported with the Nikon SC-28 or even SC-17 cable (I put the latter on sale because it duplicates me.)

The CL instruction manual also specifies that TTL flash metering is available with almost all Leica flash models, except the SF 20.
(See page 95 of the CL Owner's Manual.)

The small illuminated LCD screen of the flash then indicates the distance in meters of the range of the flash and the diaphragm set on the CL.
I can adjust exposure compensation either on the body or on the flash. It is faster with a dial of the CL.
Exposure compensation can also be obtained on the flash up to + or - 3 stops in 1/3 EV increments.

This little flash is really excellent, its size goes perfectly with that of the CL and it comes with two reflectors (GA or TV) as well as a small soft fabric cover.
It is easy to deport with these Nikon cables for indirect lighting and its price on occasion is interesting.

Guytou

Thank you for confirming.  I've had the SF20 for >20 years and continue to use it til this day.  As I still shoot film (M6, R9), the SF24D is a very attractive option for me because it will give me TTL with the CL while retaining all the functionality the SF20 has with older cameras.

My understanding is the SF20 uses the Metz SCA 3501 interface and the SF24D probably uses the SCA 3502.  It's interesting to me that the CL can communicate with this protocol that Leica has long abandoned(?).   Does anyone know if this is true with Leica's other recent cameras?  

6 hours ago, Guytou said:

I'm familiar with the two reflectors, but what is the "soft fabric cover"?  Do you mean a bag or something for diffusing the light output?  Thanks.