Migration path from digital to analogue

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Due to lockdown and other personal reasons, I have not been motivated to go out and take pictures, my "creativity" is down and I find my photos to be boring.  I have a M10-D as my main camera, the reason I bought this was to force myself to shoot less and to slow down the process, like analogue shooting.

Today I came across one of Erwin Puts old blog, back in 2015, in which he reviewed the Leica SL camera.  Here is direct quote from his blog:

"It has been remarked that the current state-of-the-art of digital photography makes it very easy to take high-quality pictures easily without knowing about the technical details of photography or having much experience. This is indeed true and the SL does prove it. The modern digital photographer can use the SL as a point and shoot camera and produce pictures with a quality most analog photographers can only dream of. This is the snag: when one restricts oneself to capturing the usual content (landscapes, close-up nature scenes, portraits, pets, family, urban scenes in ambient and hardly available light and so on) the act of photography is in danger of becoming boring and so are the almost boring results because of the achieved perfection. Indeed the effect of the lazy eye of the photographer is becoming visible."

His comments has resonated me, I really want to further improve my skills as a photographer.  So I decided to buy a M-A, take both digital and analogue.  Order had been placed for one, just waiting for it to arrive.  Thanks for watching.

James

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

👍 James,

not to discourage you, the ordering of M-A is only first step and beginning of the journey.

From digital to film path is not easy practice, but pleasing only if processing the films yourself is part of the project.

Have fun 😉.

Start with looking at images in the “I like film” thread. It’s listed under “Other” in the Photo section of the forum. See what others are using and often both the type of film and developing techniques will be listed. Starting out, you will most likely to use a lab to process and scan your film. Look for a good lab and be sure they will return your negatives. Most importantly, unlike digital you have a finite number of images on each roll, so think about what and how you are going to photograph a subject. Remember, we’re always here to help.

A few words of advice, not directed at you specifically, but anyone.

1) Expect your pictures - as pictures - to actually get more boring in the first few efforts*, as you are distracted by learning technique and process.

2) "Process" can be a personal-growth opportunity, but on its own, pretty boring. No one ever got to Carnegie Hall (or the Albert Hall) just because they played perfect scales, or a Bösendorfer vs. a Yamaha, or an acoustic guitar vs. an electric guitar. There has to be emotional or intellectual content built into the music itself (or the photos). At which point it will move people, even if played on a Kazoo. ;)

3) If possible, try to set up at least a minimal lab space to make small prints as well as develop negs (I've done it in small bathrooms). Cost probably less than 1/4 the price of the M-A, with careful shopping. Scanned film and inkjet/web is OK if one already "knows" what a good silver print should look like - but one has to acquire that knowledge "in the bone" somehow. No need to jump into that right away, however.

The first time around (50 years ago) it took me probably 500 rolls and 2-3 years to produce my first "significant" photograph. And that was with the help of teachers. Going "back to" film in recent years (6x6 only), re-learning the process took about six months and 30 rolls or so to get proficient again.

Edited by adan
  • Like 1

I would also suggest the film section here in the "M" forum.  As Adan says above, expect to be disappointed with the first few rolls, but it does get better.  A couple of good books (available used) to pick up "The Leica Manual, The Complete Book of 35mm Photography"  published in 1973 by Morgan, Vestal and Broecker is an excellent source another is "Photography" by London and Upton (I paid $1.99 for it in a used book store) covering various formats not just 35mm photography.

Good luck with your journey into analog (real) photography!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks to everyone for their inputs.  First step I will get prints from my film rolls, once I am comfortable with the results, will process B&W films on my own.  Thens scanning the negatives using a DSLR camera.  Finally finally, darkroom wet printing is my goal.

Just a thought.  I enrolled in a local college taking photography classes as a senior.  After finishing the classes I'm able to use their darkroom, with all of their top quality gear, just need to bring my own chemicals/paper.  Having access to such a great resource really helps, especially when rekindling film processing skills.  The annual cost of access is under $100 - well worth it, plus there are a lot of experienced film hands that hang out there, offering advice and support.

My college is equipped to process everything from 35mm to large sheet film.  Worth checking out if you have access to similar resources.  It made my M-A lots of fun.  I've relearned the "sunny 16" rules of thumb and more times than not I get the shot I want without a meter or anything other than a plain old film camera.  When I want I can just add a digital camera body and have the best of both worlds.

I've been working on migrating from digital back to analog for the last year and a half for the reasons you highlighted in the Puts quote.

I've found that it's a bad idea to take a digital camera with me when I go out with the M2 or M3 because if I see a strong potential image I take it with the digital camera so that I can see that I have got the result I want immediately and process the image to my liking on the computer.

The best results I've had have come from deciding on a project that I would shoot exclusively on film, in my case the local drag racing scene. Leaving the digital camera at home has been the only way to avoid conflicts about which medium to shoot.

Chris

• Like 1

I started in analog first, way back in the early 1970s. I left photography in the 90s and 2000s, and only started to gain re-interest in the past 10 or so years. I’m in my late 50s now, and still figuring things out…

Of course, my second phase of photography involved digital gear, and I see the value in it, but something about using it nagged at me. Shooting film again allows me to reconnect with the processes I learned with, and my past (if I am to be honest with myself). I am now also intimately acquainted with “hybrid” film technology. 

I know now that digital can do things that film never could, and allows convenience and more spontaneity (in many cases). But film also does things that digital can’t do (yet?) - the way film reproduces light is unique. The look of the focus falloff is unique. Sometimes, I think that film can “see” air itself.  I feel, personally, that digital is more about shadows, and film is more about light. 

Both mediums have their pluses and minuses. Choose what you want to use, and use it to its innate strengths. 

15 hours ago, James6714 said:

Due to lockdown and other personal reasons, I have not been motivated to go out and take pictures, my "creativity" is down and I find my photos to be boring.  I have a M10-D as my main camera, the reason I bought this was to force myself to shoot less and to slow down the process, like analogue shooting.

Today I came across one of Erwin Puts old blog, back in 2015, in which he reviewed the Leica SL camera.  Here is direct quote from his blog:

"It has been remarked that the current state-of-the-art of digital photography makes it very easy to take high-quality pictures easily without knowing about the technical details of photography or having much experience. This is indeed true and the SL does prove it. The modern digital photographer can use the SL as a point and shoot camera and produce pictures with a quality most analog photographers can only dream of. This is the snag: when one restricts oneself to capturing the usual content (landscapes, close-up nature scenes, portraits, pets, family, urban scenes in ambient and hardly available light and so on) the act of photography is in danger of becoming boring and so are the almost boring results because of the achieved perfection. Indeed the effect of the lazy eye of the photographer is becoming visible."

His comments has resonated me, I really want to further improve my skills as a photographer.  So I decided to buy a M-A, take both digital and analogue.  Order had been placed for one, just waiting for it to arrive.  Thanks for watching.

James

Took the exact same journey a few months ago. After using the m10-d for a few years I decided to force myself learning more by ordering an m-a.
Apart from the learning of new skills and the good advices above, most important for me is the joy I have using the m-a. The m10-d is already great, but using a pure mechanical m, the feeling of it, the sound, simplicity and limitations, the process of waiting for developed film, etc. It’s is hard to describe, but it makes me very happy and feeling blessed to use it. And although results might be boring, or not interesting for others I am happy with the pictures taken, since they are meaningful to me. in the end that what matters I think. And the m-a is very capable of making that process a joy!
Picture below is just a picture of my wife during a little hike last month. And although nothing special, I love it for personal reasons and film added something for me.. I am looking forward to see yours in a little while! 🙂

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

16 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

👍 James,

not to discourage you, the ordering of M-A is only first step and beginning of the journey.

From digital to film path is not easy practice, but pleasing only if processing the films yourself is part of the project.

Have fun 😉.

I have an M-A and I do not process my own film and yet I get great satisfaction from using my camera. Yes I used to develop my own film, but those have passed into history. And yes it was a blast!!

@Lenscap, thanks for your tip, definitely will check out the local colleges.

@Brooktaw, I thought about the same thing to bring a camera OR use my iphone to pre-visualize the scene, but now I won't, "just dive into the deep end and swim".

1 hour ago, kivis said:

I have an M-A and I do not process my own film and yet I get great satisfaction from using my camera. Yes I used to develop my own film, but those have passed into history. And yes it was a blast!!

Having M-A * or another Leica M has nothing to do with the pleasing process of processing films oneself.

Two things very different or complementary depending on the person.

My point of view has nothing universal, just a fact for me, only me.

For decades, out of choice and lazyness (or lack of meanings ? ), I use my Leica M/R only for Kodachrome and having 'done' tens of thousands of those,

I never thought ( at that long color slide period) that one day I would use b&w films and processing films by myself.

When I discovered b&w film (sadly or happily 😉 in digital period ), I never use slide ** film again.

(Sometimes color negatives for lab processing, I tend to avoid this for many years now).

Satisfaction in taking pic. process and processing film after that discovery... naturally 'blended' each other.

foolishly purchased two of those in 2014, thinking use more films

those slides do have some hiding charms 🙂

Edited by a.noctilux

18 hours ago, James6714 said:

James

The starting point for my comments is:

• I am a photographer brought up on film, switched to digital around 2000, and now venturing into film again (large format colour & mono, and 35mm mono) including developing my own B&W.
  • I view Erwin Puts as the greatest authority on the technicalities of cameras and lenses, and someone to be ignored when he writes about good photographs and photography.

That said, there is a sad secret I have discovered both in my own work and that of many others: a photographer who uses a Leica SL and takes boring photographs (I have a SL2-S) is just as likely to take boring photographs with film. When Mr Puts avers that "the current state-of-the-art of digital photography makes it very easy to take high-quality pictures" remember he is only talking about the technical quality of the photos, not whether they are photos that anyone normal would want to look at.

Whether you use a film or digital camera, I hope your ambition is still to be a good photographer (i.e. take better photographs). IMO choosing film does not, on its own, help you do that.

None of which is to take away from the pleasure of shooting with film and processing your own films! (I have just spent an hour wandering around a wet Cambridge in the dark, taking boring photos with my M4).

• Like 1

I regularly shoot an M6 with B&W film, developed and printed in my darkroom.  I thoroughly enjoy my darkroom time.  Scanning film never interested me, as the analog nature of film ought to be end-to-end, IMHO.

I suggest you pick up an inexpensive film camera, some B&W film, a development tank, chemicals, and have a go.  Once you have some negatives, find a used enlarger and development trays and print them.

I find that almost everyone I give B&W print to is thrilled to receive it.

Enjoy.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, James6714 said:

"It has been remarked that the current state-of-the-art of digital photography makes it very easy to take high-quality pictures easily without knowing about the technical details of photography or having much experience. This is indeed true and the SL does prove it. 

The answer is easy, and very evident found in the behaviour on the forum, a digital camera is bought and it's demonstrated as being awesome. Then the next upgrade digital camera is bought and demonstrated for its awesome power, and so on. To some it can negate the previous photos (because they are now crap), but the cycle starts again of repeating everything over and over again, but just with a new digital camera. With film you have a datum point where nobody can say 'I love my M11 more than I loved my M10' and continue the hype, your roll of film is as good in a Nikon or a Leica, there is no bullshit.

• Like 6

I develop B&W film (never enjoyed developing/printing color...nasty chemicals) but have long since given up the darkroom for a hybrid workflow.  Once ink jet printers reached the point where it was virtually impossible (for me) to tell ink from silver print when displayed behind glass at two foot plus viewing distance the darkroom went away. Maybe it's just my eyes getting worse and I know many will chime in with comments as to the difference but after spending many, many years in darkrooms and taking classes/workshops from greats (including Bruce Barnbaum and a short workshop from AA himself)  well done ink jet prints "are close enough" for me.

Edited by Sailronin