Auto ISO Range

T.J.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is there a way to set a range for Auto-ISO?  For example, say I want the minimum ISO to be 800 and the maximum to be 6400.  This could be useful in a low light profile where I set a relatively slow minimum shutter speed, but I really don't want to go there unless I have to.  Said another way, I would rather a faster shutter speed at IS0 800 than a slower one at ISO 100.  Thanks!

Edited by T.J.

Yes, I am quite aware of setting the minimum shutter speed.  Let’s say I’m willing to go down to 1/30 if I really need to, but I would rather have 1/250.  If I could set the minimum ISO to 800, the camera would give me 1/250 at ISO 800 instead of 1/30 at ISO 100, while still preserving the option of going down to 1/30 at ISO 800 if the lighting conditions required it. It would be a useful feature (it’s available on another manufacturers camera’s whose name begins with N) and I hope Leica adds it in the future. 

17 minutes ago, T.J. said:

Yes, I am quite aware of setting the minimum shutter speed.  Let’s say I’m willing to go down to 1/30 if I really need to, but I would rather have 1/250.  If I could set the minimum ISO to 800, the camera would give me 1/250 at ISO 800 instead of 1/30 at ISO 100, while still preserving the option of going down to 1/30 at ISO 800 if the lighting conditions required it. It would be a useful feature (it’s available on another manufacturers camera’s whose name begins with N) and I hope Leica adds it in the future. 

My Nikon Z 7 II does not allow setting minimum ISO in Auto ISO setting. Which model supports it?

A minimum ISO setting does not guarantee a minimum shutter speed unless the light and aperture do not change. Only the minimum shutter speed setting, which you can set to 1/250 when needed, works reliably.

1 hour ago, T.J. said:

D6 and D850. 

Strange. My D850 has only Maximum ISO, Maximum ISO with flash and Minimum shutter speed as options for Auto ISO sensitivity control. There is no Minimum ISO setting.

Edited by SrMi

Not sure which M you are using. But the M10 has a nice rotary wheel for ISO.

Set the aperture of your choice. When you scroll the ISO wheel, you will see both the ISO and Speed in your viewfinder. I usually keep it at about 800 and scroll clockwise to increase or anticlockwise to decrease the ISO.

Program the minimum shutter speed to the lowest you can work with at any focal length (for me it's usually 1/2f). With speed set to A, the camera will select the highest speed at any given ISO keeping the lowest set to what you specify. If ISO is too low, you will underexpose.

In any case, if you want to increase speed you can use the speed dial.

The M is a manual rangefinder will minimal controls. You really can't compare it to an advanced digital camera which may come with a lot of programming options..

Edited by rramesh

9 hours ago, SrMi said:

Strange. My D850 has only Maximum ISO, Maximum ISO with flash and Minimum shutter speed as options for Auto ISO sensitivity control. There is no Minimum ISO setting.

D850, Photo Shooting Menu, ISO Sensitivity.  The ISO Sensitivity setting is the minimum ISO the camera will use (in P-A-S mode, not manual).  

For those who have responded with other ways of doing this, I know them.  The origin of this post was I thought perhaps I was missing something in the settings for the M (or my Q2).  The rest of my comments are more directed at Leica saying this would be a nice feature to have and my guess it would be a simple one to implement via firmware.  I would find it useful and I hope they will consider it.

I should add, the reason for this is setting up a low light profile for use with my M10-R and Q2 in Aperture Priority using Auto-ISO.  I would like the camera to select the fastest shutter speed available consistent with a reasonable ISO (say 800).  I don't need the camera to select the slowest shutter speed I would accept if I had to at ISO 100, when a slightly faster shutter speed at a slightly higher ISO would be preferable.  So yes, I know I can set all of that and that's what I do now.

Edited by T.J.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, T.J. said:

D850, Photo Shooting Menu, ISO Sensitivity.  The ISO Sensitivity setting is the minimum ISO the camera will use (in P-A-S mode, not manual).  

<snip>

Cool, thanks!. After all this years with Nikon, I did not know that that setting affects Auto ISO :).

14 hours ago, T.J. said:

I should add, the reason for this is setting up a low light profile for use with my M10-R and Q2 in Aperture Priority using Auto-ISO.  I would like the camera to select the fastest shutter speed available consistent with a reasonable ISO (say 800).  I don't need the camera to select the slowest shutter speed I would accept if I had to at ISO 100, when a slightly faster shutter speed at a slightly higher ISO would be preferable.  So yes, I know I can set all of that and that's what I do now.

i don’t understand why the camera choose a slower shutter speed when ISO value not hitting the maximum value.