Stock M6 Strap?

dbla

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey all,

I just purchase a black M6 classic with the full box/papers/strap and I'm wondering if any of you would suggest USING the stock strap? I kinda like the thin leather look, but is it worth more to leave it wrapped up in the case? I could easily source another similar leather strap... 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

AndreasG is correct, that's not a stock strap. The one shipped with the camera was fabric with a rubber non slip pad and the connectors were designed to be held in place with a plastic cover to keep it from marking the top plate. The stock strap is 14312 and is a very good strap.

14312 the best strap in the world, writing J. Martyr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, nitroplait said:

Yeah. The Leica nylon stock strap is my favourite strap of all. No. 2 is the black narrow nylon strap from Nikon.

Too bad you didn't get the original.

Nikon is excellent, but I prefer Contax G straps, central part is leather, terminals are nylon, even thinner and more flexible than Nikons. 

Side note, since my first M6 + 14312 I do use on other cameras also

"J. Martyr wrote"

You’ve got the reliability of a metal split-ring but with open ends that are easy to install/uninstall.   

The locking plastic cover also serves to protect the top plate from scratching/brassing.  INGENIOUS!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nitroplait said:

Yeah. The Leica nylon stock strap is my favourite strap of all. No. 2 is the black narrow nylon strap from Nikon.

Too bad you didn't get the original.

In an act of terrible sacrilege I have that Nikon strap, the AN-4B, on my vintage Leica IIIg ER case (which already has captive strap rings, so the fabric loops of the NIkon strap make more sense than the 14312's clever rings would). Both are no-nonsense straps with relatively subtle branding by modern standards, and do a better job than many more expensive designer alternatives. I wouldn't want to use anything other than the 14312 on my M6. Rather ominously, it's out of stock at the UK online Leica store - I hope they haven't stopped making it.

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

"J. Martyr wrote"

You’ve got the reliability of a metal split-ring but with open ends that are easy to install/uninstall.   

The locking plastic cover also serves to protect the top plate from scratching/brassing.  INGENIOUS!

So how do these split rings work?? I’m intrigued. Looks similar to this guy’s stuff: https://www.luigicases.com/a000-STRAPS-page.htm

49 minutes ago, dbla said:

So how do these split rings work?? I’m intrigued. Looks similar to this guy’s stuff: https://www.luigicases.com/a000-STRAPS-page.htm

Not split ring ... but clever fastener system.

Need to practice a bit how to attach the ring, then remember to push the plastic retainer to 'click' so the attachment is secured.

From Leica manual

2 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

"J. Martyr wrote"

I just received a near-mint M6 With its original 14312 strap, probably unused. The cut edges of the metal wire ends of the anchor rings were so sharp that I decided to give them a quick pass with the Dremel sander. Didn't quite trust those plastic covers for them. Anybody else with this experience?

No, i don't like the original strap, i´m using a Eddycam-Strap for my M6 like for my M10 (M6 bought this week :-)) and a Oberwerth-Halfcase for protection....

Not the "original look and feel", but i like it :-))))

Edited by HPFM