Annoying experience installing CL firmware 4.1

M9reno

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've just wasted half my evening getting my head around the installation of the latest CL firmware.

- Tried several cards.

- Formatted them using SDFormatter, then in-camera.

- Went to the Leica website download area and downloaded the file.

https://leica-camera.com/en-GB/photography/cameras/cl-tl/cl-black/firmware

Again and again and again, each time getting the message: "No firmware on SD card found"

The problem, it turned out is in the name assigned to the firmware on the site itself:  pm-53973-CL___41_.lfu

As soon as I deleted the prefix "pm-53973-" leaving only CL___41_.lfu all was good.

Why in the world has that prefix been left there... by Leica???  😡

• Like 3

vor 19 Stunden schrieb M9reno:

I've just wasted half my evening getting my head around the installation of the latest CL firmware.

- Tried several cards.

- Formatted them using SDFormatter, then in-camera.

- Went to the Leica website download area and downloaded the file.

https://leica-camera.com/en-GB/photography/cameras/cl-tl/cl-black/firmware

Again and again and again, each time getting the message: "No firmware on SD card found"

The problem, it turned out is in the name assigned to the firmware on the site itself:  pm-53973-CL___41_.lfu

As soon as I deleted the prefix "pm-53973-" leaving only CL___41_.lfu all was good.

Why in the world has that prefix been left there... by Leica???  😡

I had my CL repaired by Leica late summer, it came back with FW 4.0 not 4.1. I decided to try to do the update, and yes the prefix messed it up, took it off and the camera was updated. Thanks for going through this first, I had another piece of software give me frustrating problems today don't know how I would have reacted. All is well.

• Like 1

This filename problem is a change likely created when they updated the website (fairly recently). I downloaded firmware v4.1 in July and it downloaded with the correct filename. Another regression (bug) in the website revamp ... sigh. Now it's actually far more difficult to find the darn download link then it was in July. In fact, the only way I can find it is to use the link in the initial post in this thread: going into the website from the start, it's simply not presented anywhere. 

I sent them (yet another) bug report. 🤯

G

Edited by ramarren

1 hour ago, ramarren said:

This filename problem is a change likely created when they updated the website (fairly recently). I downloaded firmware v4.1 in July and it downloaded with the correct filename. Another regression (bug) in the website revamp ... sigh. Now it's actually far more difficult to find the darn download link then it was in July. In fact, the only way I can find it is to use the link in the initial post in this thread: going into the website from the start, it's simply not presented anywhere. 

I sent them (yet another) bug report. 🤯

G

What email address do you use to send web-related bug reports? Thanks!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

22 minutes ago, SrMi said:

What email address do you use to send web-related bug reports? Thanks!

I send bug reports and enhancement suggestions, whether regarding the Leica.com website or the products, to the standard Leica USA customer service email address: 

technicalinfo@leicacamerausa.com

It's up to them to determine which of their workgroups the bug/request should be owned by and address it. I usually get a confirmation email that they've received my input and sometimes a request for more information. 

G

9 minutes ago, ramarren said:

I send bug reports and enhancement suggestions, whether regarding the Leica.com website or the products, to the standard Leica USA customer service email address: 

technicalinfo@leicacamerausa.com

It's up to them to determine which of their workgroups the bug/request should be owned by and address it. I usually get a confirmation email that they've received my input and sometimes a request for more information. 

G

Thanks, that is the one I used. Have not seen any reaction apart from the automatic response.

2 minutes ago, SrMi said:

Thanks, that is the one I used. Have not seen any reaction apart from the automatic response.

I usually phrase my input such that a response is expected. For instance, in reporting that the website now makes finding the firmware V4.1 very difficult, I asked for either a link or a procedure to allow me to access the appropriate link. The confirmation response is usually followed by a response within a day or three. 

G

• Thanks 1