Your Favorite 400 ISO B/W film

kivis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/10/2022 at 3:50 PM, Fotoklaus said:

TMAX 400 in D76 1:1 is my everyday Combo. 400 ISO with relatively fine grain and everything from black to white in there.

D76 is very stable. I could develop films after one year from the same stock dilution and gives me nice results.

If there is no TMAX 400 available I would prefer HP5.

Totally agree.

There is only one b&w film which gives results exactly as I like - Kodak T-MAX 400.

I wish I could say something about all the rest.I use them, but I put them in completely different group.

I have tested a lot and always come back to Tmax400/ D76. I can use box speed and develop at the given time from the data sheet with perfect (as long as I do my part...) results. No sudden death of a developer, no extra time/ f-stop/ anything else needed.

So I can put my attention completely on taking pictures. Makes it relaxed.

• 2 weeks later...

Tri-X and D76 1:1 has been my standard 400 since my first Leica1977. Second favourite @125 is Ilford FP4(+) in D76 1:1 or Rodinal 1:75.  Over the years Tri-X has changed and today I find Tri-X in 120 film better than in 135 format. Is it the really the same emulotion formula in both films? I see the colouring from the anti-halo of the 120 format after development but not in 135. Maybe even that the 135 is more grainy. Thankful for insights.

Edited by Bo-Sixten

On 11/30/2021 at 9:41 AM, Topsy said:

Back in the days of film only I preferred Ilford FP4 but for 400 or pushing HP5 or Tri-X. These days I choose my film to suit what I am shooting if specifically B&W it will be gritty/grainy shots so Tri-X will normally be my choice but TBH if I am just shooting generally I will load Portra 160 or 400 and convert later in Lightroom any that I think are B&W worthy. I did an exercise a couple of years ago with Tri-X vs Portra shot at the same time with 35mm lenses on my M2 and MP, I liked the scanned files from the Portra better for general shots but the Tri-X would be better for certain types of shot.

Tri-X.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Portra converted.

Hi , when I compared my photos converted "color to black white"  I notice a "loss of detail in the shadows"  > under the window

and the details are more visible in TX crop  ....  and it is confirmed on your Portra photo converted to black white ...  it is even 

better highlighted value  if you compare from your original photo scanned in TIFF and then cropped 100%

...  and identical remark on the black door on the left  😀

Best 

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Thanks 1

I have spent a few weeks working through Tri-X, TMax 400, HP5+ and Delta 400. My eyes could not see enough difference between the Ilford and Kodak films to justify the price, so I have settled on Delta 400 for 35mm and HP5+ for 4x5. When I've got used to these (and I still have some Tri-X 320 in 4x5 to use), I will try the same exercise with cheaper films.

I too like Delta and Tmax... I find that they give almost digital results with very little grain. 

Because of this, my favourite is Tri-X - despite it delivering less “perfect” looking photos (and my consistency is lower with it also than when I shoot tmax ).  But the character and grain of Tri-x just draws me in so I pick it every time I can.  Like many I use HP5 as a back up or alternative 

Edited by grahamc