Your Favorite 400 ISO B/W film

It's a little expensive but a fun film to try is Kodak 5222 XX film. It's cheap in the 400' rolls but if you just want a a couple of respooled rolls it's eight or ten dollars a roll. The film is rated at ISO 250 and has a wide latitude. Here's an example using my M4 with a Voigtlander 35 Ultron ASPH, 022 filter at ISO 125.

Edited by madNbad

Right now I'm using Ilford HP5+, on my first 100 foot roll so still working out best combinations.  I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked at ISO 1600 with Rodinal 1:25, really the first time I've ever pushed a film over one stop. I develop in Rodinal 1:25 at 8 minutes at ISO 400 and 11 minutes for ISO 1600, both at 20C.

I'm currently working my way to only using TMax 400. Having tried a number of other B&W emultions, TMax has been the best fit and the most versitile for me.

M4 Voigtlander 35 Ultron ASPH 022 filter, TMY at ISO 200, HC-110B

I found my best 400 ISO film : Neopan 400 which Fujifilm discontinued so many years ago.

I purchased so many I could but I wanted some replacements now available.

HP5 + is not bad and Tmax 400 can be "better" for some situations (finer grain than Neopan lovely grain).

I think the best film is better learned to use/adapt to our tastes.

Edited by a.noctilux
4 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

I found my best 400 ISO film : Neopan 400 which Fujifilm discontinued so many years ago.

I purchased so many I could but I wanted some replacements now available.

HP5 + is not bad and Tmax 400 can be "better" for some situations (finer grain than Neopan lovely grain).

I think the best film is better learned to use/adapt to our tastes.

Agree about Neopan, and wish Fuji would bring it back.  That *was* the best 400 film...

4 hours ago, Danner said:

Agree about Neopan, and wish Fuji would bring it back.  That *was* the best 400 film...

Happily, I still have some rolls of Neopan 400 and 1600 (of course expired ! ).

I use them sparsely for some years now.

Processing 'right' is a challenge though, 6 to 7 minutes (or very short 4-5 for N 1600) for N 400 with T-Max dev. 1+4 .

I'd love to say Delta 400 for medium format because I do like it but I've had far too many rolls destroyed by backing paper 'measels' and I won't use it again until the problem has been eradicated, so I'll say HP5+ or Delta 400 for mf.  No such problem with 35mm Delta 400, though.

I wanted to try Ilfords' T grain film so I bought several rolls of Delta 400. I liked it, just like the TMax better.

M4, 35 Ultron ASPH, Delta 400 at ISO 400, Ilfotec HC: