Macro-Elmar-M F/4 V1 Infinity focus issue?

AllNoAll

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey,

I just purchased the Macro M Kit, that comes with the Macro-Elmar-M F/4 V1 lens. This lens wasn't focusing accurately with the rangefinder on my M246 in close to medium distances. I tested focusing on my 35mm lens and it was also a bit off at close to medium distances. I adjusted the focusing CAM using a 2mm hex wrench, and focusing on both lenses is now perfect at close to medium distances. Including using the macro adapter on the 90mm.

But now my infinity doesn't seem to be set right. When I focus to infinity, meaning just set the lens to infinity, the rangefinder patch does not match up on far away subjects, and my shots are a bit out of focus on infinity objects. On the other hand if I just focus the lens so the patch aligns on these distant subjects they are in perfect focus. These subjects are definitely beyond the 10 meter mark on the lens, but truth be told they are not on the horizon itself. It seems like the lens is focusing on these far away subjects somewhere between 10 meters and infinity on the actual lens. Is this normal behavior? Generally speaking I'd rather have the focus set like this. Do I need to adjust the focus throw too. Not sure I want to attempt this. Thoughts?

Thanks,

6 hours ago, lct said:

How much experience do you have in fixing rangefinders? If you have none or little of it i would quit juggling with your wrench and ask Leica or a good repair shop :cool:.

Little to none, and I hear you! I of course did some research before attempting to adjust the focus. After testing focus on my lenses today after I posted this it looks like I actually did a pretty good job. I'm sure the focus throw and parallax correction could be adjusted but I'm not attempting that. I will get it in the hands of a Leica service technician as soon as I can. For now my images are in focus at least! Thanks for slapping me in the face, and getting me to put on the brakes to my stupidity!

• Thanks 1