28 Lux prone to misalignment

dkmoore

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m convinced that the 28 Lux is prone to focus issues. I bought a brand new copy when it came out that had to go back and forth to leica multiple times before it was finally right. I eventually got annoyed with the side and sold it. 

About a year ago I started the journey trying to find a properly aligned copy. I’ve bought 5 copies over the prior 12 or more months and every single one had focus issues. I returned all of them. 3 of those 5 from reputable Leica dealers. 

This includes a copy I just bought directly from Leica. Backfocusing like crazy. At this point I’m very keenly aware of how to check this.  Eliminated cameras etc. must be a difficult lens to calibrate. Never sell a Leica lens is true. 

🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, overexposed said:

Did you focus with the rangefinder? or with EVF?

Shot wide open? or stopped down?

fast lenses do tend to be difficult to focus wide open

I’m very proficient with the rangefinder. When I have the suspicion something isn’t right I test multiple lenses and multiple cameras, all M platform. Any time I’ve thought there is an issue, the Leica technicians in Allendale have confirmed. All my other gear is good. 

I think most people wouldn’t even notice their 28 is mis calibrated. Sometimes the issue is 10-30ft which isn’t always apparent.  28, even at 1.4 isn’t difficult to focus. Way easier then my longer fast lenses.  

I also have a suspicion that many M photographers have no clue when their gear is aligned. I’ve even had to show a couple of professional Leica users that their gear was off (one very well known). 

anyway, I think the 28 Lux is simply a tricky lens from a mechanical standpoint. 

Edited by dkmoore

31 minutes ago, 84bravo said:

Maybe I got lucky, but I bought a used 28 Summilux a couple of years ago and it's dead on. I've never had any problems with it (touch wood). It's one of my most used lenses.

You are lucky in my book. I’m sure most people have good luck with this lens or simply don’t realize it’s not perfectly calibrated (not saying you wouldn’t). 

I have a 65 year old rigid that focuses better on my M10R and M10M. The 28 just came from Allendale. For the record, this isn’t really a complaint thread because Leica will fix it for me. 

It’s more an observation that I bet there are a lot out there that are in use that aren’t within tolerance. I’ve bought at least 50 Leica  lenses over the years so I have a lot of experience buying, selling, and using. And I’m OCD to the max. 

Edited by dkmoore

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 minutes ago, 84bravo said:

I almost always use this lens wide open. Why else pay the premium for f1.4? It's tack sharp every time.

Excellent, chalk it up to a win for you. 

I do like the rendering at 1.4 but definitely use it at other apertures as well. 

Edited by dkmoore

Is there a specific distance at which you found the problem?  I haven’t noticed back-focus on mine, but then I might have just decided I mis-focused.  I’m happy to set up a focusing chart and test mine at a metre, at each aperture with and without EVF; but testing all distances at all apertures might be more than I can be bothered with …. I guess to be noticable, you’re also looking at 5 metres or so?

My first 28lux was backfocusing I had to use it with LV to focus accurately. I had to send it to Leica to fix (they confirmed it was not my body but the lens) and I eventually sold it. My 2nd 28lux was fine out of the box. It was a silver one (doubt the colour makes a diff since they are both anodised aluminium unlike brass vs aluminium). Not a big sample size but I can understand your annoyance.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

Is there a specific distance at which you found the problem?  I haven’t noticed back-focus on mine, but then I might have just decided I mis-focused.  I’m happy to set up a focusing chart and test mine at a metre, at each aperture with and without EVF; but testing all distances at all apertures might be more than I can be bothered with …. I guess to be noticable, you’re also looking at 5 metres or so?

I actually didn’t test this latest copy until after I just walked around DC early yesterday morning. I was grabbing a coffee and checking out my images and noticed it didn’t seem right.  I then did simple tests and realized short distance was off. If I focus on a lock, the sharpest point was 6” behind and acceptable focus area extended further out from that point. Consistently did this on both cameras. 

what I found with other copies is mid focus issues, 10-30 feet. I’ve had this issue on almost every copy. Leica can fix it but has to go to Germany if you are in the US. 

• Like 1

60+ year old rigid focuses great on M10M and M10R. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hello,

it's funny because I've got the same feeling with my 28lux.
Couldn't really figure out if it was the lens or my skills. It is slightly back focus and very frustrating to have the ears sharp and not the eyebrow. Well, women like it.

I thought it could be the de-centering composition, as technically, I have to move more to not put the subject in the center after focusing, compared to a 50mm.

With your topic, now I'm sure that mine is also misaligned.

Thanks

It is a known problem - the Summilux 50 asph had the same symptom: misfocus at close distances; the mechanical tolerances on the floating element are so narrow that it is very hard to manufacture and can be a few thousands of a mm out of spec. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jaapv said:

It is a known problem - the Summilux 50 asph had the same symptom: misfocus at close distances; the mechanical tolerances on the floating element are so narrow that it is very hard to manufacture and can be a few thousands of a mm out of spec. 

Hadn’t heard this with 28 Lux but this makes sense.

the mid focus issue I’ve found multiple times is likely the same result. 

Edited by dkmoore

21 hours ago, mmradman said:

Damn, why did I read this thread? Mine is I think also misaligned, did some quick testing at close distance and max f stop.  

Maybe M is supposed to mean misaligned, EVF M mount camera is long overdue.

Hopefully yours is fine. Fingers crossed. 

Okay, so I set up my M10-D on a tripod, angled at about 45º pretty much at minimum focusing distance, f/1.4.

First with OVF

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Then with EVF

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dkmoore said:

Hopefully yours is fine. Fingers crossed. 

I did optical RF vs EVF focus at f1.4 and there is noticeable difference at close range - about 1.5m or 5 feet.  The camera I used (M246) focuses well with my other lenses including tricky Summilux 75 and APO Summicron 90.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IkarusJohn said:

Okay, so I set up my M10-D on a tripod, angled at about 45º pretty much at minimum focusing distance, f/1.4.

First with OVF

Then with EVF

Look like one happy customer.

• Like 1