How do you know if an M is repainted or original black painted?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, pippy said:

Hopefully the OP will allow me to ask Michael a slightly off-topic question regarding the MDa as it may be of some general interest to members reading this thread?

With the MDa does the body still have all the r/f hardware such as the roller-cam etc? I've never had any of the 'scientific' bodies in-hand so don't know how stripped-down (or otherwise) they might be. Similar question regarding the M1; no r/f stuff in the viewfinder but inside the lens-throat?

Lastly I was thinking that I had seen black-chrome MDa bodies but, of course, these would all have been the slightly later MD-2 cameras.

Philip.

8 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Philip,

I can say that my two MDa have none of the RF mechanism, no coupling so it's very light.

For example, one MDa is 472g when M4 (variable for reasons I don't know) about 560g.

( taken from French Camera )

Hello Philip & Arnaud,

Thank you for the photo & explanation Arnaud.

Most of the time M1's have the viewfinder & frame line illuminator windows open with the rangefinder window blocked. But not always. Some times M1's have all 3 windows blocked.

Generally the M1's delivered with viewfinder & frame line illuminator windows open have an operable rangefinder cam mechanism because the frame lines are similar to & move like the frame lines in an M2. 

The difference is that there is only 1 set of frame lines which display both the 50mm frame & the 35mm frame at the same time.

Best Regards,

Michael

2 minutes ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

...Generally the M1's delivered with viewfinder & frame line illuminator windows open have an operable rangefinder cam mechanism because the frame lines are similar to & move like the frame lines in an M2. The difference is that there is only 1 set of frame lines which display both the 50mm frame & the 35mm frame at the same time.

Thank you for the reply Michael. So one would get automatic parallax correction; just no r/f.

Very Interesting!

Philip.